15 year old with pellet gun mortally shot by SWAT ***TRIG***

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hard climb

This is so sad. Please don't bring weapons to school, even fake ones. This youth had been picked on apparently, and was in need of help and understanding. I believe he was depressed. With our zero tolerance policies at school and the fairly recent news events, people aren't taking any chances. It's so vitally important that if you are ill that you seek mental health. Please talk to your guidance counselor and seek mental help.

http://www.gainesville.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060116/LOCAL/201160323/1078/news

M

memorialday1999

Re: 15 year old with pellet gun mortally shot by SWAT

Good post and very true. Officers cannot always tell real from fake and have to stop the threat. If you point a weapon at an officer or innocent bystander they will shoot to kill, they have no choice. Persons telling them they "think" it is fake is not good enough, if they fail to respond and the weapon is actually real then they and others could die. Never play games with law enforcement, this is the real world and this is what reality is.

Prayers to all involved as the officer will also suffer a psychological impact. Contrary to many citizens beliefs, officers do not want to shoot, not even at a truly bad person. Many that end up in shooting, especially one like this, often leave law enforcement with in 5 years and suffer depression and suicidal thoughts themselves.

There are no winners here, only loss.

shatteredsoul

That is seriously an outrage in my opinion!! They should have checked if the weapon was real or not from the beginning..and to just shoot him? HELLO..maybe people wont agree with me..but cops are just disgusting. i feel so sorry for the family and friends of this boy..and just to sum it up by saying..oh it was a misunderstanding..no that doesnt work for me at all.

AloneInTheDark

I don't understand why the didn't just stun him? Or use flash bangs.. They have done that soo many times with adults with guns and knives.. So why just shot the teenager? Wankers..

poison

Bullshit... they just HAD to kill him, didn't they? That's an outrage...

You guys, you have to understand that if he was barricaded something, or if he had hostages..or under other circumstances too, then they had no choice...they could of either risked their lives with a good chance of them losing them w/o knowing whether it was real or not. I'm not really trying to justify their actions, just saying that all cops are disgusting is a very bad thing to say and a horrible stereotype to create.

it really depends on the situation, if he was acting as a threat to himself, or anyone else then the police are intitled to use force, and sometimes that force can be lethal, im not saying what they did is right, but it really depends on the situation, none of us know all of the facts so we can't say its wrong or right....etc.

Bullshit... they just HAD to kill him, didn't they? That's an outrage...
That is seriously an outrage in my opinion!! They should have checked if the weapon was real or not from the beginning..and to just shoot him? HELLO..maybe people wont agree with me..but cops are just disgusting. i feel so sorry for the family and friends of this boy..and just to sum it up by saying..oh it was a misunderstanding..no that doesnt work for me at all.
You guys make me sick. Do you know how hard of a job it is to be a police officer?!?! Do you know how difficult it is to tell the difference between a pellet pistol and a real pistol? I'd love to see you guys become gun experts all of a sudden and start calling out the fakes and the reals.

A police officer is trained primarily to protect the public, then himself, in that order. I sympathize with the kid for being bullied, but it was his own dumb fault for pointing the pellet gun at a cop. In standard procedure, you are not allowed to fire unless a weapon is pointed at you, and you have clear line of fire.

Would you rather be hearing a story right now about a father of a family, with a wife and children being shot to death by a bullied child? If the gun had been real, that would be the case. The cops couldn't have known the gun was fake. Just because the kid was bullied doesn't give him the right to take a gun to school and hold kids hostage.

I don't understand why the didn't just stun him? Or use flash bangs.. They have done that soo many times with adults with guns and knives.. So why just shot the teenager? Wankers..
And you made a valid point. Why didn't they flash-bang him? Well, did you read the story? It said he was shot after raising the gun at a deputy. Do you know what that means?
Odds are, The deputy was attempting to negotiate with him, and when the kid raised the gun, another officer fired, to protect his fellow officer. Generally the flash-bangs and storming the person comes after all negotiation has failed. They shot the kid for his own idiocy.

And this is not trying to start a flame war. I'm truly pissed at your attitudes towards law enforcement.

'Seminole County Sheriff Don Eslinger said the boy was suicidal, vowed to die during the incident and couldn't be talked into surrendering the weapon. Eslinger says Penley was shot after raising the gun at a deputy.'

The boy was suicidle, he obviously knew if he pointed the gun at a cop then they would shoot him, its called suicide by cop. The boy knew what he was doing when he took the pellet gun to school. He vowed to die during incident, he knew what he was doing. And all of you people calling the cop this and that, how about you have a gun pointed at you and tell if its real or not, i gaurentee you wouldn't be able to.

