18 Early Signs of a Potential Abuser/ 15 warning signs..

soapymongoose

It's like you've looked at my bio-dad and step-dad and written a formative list detailing their more "interesting" traits. I also noticed some things that I've found myself doing in relationships and passing it off as part of my personality.

I'm glad I read it now :huh:

Thank you for posting this.
I'm going to print off two copies. One for my journal and the other to be posted on my bedroom wall next to this homemade manual I made with one of the nurses when I was in the psych ward.
I just want to say that it seemed a little heterosexist, meaning that it sounded like you're talking about a heterosexual couple... maybe I'm being oversensitive, Idk.

MistyMaisy

My ex boyfriend (but is trying to say there isn't anything wrong with him and it's me and my family so I'll go back with him again) is ALL of these... Is it possible? O.o

BP#1

18 Early Signs of a Potential Abuser or Batterer

1. Being overly needy - always needing help or some type of emotional support from you. Potential abusers often start out with a poor sad puppy or bleeding heart type of behavior. They express feeling downtrodden, saying they always come up short or mistreated by others. Always wants your help to fix or overcome this "problem".

2. Makes decisions for you without asking - about social plans, dinner menus, etc. You are often not asked what you want or if commitments fit your schedule before they commit you and your time or make other choices for you.

3. Bragging or excessive boasting - potential abusers often try to impress by bragging on accomplishments. Cocky, relaxed or arrogant in their own social circle, but may be uncomfortable in yours.

4. Insecure around others/General paranoia - May seem "normal" in conversations with you, but uncomfortable around others you introduce him to such as your friends, family, co-workers, etc. Potential abusers are often paranoid in general - of other's motives or actions (including yours) in an unrealistic way, looking for hidden meanings, unfounded suspicions.

5. Invades your privacy - shows up unexpectedly at your house, in social settings when you are out with friends. Is generally "nosey" about what you are doing, who your friends are, picks up and reads your mail when visiting you. Questions you about activities in ways that seem unreasonable or intrusive.

6. Ignores or disregards your boundaries - pressures you in spite of your having said no (to any thing/activity), appears to deliberately do things or treat you in ways you have expressly said you dislike. Acts as though "they forgot" when crossing a boundary you have expressed previously.

7. Lies or Manipulates you - Finding out you have not been told the truth about something, often even simple things that seem silly to hide or lie about. Situations that make you feel misled and you feel you were deceived for no reason, that the truth would have been easily acceptable. Resorts to being angry or evasive when confronted with the truth.

8. Over-reacts, uptight or twitchy - A potential abuser is over-sensitive to simple situations, small comments, often seems "on edge" or uneasy for no reason. You may ask "what's wrong" when they are obviously acting uptight, yet they won't share anything, preferring to answer "nothing" or try to pretend things are fine.

9. Pushy with others and/or you - Can't let others have their own opinions, must have the last word. May cause arguments or take issue with others, often over things that seem simple or not worth arguing over.

10.Pressuring you for sexual acts[/B] - these are often for sexual favors or acts that you are uncomfortable with and/or dislike. Tries to point out others "do it", swears they "can't help themselves". Ignores your wishes to not engage in such activities. This type of behavior is about not being able to control themselves sexually with partners.

11. Feelings of discomfort around their family/friends - Something about their close friends, family members, etc. doesn't feel right. You often feel like a misfit in their company, or perhaps that you don't really like these individuals. Family members may seem harsh to each other, unforgiving or unreasonable in their expectations, they may argue openly in front of you.

12. Overbearing parents or other family - Family members expect to tell them what job to do, what to do for socials, what instruments and such the children/teenagers should play, in general deciding what they should do and not do. Often times eventual victims are pushed into marriage by the potential abuser's family, as if it's ok to make the decision for you or assume marriage on your behalf, make plans and arrangements for wedding ceremonies and parties without consulting with you.

13. Road rage - Viewing other people's bad driving as a personal assault, like they were doing something on purpose. Aggressive toward other drivers who are minding their own business, won't allow others to pass, plays games with innocent drivers just to annoy/aggravate them. Other drivers are considered "idiots".

14. Possessive - dislikes letting you out of their sight, takes offense when others offer you compliments, feels others are trying to take you away from them.

15. Ignoring your own gut instincts - when you have feelings of discomfort, misgivings, yet you ignore them or brush them aside, constantly making excuses for the dating partner's behaviors that seem inappropriate, or defending them against others.

16. Uses spiritual beliefs or religion to pressure you into commitment - telling you God has plans for you together, how you are meant to be together because it was God's plan. Often this later leads to pressuring that you would be disobeying God if you left the relationship.

17. Disgruntled relationships with previous partners - Abusers often have lingering discontent with former girlfriends/boyfriends or spouses. Often they blame past partners for relationship failures, deny past abuse charges or arrests (may admit the legal action occurred but deny they were at fault), or have constant arguments with former partners over the children (custody, parenting issues) from these relationships.

18. Stories of previous anger, violence or abuse - Others close to them, often friends or family, tell stories or relate incidents of outbursts or violence. Often times to a future victim these stories seem unbelievable or out of character for the new partner, the victim cannot believe the new partner could act in such a way.

