$1million payout for teenager bullied at school

Discussion in 'Bullying and Violence' started by resistance, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Your thoughts? Is $1mil enough?

:mad: Gah, that story made me so angry. How on EARTH did the school and the bullies get away with such behaviour?! A simple slap on the wrists for giving this poor lad years of torment that will stay with him for his entire life. Grrrr.

I think the principal of that school and the main bullies should face prosecution. There is absolutely no excuse for what that Mr Cox went through. $1mil is an awful lot of money, it will help, but does it solve anything? Nope. I guess it's a little comfort but in my eyes, it's not enough. The people who caused the traumatic bullying should be punished :mad:

Mr Cox could benefit from some sort of therapy, too. I understand he's scared of strangers but living his whole life playing computer games in isolation isn't going to solve anything and will only make him feel more lonely and who knows where he'll end up in the future... :(

Damn bullies :mad:
  2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

I agree that there should be some sort of punitive action taken against the school personnel and the bully himself. All those years of torment and nothing was ever done to rectify the situation????:mad: That is inexcusable, in my opinion. Perhaps if some of the financial award were to come out of the pay of the school personnel most directly responsible (or irresponsible) and some from the family of the bully himself. Disgusting!!:mad:

Perhaps the principal should lose his/her job. It seems they have no concept of the psychology of children as it is. They have no business being in the business of education of young kids, imo!
  3. goingmobile

goingmobile Active Member

Yes, the teachers perhaps could've gotten more involved... but why the fuck didn't the mother pull her child out ?? Homeschool him ? transfer ? It didn't say she even contacted the police until the tormenting was a whiles underway. There is blame for everyone. Not just the school. One million is too much.
  4. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

1 million is not nearly enought, especially when your whole life is ruined, he will never have a chance at being normal. He should get enough money to live off his entire life, and the bullies should be jailed for attempted murder assault and battery.
  5. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I'm afraid I'm going to disagree here :unsure:.

First things first, the headteacher should definitely have lost his job. That just isn't acceptable.

Secondly, I feel that the mother did have a certain amount of responsibility to take her son out of that school before it reached that level (as goingmobile said). But of course the primary blame lies with the school.

I agree that the bullies should be punished, but not legally. They must have been about 6, 7, maybe 8 when they were attacking this boy. That's not old enough to be held legally accountable, not even nearly. When I was 4, 5, and 6, children my own age kicked the shit out of me and excluded me from everything on a daily basis. But there's no way I'd expect them to be held accountable in a court or anything. Their parents should have told them that that behaviour wasn't appropriate, and the school were hugely at fault as well. I think of those children as being victims in the same way I was. No-one showed them the right and wrong way to treat others. :sad:

When children are older, it's a bit different. But at that age it isn't really their responsibility.

One aspect of this story, and this article, (aside from the bullying itself) made me very angry indeed. Self fulfilled prophesy, anyone? :dry: If you tell a man that "He will never know the satisfaction of employment. He will suffer anxiety and depression for the rest of his life. He is unlikely to form any relationships. He has no friends and is unlikely to make any." Then that will most likely be the case! What this guy (who is my age) needs is some real support, and some therapy. I fully agree that the cost of this should have been awarded to him and organised for him. But giving him money to live off.... that's just wrong! He can recover from this! But now he probably never will. That makes me very angry :mad:.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2007
  6. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

yeah well the day he can take care of himself is the day they can stop paying him.
  7. Syd

Syd Guest

Some people think I'm exaggerating when I compare the social environment of public schools to prisons. Those people should read this article. It's a pretty real example of what happens to millions of children each year, the only difference is that this case somehow became public and the victim actually received compensation.

Renovate. educational. system. now.

This million is wasted money. Most modern day societies could take a tiny fraction of what's spent on military and use it for educational research, psychology, improving social environments.. which in turn would boost ever other sector of a healthy nation. Maybe we could actually start teaching responsible parenting and cut down on criminal behavior?

Nah, fuck it. Let's live in the dark ages.
  8. Allo..

Allo.. Well-Known Member

are they going to pay all the people on here with social anx. $1 million too..?
  9. itachi

itachi Well-Known Member

where's my million? , then i could get to Aus and back lots of tyms.
  10. I deserve at least $10 million due to what my teachers did to me.
  11. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

I think all bullies should be obligated to pay greivances to their victims! :dry:
  12. incombustible2000

incombustible2000 Well-Known Member

there is no need to victimize the victim, she probaly thought that the school would look after it we would think that we could have faithin the school system. She was naive, but I am sure that you cannot blame her.
  13. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

I dont think you can put a dollar amount on the kind of suffering that that child went through. He will suffer for the rest of his life b/c some asshole who was raised to think it was okay to bully put so much fear into this child that he can't even function in society. Not only should the school be seriously disciplined at their lack of authority, but the parents of that child should be disciplined. They wouldn't have liked it if the tables were turned. I hope that that bully feels realllll big about himself making some person feel the way that he does.

14. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

No money can make pain to go away, no money can heal emotional scars, no money can apologize and no money erases memories!
  15. pit

pit Well-Known Member

No money can make the pain go away....but I'll take it anyway!
  16. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

LOL! me too.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.