Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by bluekangaroo, Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluekangaroo

bluekangaroo Active Member

my cuts from today really burn. Does anyone know why this would be?

2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

They could just be healing, or they could be infected. have you but an antibiotic ontment on them?

3. bluekangaroo

yes, i put triple antibiotic ointment on them, but i've put that on other cuts before and they didn't burn..
    ..but it's dying down now, so i guess it was nothing.
    thanks though! :smile:

4. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

:) Welcomes! I'm sure you know the best thing is not to cut...but try to be careful because if you get a staph infection or something it can be really dangerous. I'm glad you are feeling better though.

5. bluekangaroo

you can get a staph infection from cutting?

6. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Indeed, you can. That's why it's important to clean the cuts and use first aid if needs be to prevent infection. Although, it's best not to cut at all. :hug:

7. bluekangaroo

even if it's not that deep? Do your utensils have to be really dirty and be contaminated with staph in order to get it? Do you have to come in contact with staph infection?

8. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

The bacterium which causes the infection lives on a lot of peoples skin, when it enters the body that's when the infection can start. I'm not sure if a staph infection is caused by the dirty utensils, but I know infections are caused by dirty utensils. They could be the same but I don't know. Either way, like I said earlier it's important to keep your cuts clean, regardless of whether they are deep or not (a cut doesn't need to be deep to get infected, a break in the skin can be enough), to prevent infection. Infections can turn deadly.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2007
  9. bluekangaroo

good to know, thanks.

10. Isa

Isa Well-Known Member

Sometimes they just do, no matter how deep or thick they are, sometimes you feel nothing and sometime they hurt desperately.

Try not to think about it, keep the wounds clean and dry and dont take a bath until your wounds are healed. (or if you do keep the wounds out of the water)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.