????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fairlady300zx

Why do I or we bother trying I feel so shit all the time and at least 80% of the time I'm hiding it all. Not through embarrassment etc just do. Hate thus shit

Fairlady300zx

No the few people I know and work with have no idea the thoughts I have so must hide it well. I probably just don't want the attention or people pussy footing around me even tho I know I need help badly

Lisa the Goatgirl

She's less of an enigma now
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I think in my case at least, i often worry that if i share my problems, my negativity and mopiness will infect them and drag them down with me. After all, misery loves company. Plus, i don't want to paint myself as "that depressive sadsack that everyone should just cast out". Then there's the few people who do sort of get it and are close to me, and hearing that stuff will cause them pain, and i feel like i'me the only one who should be in pain, not any of them. Plus if i talk about my issues too much, then i feel like i'm just moaning and boring everyone with my whining. Can't necessarily speak for everyone, but i get a general sense that may be the case with some others here.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
I think when depression gets really bad and a person needs help, people are better off talking to a therapist about it, not friends and family. First of all, therapists are fully prepared and equipped to help, it's what they trained for, it's their job. What will I accomplish by telling my Aunt Flo that I'm depressed? Two things, first, poor Aunt Flo will get depressed, and then second, I'll become more depressed because I made Aunt Flo depressed. Same thing applies to friends. Yes, they love you and care about you, and they'll hug you and hold your hand and say nice things, but chronic persistent depression requires a lot more than that if it's going to get better. I don't mean that it should be hidden from family and friends, like some deep dark secret, I'm saying that when a person is severely depressed and really needs help, they need to seek it out from a professional, not Aunt Flo, because that's where they're most likely to find it.

I'd agree that seeing a therapist is a good idea. Whether, or how much, one should speak to family and friends really depends on the situation.

For some people, building a network of support that includes a therapist as well as friends and relatives is helpful

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
first I agree with @HumanExMachina that nothing replaces professional help for depression or other mental health issues. I think family/friends that can be trusted should be told and used as a safety net between appointments and in crises, they may also be able to get you emergency care if needed, as long as they can handle it. this can also explain to them your behavior when things get bad. I also think SF is very important as help between appointments in crises or for people that don't need or want professional help it can make a difference. a place like SF can be a god send for people ready to go, it saves lives and helps maintain good mental health by always having someone there when needed. I rarely need support but when I do SF has helped me. I think it should be a delicate balance depending on the person between, professional help/ family/friends and SF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$50.00
Goal
$255.00