• Thinking
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Veggedout
  • Worried
  • Wtf
  • Yeehaw
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Songwriter goes in on a prejudiced twitter marathon against African Americans

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Re: Songwriter goes in on a prejudiced twitter marathon against African Americans

So you're saying her expression isn't acceptable, but some of her rationals behind it are?

is Lovely

I am:
      ----

Re: Songwriter goes in on a prejudiced twitter marathon against African Americans

Quote Originally Posted by Mark101 View Post
      People still bitching about the slave trade is really funny,how about all the europeans that were taken as slaves in the 16-17th centuries.I'm British and we were enslaved by the vikings and romans but how often do you hear us whinging about it? Some afro-american woman tried to take Lloyds of London to court in 2004 because they insured the ships that took the slaves to America and that got laughed out of court as i remember,they really should shake off their victim mindset as it will just hold them back in the long run.
      The difference is that Africans who were brought to the Americas, particularly North America, had their history wiped out. Their native names, families split apart, religion and spirituality, culture, heritage and even their native language were all lost. The difference is that 500+ years of captivity devastated a people so much that we lost our very identities, even our status as human beings was lost. In the United States, until the early 20th century, Africans in America were not even considered human beings, not just socially, but this was the institutionalized law at the time that we were only three-fifths, or less, of a human being. This isn't a competition of whose people's enslavement was worse; all enslavement and torture is horrific. It's about being aware of the levels of cruelty, intensity and duration of it that creates these distorted views of an entire race of people. Africans in North America were arguably among the worst treated people in the world from the early 16th century until the middle of the 20th.

Not crying about it, but you seem to be trivializing a large part of history that killed millions of African people and damned their future generations to living without a clue of who they are and where they came from. And you don't whine about it as a British person because when you rule the world you aren't exactly at the bottom of the pit. No one's writing books about how your people are at the bottom of the so-called "bell curve" of intelligence. No one's writing books about how your people are the least attractive "apes" on the planet.

And no one's making comments about your people being eradicated from the Earth for being subhuman apes incapable of anything but being a lighter-skinned person's slave. When was the last time you were the first suspect of a crime, had the trial skipped, and was lynched for it simply because your skin is darker? When was the last time... Man, I can't with y'all right now, so I'll just say you got everything out of slavery but the burden, which we carry today, still, even though we aren't slaves.

And the topic isn't "bitching about slavery," it's just that it's important to know how that part of history still affects us now and how we're perceived everyday, which contributes to why Jenny has the opinions she does. It would be an injustice to discuss African-American history all the while conveniently omitting that huge part which made up 90% of our existence in this country. It wasn't an event that happened and just went away because slavery was outlawed; it was a mental and social breakdown of the African woman and the African man in America, which unfortunately doesn't break as easily as the physical chains.

But I don't believe you or pit or Jenny are capable of understanding this, with neither of you having to ever feel or be fully aware of the effects of this generational breakdown. Not slavery, but the breakdown.
      Last edited by Prinnctopher's Belt; 22nd February 2012 at 04:27 AM.
      "What does it mean for a civilization to be a million years old?"

http://mkaku.org/home/?page_id=246

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

So whats the solution? Your ancestors who were directly affected by slavery have suffered and passed on so how long do you plan on suffering on their behalf?Racism just is what it is and its always gonna exist and it isn't just white on black as some would have you believe.Racism exists in many cultures around the world based on ignorance and fear of others etc.. but why dont you just worry about you and your family and try and live your life.You cant live in the past or it forever holds you back,look at the jewish community they suffered just as many indignities and horrors.They were almost completely wiped off the face of the earth but they dont walk around with this victim mentality the whole time thinking that the world owes them something,they cracked on and made something of themselves.People resent them but speaking of british jews i'd say they put us non jewish folk to shame when it comes to getting educated and being successfull in life.Maybe the solution is to return to Africa and reclaim it,return to your ancestral home i dont know,would that work? What is it you actually want? Because if the answer is that you just dont wanna hear racist comment's then it's an unrealistic wish really,every race of human being of all skin types have derogatory remarks made about them on this earth and not just black people.

is Lovely

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Mark101 View Post
      So whats the solution? Your ancestors who were directly affected by slavery have suffered and passed on so how long do you plan on suffering on their behalf?Racism just is what it is and its always gonna exist and it isn't just white on black as some would have you believe.Racism exists in many cultures around the world based on ignorance and fear of others etc.. but why dont you just worry about you and your family and try and live your life.You cant live in the past or it forever holds you back,look at the jewish community they suffered just as many indignities and horrors.They were almost completely wiped off the face of the earth but they dont walk around with this victim mentality the whole time thinking that the world owes them something,they cracked on and made something of themselves.People resent them but speaking of british jews i'd say they put us non jewish folk to shame when it comes to getting educated and being successfull in life.Maybe the solution is to return to Africa and reclaim it,return to your ancestral home i dont know,would that work? What is it you actually want? Because if the answer is that you just dont wanna hear racist comment's then it's an unrealistic wish really,every race of human being of all skin types have derogatory remarks made about them on this earth and not just black people.
      That wasn't the point. The point was to bring up the history that involved slavery because it shaped the way we are perceived, particularly the way Jenny perceives us. Not to bring it up as an *excuse* for any type of "victim mentality."

And relating persecution of the Jews to the systematic degradation of the African man and woman in America is not comparable. The Jews retained their heritage, culture, language, religion, etc. You retained yours as well. We had nothing to retain, no knowledge of past or self, not saying Africans are the only ones of every persecuted people in the history of the world to have had this done to them. After abolition, Africans had to start from blanks and assimilate into a nation, a culture, an entire society that didn't want us, and then had to fight just to be able to walk down the street or go to school, or be tried fairly, or just exist, for example.

