Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hannahb221

hannahb221 Member

I feel so suicidal right now. My therapist said if I am ever in crisis I need to call him right away but I don't want to because I am afraid that I'm bothering him and I don't want him to hate me for calling. Also if I call my parents might be notified because I'm a minor. I don't know what to do.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi hannah, I'm not going to lie...they will probably be called because of you being a minor but perhaps it is time you spoke up and told them how you truly feel. You would not be bothering him, it's his job to help you and he said you can call him, they don't say that lightly so you have a good therapist.

3. hannahb221

hannahb221 Member

If my parents found out (I've been in a psychiatric hospital before and they were not happy) they would immediately pull me out of school and put me into hospital immediately and the last place I want to go is the hospital. I'm still unsure about calling my therapist :/

4. Petal

I understand that but sometimes you just have to put YOU first. You are the number 1 priority. They may be mad but imagine how they would feel if you were suddenly gone...

maybe just ring the therapist for a chat and see where it leads, just to have someone there for you :hug:

5. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

I'm with Petal. Call your therapist and see what he/she says. I can promise you that they won't hate you for calling.

6. hannahb221

hannahb221 Member

Thanks for your help! What should I say to my therapist when I call him? Sorry for all the questions xx

7. Petal

You're fine hun. Just say you are stressed out and need advice on how to cope, how to deal with the intrusive thoughts you are having. I'm sure once you explain you're not yourself and stressed out that he will take it from there. Good luck hannah :hug:

8. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

Just say you're having a tough time now. Tell the TRUTH! As an old person I really want you to get the most out of the next 30-40 years of your life. If you want to revisit suicide then.......

But go ahead and call and just talk. And then listen.

9. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I would not be so certain the therapist will call parents - in most states at 14 you have complete right to privacy concerning health and mental health even from parents. Simply ask your therapist- they will not lie to you about it. Also parents cannot just "send " a child to the hospital. If you do not meet the criteria for admission then you do not - period. They cannot admit you to a mental hospital anymore than they can admit you to a regular hospital for physical things - a dr (whether regular MD for regular hospital or Psychiatrist for mental hospital) has to decide if you meet the criteria so unless they just blatantly lie unless you meet the admission criteria you will not be admitted. If you meet the admission criteria (imminent harm to self or others) then any Dr , law enforcement person, guidance counselor, teacher, social worker etc etc - a long list of mandated reporters - legally must refer you for an evaluation at which point they usually give you the choice of "voluntary admission" - but if you do not go in voluntary then we will legally declare and admit you anyway.

Aside from all the details of what your rights are (and if you are unclear of your rights feel free to PM me with what state you are in and I will link you to your actual legal rights which are far different than tv movies, even most places like this forum) tend to lead you to believe and knowledge of your actual rights is a good thing to have) why would you not want the people that you have to deal with on a daily basis know how you are doing ? Talking to your therapist and perhaps more importantly your parents can relieve a LOT of stress and worry once you establish a dialogue. It takes a lot of emotional energy to hide how you are feeling from the people around you- energy better spent trying to feel better. I would really recommend finding somebody to talk to , whether parent or therapist.

Take Care and Be Safe

- Ben

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.