10 Simple Ways to Increase Your Happiness

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by EricRandolf, May 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricRandolf

EricRandolf New Member

1. Always have something to look forward to- a vacation, date, party, celebration. If you don’t have one on the calendar, then create one.
    2. Focus on what you do have, and not what you don’t have.
    3. Surround yourself with things you love: people, places, or things. Have minimal exposure to things which seem irritating.
    4. Focus on long-term satisfaction. Use the discipline in your mind to delay gratification.
    5. Reward yourself a little bit each day by reveling in your daily accomplishments.
    6. Be easy on yourself and others- we all come forth with good intentions.
    7. Appreciate the experience of the physical form while you also keep in mind your spiritual side.
    8. Don’t get caught up in the details of life.
    9. Show your kindness and compassion everyday- share your gifts.
    10. Love yourself as the wonderful creation that you are
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Wow that is great ...thanks for sharing! I love wisdom like this and it certainly is sound advice for all of us. Thanks!
  3. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

Even though I have a feeling you're trying to sell me something, this is good advice.
  4. yous

yous Well-Known Member

Easier said than done.

1. Not only do these cost money and time, but what party? What friends? What celebration?! If you are so wallowed in a life's struggle there is no way to achieve this. None. So number 1 is gone.

2. Yeah what do I have? I pathetic life going no where. Where all I do everyday is sit on my butt wishing for a miracle to happen. Someone or thing to save me or kill me. Whichever comes first. No.2 not gonna happen.

3. What people?? Places and people both not only cost money, but time and usually it's their time I have to listen to. Whoever gives ME time of day? Places no longer have purpose in a depressed person. It's best being alone, but then I'm miserable alone. #3 nope.

4. The reason for me being so depressed is because the grim past of mine looks better than the future to come. You can't know yourself unless you look at the past, but then I cry about my past so I can't move/look forward.
    I found focusing on the long term future drives me more suicidal then doing baby steps.

5. What daily accomplishments?

6. I'm never was hard on myself because even more I try or achieve a goal, it fails on me. I go looking for help, someone fails me. Without any effort at all. Even when I least expect it. So trying hard is not even an option. I feel pathetic. People look at me as pathetic. They don't even allow me to prove myself to prove myself. If you don't get compliments about yourself from others, rewards, then how are you suppose to do it for yourself. You start believing the opposite about you must be true. That's not being hard on oneself. That's being truthful that I am actually pathetic.

7. Not religious, body and soul type person. Sorry.

8. Without the details then there is no plan or goal. And then there is chaos. Always gotta have a plan. That actually keeps the mind going.

9. Ha! This is the worst one of all. I do this far too often. And you know what happens? I get betrayed, belittled, taken for granted, used, should I go on???? This a mean, cruel world, not a pleasant place.

10. What's there to love? Read #1-9

It is said in Asian Philosophy, 9 out of 10 you'll find life sad than happy. So somehow I understand maybe I am doomed to be this miserable person for the rest of my life. Why bother trying to be happy?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010
  5. dustin

dustin Banned Member

not much help from me, just wanted to say that this is pretty much exactly what i thought when i read the op
  6. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have a problem with number 6- not everyone is well intentioned, some people are downright heartless.

Number 8 is impossible for anyone like myself with OCD who can lose an entire night's sleep completely preoccupied with "details".

My addition to the list is to monitor your thoughts. Probably most SF members worry inordinately or constantly ruminate on unpleasant concepts or are continually reliving traumatic experiences. I do unless I continuously, minute by minute, battle to replace this thinking with life affirming and hopeful thoughts.
  7. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Good list. Here is another:

1. Masturbate
    2. Have cigarette or other assorted tobacco based product
    3. Beer
    4. Steak
    5. Bacon
    6. Sleep
    7. Repeat in any order that you wish

Great Success!!!
  8. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

9. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

You are right; but then again- it's harder for some people to do those things.
    By not trying though-- we're all just going in circles and getting less and less motivated to actually 'fix' ourselves.
  10. yous

yous Well-Known Member

1. Uh ok, whatever works for you, but some people are so depressed they find themselves ugly to even do this.

2. I don't smoke, never have, never will. Smoking is so outdated too.

3. I don't drink either. Never have, never will. Can't stand the taste.

4. I don't get this one in how it can increase happiness. But whatever.

5. They say Bacon is even less healthy than steak, but something about a pig parts shriveled like that, just gets to me

6. I think we all can do this, but there comes to a point where sometimes you lie awake thinking of ways to kill yourself. It's called Insomnia. I used to sleep 8 hours, now I just do 4.

7. Uh I rather not.

I wasn't amused by your list, sorry.
  11. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

haha I don't agree with the latter part of point 6 either. I was reading about sociopaths yesterday... Some people say that one out of fifty people is one. Judging by what I see in my immediate surroundings I'd say that might very well be true.

On a brighter note, I wholeheartedly agree with points 1, 2 and 3. Those are really good. Going easy on yourself is another good piece of advice indeed.
  12. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I'll say that one thing that makes me a MUCH happier person is having discovered my passions; music and film. Having discovered them I'm SO much more fulfilled. I mean I ALWAYS have something to do. I have so many ideas that come up... I always have something on the horizon. There's always that new, fresh project that comes along, it seems and it's very gratifying when I succeed in realizing my ideas. And it's very beautiful to experience.
  13. yous

yous Well-Known Member

I like this answer. I have come to discover this too among other interests and projects. It is difficult to keep up on days when I feel like all hope is lost, but it is definitely there to keep me from going off the deep end.
  14. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Well its a good thing it wasnt a reply to your thread then eh?
  15. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

This is SO true. I gave up bicycling a few years ago even though I am passionate about it because of my OCD and the generally aggressive drivers and some of their outrageous behaviors against bicyclists in my area. I have been riding again since this last winter and I can say I have at least one thing that makes me have some hope when I wake up in the morning.
  16. Philbert

Philbert New Member

Hi all......,

Its a very nice post.
    Thanks for shearing such a nice tips.
  17. Serenacorbat

Serenacorbat New Member

Very nice ways and important for a great life.

Family Guy Online | NCIS Online
  18. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

I guess to some people, this may be considered useful or even good in some way. In the real world, i.e. mine, its quite the opposite.

1. I have neither vacation, date, party or celebration. I have no one to do any of these with. There is nothing in life for me to celebrate. Unless I arrange a party of one, that will never happen.

2. Its hard to focus on nothing.

3. I can't surround myself with anything. I can't surround myself with people because I am alone. This statement just makes me feel worse and I find borderline offensive. I find 'life' irritating because of it.

4. The only thing I can focus on long term is death.

5. The only accomplishment I have is the fact I wake up being alive each day. How am I supposed to do anything else?

6. For me, there are no 'others'. Good intentions are a waste of effort.

7. Good one this!! My physical form is being slowly crippled with arthritis and its hard to appreciate it. As for spiritual side? My spirit wants to die.

8. The fact that life does nothing but throw shit my way???

9. Been there, done that...nobody gives the slightest shit about me in any form which has eroded every piece of kindness I have. The only gift I have is the willpower and cowardice not to end it all NOW!!

10. Please don't make me LAUGH!!! This is really a pathetic line!! I am NOONE!! I will be NOONE...all I will ever be is NOONE. I have 49 years of proof!!

Thats made me feel so much better now.....not.

Anyone else have any more practical suggestions?
  19. markanderson10

markanderson10 New Member

Thanks for that we all need to focus on good things not always easy but it does work .
    I am trying to look for a positive for every day
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.