1 800 Suicide?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked up the site to see and read what they were about and to be honest it gave me nothing. All they wanted me to do was advertise their banner somewhere and sign their petition. How helpful is that to a suicidal person?! Sorry I couldn't be more help

F

FoundAndLost1

It's a national U.S. number - 24/7 - for those contemplating suicide, or for someone who knows such a person (partially supported and advertized by the *postsecret.com* website)

F

FoundAndLost1

Hm.. Is it focused more on intervention or listening?
http://www.hopeline.com/5/aboutus.asp
(About us)

http://www.hopeline.com
(there's a CONTACT US Link on the list - it's the Kristen Brooks Hope Centre - started by Reese Butler after his wife's suicide)

"People in crisis generally don't have the energy or ability to take on a long search for help. When those looking for support dial 1.800.SUICIDE they are seamlessly connected to an available certified crisis center nearest to their calling location. While it’s seemingly a simple concept, the Network is elegant and effective when put into action. Behind the scenes there are significant computer and telephony infrastructures working in concert to provide help within 20 to 30 seconds of a call being placed."

U

UpForAbbey

Just listening to calls, I think it's more of a hotline and not an organization. I don't know, though.

Abby Rose

I called 1800 Suicide twice a while back. The first time I called the person on the other line just listened and just let me vent. The second time I called the person listened, asked questions, and even gave advice that all in all was pretty practical. Like all those groups it really depends on who you talk too.

I have used it on many occasions. They do listen and offer support. They offer to call for help if you would like them to. There was one time the person spent close to 5 hours with me and wanted to make sure I would be safe before he hung up. They are similar to samaritans, but philosophies are not exactly the same. I did find them helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00