• Sweet tooth
  • Thinking
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Veggedout
  • Worried
  • Wtf
  • Yeehaw
  • View Poll Results: Do you think suicide/depression runs in families?

Voters
    83. You may not vote on this poll
    • Yes

58 69.88%
    • No

7 8.43%
    • Maybe

18 21.69%
    • What a silly question to ask

0 0%
    Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Does depression/suicide run in families?

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Re: Does depression/suicide run in families?

My parents and my one sister have depression. My other sister and I are bipolar. If it's not genetic, wow, what are the odds?

Under Moderation
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Nicothodes View Post
      My parents and my one sister have depression. My other sister and I are bipolar. If it's not genetic, wow, what are the odds?
      learned behavior, what is bi-polar really, like I said the symptoms are things we learn growing up, there are no bigger teachers and influencers on us then our parents

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Funny how a majority of people agree that depression and suicidal tendencies run in families - but when there was a thread telling suicidal people to never have children, everyone became offended and hostile...

Of course the truth should be transparent to anyone, but I guess most would rather live in denial than face the truth.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by bleach View Post
      Funny how a majority of people agree that depression and suicidal tendencies run in families - but when there was a thread telling suicidal people to never have children, everyone became offended and hostile...

Of course the truth should be transparent to anyone, but I guess most would rather live in denial than face the truth.
      (sorry to digress from the thread's topic)

'Cos it was damn near advocating eugenics.

Achondroplasia (a form of dwarfism) runs in families. Should they never have children, too? Should we not let people whose mothers have had alzheimer's have children? Should we deny those with albinism children? Those are each inheritable and may be hurdles in their own rights.

Should we deny everyone with any form of genetic quirk the opportunity to have children? It's not like their children will necessarily deal with everything they do.

That post implied that all depressed/suicidal people are terrible parents and shouldn't have kids. Not only is that untrue, but it's unfair.

This post asks if we think suicidal tendency and/or depression are/can be genetic.

As for it, genes often determine which illnesses we, as people, are vulnerable to. Several studies show (I'd source it but I'm lazy; googl'it!) that one is more susceptible to depression if an immediate family member has had it as well. Depression in a parent doesn't doom the child/children to depression, but it may predispose the child to become depressed. If the child's domestic life is unsteady (which, I admit, happens a lot when the parents are depressed/suicidal themselves), that may also contribute to its onset.

Dave_N
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Thanks for participating in this poll guys. I should also mention that no one in my family or any of my relatives have suffered from depression/suicidal thoughts. As far as I know anyhow. I think my sister is bipolar but she manages ok.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

The... one thingamajig place..... ahhh, um, whatchamacallit?

It's hard to say 'cause my parents are very good at hiding emotions, but knowing that I'm one of their children, I'd say yes.

♫'Cause nobody wants to be the last one there
      'Cause everyone wants to feel like someone cares
      Someone to love with my life in their hands
      There's gotta be somebody for me like that

'Cause nobody wants to go it on their own
      And everyone wants to know they're not alone
      Somebody else that feels the same somewhere
      There's gotta be somebody for me out there ♫

~.:Farewell, my shadow, you who stand at the end of the path I chose not to follow.:~

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

In my family no. There isn't one person besides me who has ever been depressed that I have known about.
      It is true. Nobody really cares.

Dave_N
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_N View Post
      Thanks for participating in this poll guys. I should also mention that no one in my family or any of my relatives have suffered from depression/suicidal thoughts. As far as I know anyhow. I think my sister is bipolar but she manages ok.
      Actually this isn't true. I just remembered that one of my cousins was depressed, due to living with her drunk of a father. She was even into self-harm, from what I've heard. But after moving out, she has recovered and has stopped self-harming. I think my sister might have also been depressed for a couple of years, but has since gotten better.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by The_Discarded View Post
      (sorry to digress from the thread's topic)

'Cos it was damn near advocating eugenics.

Achondroplasia (a form of dwarfism) runs in families. Should they never have children, too? Should we not let people whose mothers have had alzheimer's have children? Should we deny those with albinism children? Those are each inheritable and may be hurdles in their own rights.

Should we deny everyone with any form of genetic quirk the opportunity to have children? It's not like their children will necessarily deal with everything they do.
      Well this is a whole 'nother argument, because unlike depression, those disorders you mentioned are entirely genetic. In general however, I think eugenics is a great idea. Especially because with modern technology, people with 'quirks ' do not have to be blocked from reproducing - gene engineering and artificial insemination can remove those quirks directly from the gametes. Or it would be possible if it weren't illegal...

That post implied that all depressed/suicidal people are terrible parents and shouldn't have kids. Not only is that untrue, but it's unfair.

This post asks if we think suicidal tendency and/or depression are/can be genetic.
      Well it varies. With bipolar disorder or schizophrenia, there are probably genetic factors that could be 'tweaked' to make them go away completely. Other types of depression are probably a combination of genetic and environment. Or maybe they aren't. There really are no clear answers.

One thing that is clear, however, is that parents who are highly depressed tend to have children that are of the same mold. From my own pragmatic standpoint, that is all the info I need. I wouldn't make rules for anyone else's life, but if a child of mine would go through the same things I do, then I'm never having a child. The reality is easy to see.
      Last edited by bleach; 23rd September 2008 at 08:34 PM.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

@bleach:

Someone's been reading a lot of dystopian literature!

Although alzheimer's isn't, I'll grant you the part about the examples I mentioned being entirely genetic.

Fair enough that you won't have kids, though. And that's your prerogative. Just like if others do, it's theirs.