Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 26 years old and have never had a job...feel hopeless

26 years old and have never had a job...feel hopeless

I don't know if this is the appropriate place to put this, so please forgive me if it isn't.

I'm in a bit of a bind. I am 26 years old and have never been employed...ever. I have never even done an interview. I have applied for jobs in the past, but I never got a call back. I just got discouraged and gave up looking. When I was younger, I didn't think it was that big of a deal since my mom supported me. But now that I'm getting older, I realize how big of a mistake I made by not trying harder to find a job. Now I am too embarrassed to apply for a job because of my lack of work experience. I have no idea how I would explain to a potential employer why I have never had a job at my age. I'm sure "because I was too shy and scared to go out in the real world" wouldn't go over very well. Nobody is going to want to hire a 26 year old who has never had a job before, not even for a menial job. Does anybody have any advice for me? I feel like a loser and a failure at life, and I know my mom resents me for having to take care of me all these years. Besides, my mom isn't going to be around forever, and I need a way to take care of myself. God knows I don't want to be homeless, but that is what is going to happen if I don't find a job. What am I going to do?? I have thought about making up a fake employment history to put on applications, but I'm afraid that I will get caught. Please help me.

Re: 26 years old and have never had a job...feel hopeless

I have fears of people and the real world too, so I can understand where you are coming from
    May I ask where you live? here in the UK you can go on job seekers and they can help you find any type of job or a course or apprenticeship that will lead to a job.
    The other option is (possibly through the job centre if you are in the UK) signing up with an agency. They will find you work for you - it will be minimum wage but its still a start and better than nothing as it will get you started and give you some confidence. Many people use this route over here just to get work more easily especially foreign people as it can be harder for them to find work. You get interviewed with the agency only not with each work post as I understand it.

Get volunteering! Volunteering does a lot, it gives you experience and something to put on your CV, and it also builds confidence and self esteem, self worth and self belief. That really is your best place to start alongside applying for jobs of course.

What country are you in?

My name is my name for a reason. Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security that it's not true because yes, I am a bitch.

hey there ,

have u ever thought of doing some volunteer work ? this could get u some experince for free without having to do courses etc , and then a potental job might come from that it also looks awesome on CVs etc .
    we also have the job agentcys over here in NZ and all u have to do is go in and have a talk with them about what ud like to be doing .
    still for me if i was in this situation i would go with volunteering becausse it gives u some skills etc for applying elsewhere when ur ready to start working.
    hope this helps
    This is a song and Iím trying to sing it,Iím hoping that this song will help me loosen the grips of these patterns.

i could really use a wish right now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b5b-vNhVdE

I live in the United States, Texas to be exact. I have thought about going to the state employment agency for help getting a job. Also, a religious organization near me offers job placement services. I will probably go to them first since they are probably used to dealing with socially maladjusted people like me, lol. Maybe I won't feel as awkward. I will still be really embarrassed when I have to tell them that I have never had a job; I hope they won't think I'm too much of a weirdo.

I am also extremely shy, quiet, and introverted, and most jobs out there require "smiling faces" and extroverted personalities. I am anxious and incompetent in social situations. In fact, I am so shy that I used to think that I might be autistic (actually sometimes I still do). I know I have undiagnosed social anxiety disorder, and probably avoidant personality disorder, too. I need a job where I will not have to interact with many people. A job as a housekeeper, mail clerk, or security camera monitor would be perfect for me.

I guess I should also mention that I don't drive, so I have to depend on others for my transportation. That's always been an obstacle for me, too.
    Last edited by corrina; 18th August 2010 at 01:32 PM.

I have thought about volunteering, too, like at an animal shelter. I'm a little scared to bring that desire up to my mom and cousin (who lives with us), though, because they will think it's a waste of time since I wouldn't get paid, and since I'm dependent on them for rides, I probably wouldn't have any way to get there. :sad:

Could you cycle? Or use public transport? You could look for a part time job and volunteer as well.

There will always be reasons not to do something, but there are also many reasons to do it too. Maybe fight your fear and just explain to them why you want to do it and why you think it will be beneficial.

I used to volunteer with animals and its an amazing thing to do.

My name is my name for a reason. Don't lull yourself into a false sense of security that it's not true because yes, I am a bitch.

Yup. Volunteer.

I can't read minds, but as a supervisor, if I saw a resume come accross my desk of a 26-yr old with no previous work experience, I'd wonder about that person's initiative to get out and do things. (I'd wonder other things too, but its illegal to ask those questions).

Volunteering will show that you have initiative, and you can use the organization you volunteer for as a reference. Plus it will give you experiences that can help you land jobs that may have previously been out of your reach. Because I volunteered at an animal shelters, I was able to land a job at a groomer/boarding facility, and another volunteer position with kids helped me land a summer camp gig. True, you won't be getting paid, but you will benefit from it in more than one way. (And you never know, I know people who have gone from volunteer to paid positions)

Quote Originally Posted by jenniferelaine View Post
    Yup. Volunteer.

I can't read minds, but as a supervisor, if I saw a resume come accross my desk of a 26-yr old with no previous work experience, I'd wonder about that person's initiative to get out and do things. (I'd wonder other things too, but its illegal to ask those questions).
    Wow, I can't even begin to tell you how small that makes me feel. The main reasons I have never had a job are lack of transportation and crippling shyness and anxiety, not laziness or apathy. I have always wanted to get out and do things, I just haven't always had the opportunity. Besides, I am currently attending community college, so it's not as if I'm doing NOTHING with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Scum View Post
    Could you cycle? Or use public transport? You could look for a part time job and volunteer as well.

There will always be reasons not to do something, but there are also many reasons to do it too. Maybe fight your fear and just explain to them why you want to do it and why you think it will be beneficial.

I used to volunteer with animals and its an amazing thing to do.
    I don't have a bicycle, and I'm too nervous to take public transit. (My city's public transit system sucks anyway.) When I get my financial aid check in September, I plan to use some of it to pay for driving lessons, so I can learn to drive (and thus have some degree of independence) once and for all.