• Thinking
  • Tired
  • Twisted
  • Veggedout
  • Worried
  • Wtf
  • Yeehaw
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is it like to stay in the psych ward?

Limited Moderation
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

What is it like to stay in the psych ward?

I need advice please. I have never been in the psych ward before but I feel the way im feeling at the moment and for the last few weeks, that i may need 24hour care. I have tried committing suicide twice in the last week and a half and both times in the middle of the night so that there is less chance of anyone realising. The only experience i have of the wards is in devon which i can imagine are far better than the ones in London. Can anyone give me advice on how i would approach this with my doctor and also what your experiences have been. Are they nice to you in there or are you "just another mental patient"
      Thank you
      Guy Summers.
      You are missed more than you know.
      I will always love you.
      I hope your sleeping well my angel.
      :missyou:

"But now I don't care, I could go anywhere with you and I'd probably be happy" - Bright Eyes

"Suicide is a person's privilege. I don't believe it's a sin or a crime. It's your right if you want to, though it doesn't get you anywhere." - Marilyn Monroe

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Re: What is it like to stay in the psych ward?

I've never been an inpatient, but I have done partial hospitalization - which is where you spend all day at the psych hospital, but at night you go home to sleep. Do you think maybe you could consider a partial program? The reason I suggest it is that I absolutely loved it, and from what I've heard from other patients in the program who have been in both inpatient and partial, it's a *much* more pleasant experience to be in partial. I still met with doctors and had bloods/vitals done (I had some overdose and substance abuse issues that needed to be checked out), but I had a lot more freedom and was treated with more respect than what I'd heard about inpatient. In addition to physical health treatment, there were also daily meetings with a psychiatrist, daily meetings with a counselor, and groups throughout the day. The whole thing was pleasant (well.. as pleasant as a psych treatment can be lol), and it helped me sooo much.

Sorry, I don't have more information about inpatient. But its definitely good that you're mindful of how your condition is worsening, that's a great step. Good luck!
      :Leiaha:

part of me is fighting this, but part of me is gone

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

What I suggest is going to A+E . They'd have a liasion team who - if you tell them what you've said here, should admit you.

Your local doctor might not hear you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try if you feel comfortable with him/her- just that he'd refer you on to the A+E anyway, if he was doing his job well and hearing your presentation. You sound like you're at severe crisis stage and having been with Crisis Teams a lot I know a bit about their criteria and I think you'd be seen as very high risk.

I won't go into my experiences, they aren't good, not that I ever stayed on a psych ward long enough. When at the place you are and knowing you need safety- inpatient like you say might be the place. Different hospitals have different staff/morale and motivation to change, and I hope if you do get admitted you meet staff who listen and treat you with respect.

If you go in voluntarily you can be discharged any time (after seeing a doctor for an assessment) and you're not forced to take medication you don't want.

I doubt you'd be put under a section as you actually want help, and know yourself loads going by your post.
      Last edited by plates; 30th September 2010 at 11:07 PM.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I've never been in one, but my sister has extensively. She hates them.
      Quote Originally Posted by Bokonon
      Now I will destroy the whole world.
      http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/...&sec=33&p0=256

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I was sent to a psych ward by a psychiatrist in 2004. she sent me there because i had brought the sample medications back to her office because i was so agitated and restless after taking them. i always thought or was told that you have to be a danger to yourself or others to be admitted to a ward. i guess not in my case, b/c i wasn't homicidal or suicidal- it was the fucking medication's side effects.

it took me two days to admit myself voluntary. basically, you're locked up with other unstable people and others who are partially stable. you'll get to see a pdoc, who will talk with you and probably prescribe medications to help get you stable. sometimes you'll have people around throwing fits and freaking out. the food is okay here, they wake your ass up to take vitals. conversing with some of the folks you're in there with can be a good experience/. they'll move you to an adult ward if you're stuck in icu not as restrictive. you get to go outside and smoke and talk with other folks. pdoc decides when to release you if you've unvoluntarily been admitted to the ward. generally, when i was there, even voluntarily they still wouldn't let me leave. insurance is another big thing with wards. i stayed no more than two weeks.

its not so fun but if it gets you stable, then its a good thing. haven't been to a ward in 5 years. thank god.
      another year i claim of total indifference.- Bright Eyes, Feb 15th.

'You know what? You let everybody say what they're gonna say, and we'll go get a hamburger.' -Judy Garland

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

This was actually a question I had been wondering about a month ago when I was feeling particularly dangerous to myself.
      The only experience I've had to go off of with psych wards is when visiting my sister after her attempt four years ago. They didn't really let us see anything of what went on, and just threw us in a visiting room until we left, so I wasn't sure what it was really like. The one thing I remember my sister complaining about however, was that when she was admitted in, they asked her to fill out a diet form for what food she'd like to be served. She was vegetarian when she went in, then decided to change sometime during the stay, but they wouldn't serve meat since she never selected it. xD

My post is most definitely not helpful.. o.o but it's good to know that others have had good experiences with them.
      Lost: Motivation to keep going.. if found, please contact me. Reward: Eternal gratitude and endless hugs.