'Authorities said he took to school a pellet gun that closely resembled a 9mm handgun'

The pellet gun CLOSELY resembled a 9mm handgun. If you had a gun on you and then had a gun pointed at you i gaurentee youd consider shooting first for your own protection. The cop was defending the rest of his co-workers and the safety of the public. In calls like that they have to assume its real, and the pellet gun looked very much like a real gun, and if the police department feel their officers or the public are in danger then they are intitled to use force, and it just happened that the force turned out to be lethal. And as for the stun/flash bang when you have a gun pointed at you aint got any time to use a flash bang, what they gonna do while hes pointing the gun go 'oh hold on a min, im just gonna go get a flash bang to distract you so i can get the gun, i'll be back in a min' NO, they have to react the best way in that situation. And for cops being disgusting, well i would think about that, they serve every country in this world, without them society today would be in ruins, without them protecting and serving your country their would be murder's, rapist's, paedophiles, burglars on your streets, without cops they would not be in jail right now. Im sure your think differently when you need the "disgusting" cops when your in need, when your in serious need of help, im sure as hell you'd change your mind then, their nice when it suits init, its people like that who really dont deserve help from the police, why help people like that when they can help someone who actually respect the work they do for your country. Some people hate the police but who are the first people they call when they need help, yeah exactly the police.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

the_dream

wow thanks everyone for proving the points i constantly ask myself about this site and world

this shit makes me sick

T

the_dream

someone should put the trig thing on this post, i have never feelt worse after reading a trig one because i have apreaty tough emotional skin but after reading everyones posts i really felt like puting a gun in my mouth and blasting my god dam brains out

T

the_dream

what the fuck is this site even about anymore?!?!

sorry you feel that way the_dream, and im sorry if anything in particular in my posts upset you, i was stating my opinion over this issue, and im sorry that you got upset by reading everyones posts

Z

Ze'ev-Hayalim

If some misunderstood child pointed a gun at my family or friends, fake or not, I'd have done EXACTLY what the police would have done.

My sympathies to the family of the child (and the police officer who did his job.)

seeking-solitude

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Hey Guys,

I understand all your points but Hard Climb originally wnated this post to be a warning about doing something like this and the consequences that could happen. Not a debate about who was right or wrong and it certainly wasnt meant to upset anyone (although i have now put the trig tag in the title). So if we could try and bring this post back on track.

Take care,

Paul.

poison

One who listens.. said:
You guys make me sick. Do you know how hard of a job it is to be a police officer?!?! Do you know how difficult it is to tell the difference between a pellet pistol and a real pistol? I'd love to see you guys become gun experts all of a sudden and start calling out the fakes and the reals.

A police officer is trained primarily to protect the public, then himself, in that order. I sympathize with the kid for being bullied, but it was his own dumb fault for pointing the pellet gun at a cop. In standard procedure, you are not allowed to fire unless a weapon is pointed at you, and you have clear line of fire.

Would you rather be hearing a story right now about a father of a family, with a wife and children being shot to death by a bullied child? If the gun had been real, that would be the case. The cops couldn't have known the gun was fake. Just because the kid was bullied doesn't give him the right to take a gun to school and hold kids hostage.

And you made a valid point. Why didn't they flash-bang him? Well, did you read the story? It said he was shot after raising the gun at a deputy. Do you know what that means?
Odds are, The deputy was attempting to negotiate with him, and when the kid raised the gun, another officer fired, to protect his fellow officer. Generally the flash-bangs and storming the person comes after all negotiation has failed. They shot the kid for his own idiocy.

And this is not trying to start a flame war. I'm truly pissed at your attitudes towards law enforcement.

Not to anger you, but don't tell me what I know and don't know. I know how most police officers are severly depressed because their life is practically death. They deal with sadness from all ends, coming from families and criminals. And it was practically inhuman for you to say they shot him for "his own idiocy." I doubt it was idiocy; maybe some sort of instinct?

And besides, no matter WHO would've died, a life doesn't equal a life. Either way, it's a tradgedy. I agree with you when you say the kid shouldn't of taken a gun, but you act like this isn't sad for the family and friends of the kid. You say it's his "own" dumb fault. Is it really? What drove him to bring that gun to school? All though he didn't have the right, it wasn't all his fault. And actually, my friend loves gun and studies them to no end. He could tell a pellet gun from a real gun in seconds, but you can't expect the whole world to have the same obsession with weaponry that he does.

Basically, I'll sum it up with this: You will get me very angry if you try to tell ME what YOU think I know.

poison

seeking-solitude said:
Hey Guys,

I understand all your points but Hard Climb originally wnated this post to be a warning about doing something like this and the consequences that could happen. Not a debate about who was right or wrong and it certainly wasnt meant to upset anyone (although i have now put the trig tag in the title). So if we could try and bring this post back on track.

Take care,

Paul.
I don't think a warning really belongs in the Soap Box forum, but either way, sorry for taking this forum the wrong way.

seeking-solitude

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Hey poison,

It wasn't really a warning, but i could see this thread was upsetting people and thats why i stepped in. I am worried the thread could go the wrong way, so it was a request if we could maybe try and pull in the reigns in on this one a little. My primary concern is always the members. I'm not here to scold anyone.

Take care,

Paul.

poison

Oh, all right. All though I don't think I'd necessacarily start a fight, I guess I could see this become a flame war between two other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00