15 Warning Signs of An Abusive or Battering Personality

1. Quick Involvement: Many victims of battering date or know their abuser for less than six months before they are engaged or living together. The battering type comes on strong, claiming, "you're the only person I could ever talk to," or "I've never felt loved like this by anyone." He/she pressures you for an exclusive commitment almost immediately.

2. Jealousy: An abuser will always say that his jealousy is a sign of love. Excessively possessive, calls constantly, or visits unexpectedly, suspicious of your friendship and involvement with others.

3. Controlling Behavior: Questions you intensely about whom you talked to and where you were, checks car mileage or checks up on you in other ways; keeps all the money; insists you ask for permission to go anywhere or do anything.

4. Unrealistic Expectations: Expects you to be the perfect partner and to meet his/her every need and/or the children's needs without help.

5. Isolation: Limits your involvement with family and friends; deprives you of a phone or a car; tries to prevent you from holding a job. You try to keep the abuser happy by not seeing anyone but him/her. You become truly isolated with no friends or family you feel close enough to talk to about what's going on.

6. Blames Others for Problems: Any mistakes made by the batterer will be blamed on you or someone else. The job, the waitress, you, anyone - it's always someone else's fault if any thing goes wrong. Everyone is out to get him/her.

7. Blames Others for Feelings: They say, "You've caused this problem by making me feel this way" or "You make me angry, I can't help it" instead of "I'm sorry" or "Let's work this out".

8. Hypersensitivity: Is easily insulted. They'll rant and rave about injustices that are just part of everyday living.

9. Cruelty to Animals and Children: Kills or punishes animals brutally, being insensitive to their pain or suffering. Also, may expect children to do things beyond their ability, tease them until they cry, or tickle them until they hurt.

10. Playful Use of Force During Sex: Enjoys throwing you down or holding you down against your will during sex, says he/she finds the idea of rape exciting. A batterer may show little concen about whether you want to have sex and use anger to get you to give into having sex.

11. Verbal Abuse: Constantly criticizes you or says cruel things, degrades you, swears at you, name-calling.

12. Rigid Sex Roles: Expects you to serve, obey, and remain at home.

13. Sudden Mood Swings, "Dr.Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde": Switches from sweet and loving to explosively violent in a matter of minutes. Mood swings and explosive emotions are typical of a battering personality.

14. Past Battering: Admits hitting men/women in the past but says the situation brought it on. Legal convictions of past battering with another partner, but denys wrong-doing.

15. Threats of Violence: Makes statements such as, "I'll hurt you", "I'll kill you" or "I'll slap you", then dismisses them with "I really didn't mean it" or "I was just upset."[/QUOTE Yes.......................

BP#1

I see what your describing in allot of people. Some acts more in others. l feel everyone may identify with one or more of these acts in people however, to what degree do you base a potential molester on? All? Some? You neglected some important acts. l would keep this information in the back of your mind but, lf you see an aggressive driver, don't start thinking he may be a molester....

Matt93

18 Early Signs of a Potential Abuser or Batterer

1. Being overly needy

3. Bragging or excessive boasting

4. Insecure around others/General paranoia -

7. Lies or Manipulates you -

8. Over-reacts, uptight or twitchy

11. Feelings of discomfort around their family/friends -

15 Warning Signs of An Abusive or Battering Personality

2. Jealousy:

4. Unrealistic Expectations:

8. Hypersensitivity:

10. Playful Use of Force During Sex:

13. Sudden Mood Swings, "Dr.Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde":
That is pretty much me.
I have had feelings of wanting to hit past partners, but I don't think I ever would. But, it scares me terribly when I feel like that.

Shit, never saw this thread before, and i dont like it one bit.
Toned down i did many of the things listed here, i cringe and carry a deep shame.
But that man is not me now.
Truth hurts.

Shit, never saw this thread before, and i dont like it one bit.
Toned down i did many of the things listed here, i cringe and carry a deep shame.
But that man is not me now.
Truth hurts.
Ouch again, while surfing i found this.
Tell you something too, how many abused have been abusers too.
Tons.
Its a cycle that goes round and round.
Im glad i got off.

gloomy

Account Closed
Some of these could describe anyone with an anxiety disorder.

I guess everyone wants a perfect partner and yeah, you shouldn't let people push you around or make you feel unsafe, but if someone is uncomfortable around your friends it doesn't mean they're abusive it might just mean that they don't know what to say. And who isn't more comfortable around their own friends than someone else's? It's especially ironic since later in the list apparently if YOU are uncomfortable around THEIR friends it also means that they're an abuser-- I guess that anyone with SAD is an abuser.

japanlover

A lot of it seemed really generic besides the obvious points. Some of the points I would say are related to a stubborn person not an abuser. Sometimes tough love is what the other needs. Tough love being towards me. If they like the muppets its a sign of abuse...Lol

truthhurts

yeah some of these things are kind of general, but i think the point is having many of them coexist.
from my own experience, my dad has almost all of the listed things, yet he only has very rare outbreaks now. used to be worse but kind of for a reason [not saying that'd function as an excuse].

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00