“It isn’t what you have, or who you are, or where you are, or what you are doing that makes you happy or unhappy. It is what you think about.” -Dale Carnegie

Limited Moderation
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by alison View Post
      I've never been an inpatient, but I have done partial hospitalization - which is where you spend all day at the psych hospital, but at night you go home to sleep. Do you think maybe you could consider a partial program? The reason I suggest it is that I absolutely loved it, and from what I've heard from other patients in the program who have been in both inpatient and partial, it's a *much* more pleasant experience to be in partial. I still met with doctors and had bloods/vitals done (I had some overdose and substance abuse issues that needed to be checked out), but I had a lot more freedom and was treated with more respect than what I'd heard about inpatient. In addition to physical health treatment, there were also daily meetings with a psychiatrist, daily meetings with a counselor, and groups throughout the day. The whole thing was pleasant (well.. as pleasant as a psych treatment can be lol), and it helped me sooo much.

Sorry, I don't have more information about inpatient. But its definitely good that you're mindful of how your condition is worsening, that's a great step. Good luck!
      This sounds much more like something that might suit me. I have just been put forward to the mental health liaison team so i might talk to them about this. Thank you
      Guy Summers.
      I will always love you.

"But now I don't care, I could go anywhere with you and I'd probably be happy" - Bright Eyes

"Suicide is a person's privilege. I don't believe it's a sin or a crime. It's your right if you want to, though it doesn't get you anywhere." - Marilyn Monroe

Limited Moderation
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

Quote Originally Posted by plates View Post
      What I suggest is going to A+E . They'd have a liasion team who - if you tell them what you've said here, should admit you.

Your local doctor might not hear you. That doesn't mean you shouldn't try if you feel comfortable with him/her- just that he'd refer you on to the A+E anyway, if he was doing his job well and hearing your presentation. You sound like you're at severe crisis stage and having been with Crisis Teams a lot I know a bit about their criteria and I think you'd be seen as very high risk.

I won't go into my experiences, they aren't good, not that I ever stayed on a psych ward long enough. When at the place you are and knowing you need safety- inpatient like you say might be the place. Different hospitals have different staff/morale and motivation to change, and I hope if you do get admitted you meet staff who listen and treat you with respect.

If you go in voluntarily you can be discharged any time (after seeing a doctor for an assessment) and you're not forced to take medication you don't want.

I doubt you'd be put under a section as you actually want help, and know yourself loads going by your post.
      Thank you hun. yeah i have just been referred to the liaison team. i think im going to talk to them.

Thank you everyone for your very helpful answers to my question. il update you when iv spoken to my liaison team
      Guy Summers.
      I will always love you.

This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I'm glad and it's very brave of you to do what you've done.

Banned
      This user has no status.

I am:
      ----

I'm going to be honest and say my experiences in them were awful. I've only been twice for relatively short stays(thankfully). I did not like it there. The one i was at you are assigned a nurse(until their shift is over then a new one gets assigned etc so 'your' nurse may change a few times a day or may stay the same for a day or two depending on the hours the person happens to be working). Well they so kindly assigned me to what seemed to be the mother of all cows and don't even get me started on the night nurses oh jesus those woman were bloody awful. I do clash with a lot of people, i admit that i am somewhat picky(ok very picky) and can give people a very hard time if i don't like them but these people were rude on their own. Especially the night nurses, there were even elderly ladies in there who did absolutely nothing but basically sat and read and they were fucking rude to them. It was actually kind of funny the day i left... in the morning me and this 70-some-old lady bitched about the night nurses for like a half hour straight if not longer.

Another thing, the food(or atleast the one i was at) was also bloody awful and they FORCED you to eat it(one of the main reason why i clashed with the nurses tbh). Like dude, i am not eating a piece of shriveled up lettuce or ham with bloody pinapple on top like wtf. Apparently you could request what you wanted or what you didn't want etc but tbh i had no bloody appetite so i didn't care what they gave me i wasn't eating it and thats that.

Aside from that i mean you can talk with others who are going through similar things. You meet all sorts of people in there. For someone going in for their first time i would say *try* not to be judgmental about the people there in terms of who you connect with. There were some pretty chill old folks there i must admit.

Another thing, i don't know how old you are but be prepared to be with people of all ages and with all kinds of illnesses and disorders. Yes they usually have an adult ward and youth/child ward. Keep in mind though depending on where you are, more often than not they stick kids as young as 16 in the adult ward and then they also have very elderly people there. So it's a huge mix. In terms of illnesses, of course they don't usually put say someone with a eating disorder with a mental disorder BUT i did see one or two people who were waiting to go i don't know rehab? i guess for drinking/drugs Those people were a bit .... yaa...

Also be prepared to wear some fugly hospital pajamas until you 'earn' your clothes back... aka proven that you won't try and run away. haha

When i look back at the whole experience i actually have to laugh at some of the stuff the staff are so paranoid about and some of rules.

None the less, it is really a place to get stable. I wouldn't really recommend it for someone wanting to get 'better' i would say therapy and/or meds would be your best bet for that. But if your in a sort of a depressive state and you feel unsafe then ya, go to get stable and thats it.

OH and last thing make sure you get assigned a doctor you like, if you dont like them fight for a different one until you DO like them.

Hope that helped.