Also, groups of African Americans did return to Africa so many years after their captivity, that when they returned, they weren't recognized and the nation which became known as Liberia, ironically, became a central capital of warfare between the African Americans who returned, and the people who were already there.

The "go back to Africa" chant doesn't work because we have become so assimilated to American culture, we have nothing in common there. Hence, a lost people struggling to fit in where we were born, but not wanted. Giving an excuse for racism and this woman's pathetically misinformed tirade is beyond revealing of one's ignorance of how the past has formed the present, particularly with regard to how slavery has directly influenced both states of "Black" America - the successful struggles, and the unfortunate shortcomings that are so obvious they don't even need to be mentioned. Yes, people today who are not in slavery are still affected by what happened during that period. It wasn't so long ago that it ended and it was only, what, not even 60 years ago were we fully legally able to get an equal education as our white peers.

But, it's always funny to see someone use the terms "victim mentality" whenever the history of Africans in America is discussed, as if people wake up in the morning and say "man, all of my people for the past 500+ years were slaves, and THAT'S why I didn't pay my bills this month!" Not at all. But for someone to speak so much vitriol about us, maybe it's helpful to be able to understand what contributed to producing the misconceptions about us and even the stereotypes among ourselves. It's a lot easier to just make ignorant remarks such as "screw those savage apes! leeches! toxic," than to make thoughtful, legitimate criticisms from at least a halfway informed perspective.
      Last edited by Prinnctopher's Belt; 22nd February 2012 at 06:47 AM.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I believe slavery was more of a class issue than a race one, as there were millions of white indentured servants in Britain and America who suffered horrible treatment along with the black slaves. The rich tortured, exploited and built their dreams on the backs of the poor.

And Princtosopher's Belt, you sound as if you just escaped your slave master yesterday. Well, I got news for you, so did other oppressed peoples in other corners of the world. I believe we should worry about the poor citizens of Syria right now.
      If I'm a Nobody, it's only because society has made it too Goddamn Stressful to be a Somebody. - Me

Reality bites. - Winona Ryder

"Ye who suffer, suffer from yourselves. No one else compels." Fuck that.

Account Closed
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pit View Post
      Floyd Mayweather was out of place, not Jenny Hyun. To say that black athletes aren't praised enough is moronic, as we've been bending over backwards for them for the past 35 years. Besides, what has Africa and Haiti done FOR US LATELY?!?!

Jenny Hyun is friggin hott.
      You're acting like this is an actual debate with valid points being made as opposed to two racists hurling heated insults at each other, with other racists immediately taking sides and acting like discussing any of this is in any way worthwhile.

Athletes in general are overpaid, overvalued and overrated as people. The same goes for movie stars, politicians and pop singers.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by gloomy View Post
      You're acting like this is an actual debate with valid points being made as opposed to two racists hurling heated insults at each other, with other racists immediately taking sides and acting like discussing any of this is in any way worthwhile.

Athletes in general are overpaid, overvalued and overrated as people. The same goes for movie stars, politicians and pop singers.
      Ah yes, but are you saying you have never been moved by a pop song, wooed by a glamorous movie star, swayed by a politician and wowed by an athletic achievement? To deny the effects of these ubiquitous people is to live in a cave underground and never be exposed to this toxic culture. Like swimming in acid, at first we despise it, but then we adapt to it and learn to love it sometimes. However, yes, these celebrated individuals are vastly overrated with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Christ, would I like to fuck Charlize Theron.
      If I'm a Nobody, it's only because society has made it too Goddamn Stressful to be a Somebody. - Me

Reality bites. - Winona Ryder

"Ye who suffer, suffer from yourselves. No one else compels." Fuck that.

Account Closed
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by pit View Post
      Ah yes, but are you saying you have never been moved by a pop song, wooed by a glamorous movie star, swayed by a politician and wowed by an athletic achievement? To deny the effects of these ubiquitous people is to live in a cave underground and never be exposed to this toxic culture. Like swimming in acid, at first we despise it, but then we adapt to it and learn to love it sometimes. However, yes, these celebrated individuals are vastly overrated with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Christ, would I like to fuck Charlize Theron.
      I was impressed by pop songs until I started writing my own-- that pretty much killed it for me. I think movie stars are full of s**t and would prefer it if there were more small movies being made in every community as opposed to massive blockbusters. I don't trust politicians for the most part and mostly I vowed to forever hate athletes back when they were the jerks who used to pick on me in high school. On the other hand, yeah they're everywhere so you kind of do end up feeling something when they die. Well, maybe.

is Lovely

I am:
      ----

On a slightly related note - but related enough to post here rather than make a separate thread - I just saw this on PBS earlier tonight: Slavery By Another Name

Wow... slavery in America through the 1940's.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Prinnctopher's Belt View Post

relating persecution of the Jews to the systematic degradation of the African man and woman in America is not comparable.
      I'm saying it was the same thing but was using it as an example of a people dusting themselves down and getting on with it.You talk about everything they retained but they have no country but one that nobody thinks they are entitled to occupy,their persecution continues to this day.Here in England you regularly have Jewish cemetaries and synagogue's being vandalised,seems acceptable here to say nasty things about jews but not blacks,to put that double standard in perspective.At least the continent of Africa exists and with the end of Apartheid it's back in it's rightfull hands so you do have a motherland,i'm wondering what your religion was before the whites pushed christianity on you? It's possible to convert back to your original religion you know?,people do it all the time.I'm not sure about Heritage and Culture to be honest,i really dont know how it actually affects any person in real life,what the english did in the past makes not a jot of difference to my life and nor should it as living in the past is where a lot of people go wrong.