2008 U.S. Presidential Election

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just putting this up as a reserved thread for discussing possible candidates and issues related to the upcoming election. I'm not going to add much at the moment, except for perhaps a few bits of news here and there. Feel free to support your candidates, discuss issues, anything related to the election is fine.

Currently I'm very much neutral, and have no idea who I'll be voting for. I'd like to mention though, Dennis Kucinich has recently announced that he's running for presidency again. I supported him back in 03-04, and feel he's one of the few politicians that can be trusted to follow through on his campaign goals. Some consider his viewpoints as radical, but the man has his priorities well placed in terms of social improvement (including issues like health care and education) while advocating better relations and more cooperation with the U.N. in regards to international affairs.

I doubt I would agree with everything his campaign stands for, but then again there is probably no political campaign in existence that perfectly fits my ideals. Kucinich's perspective is however a much closer fit to my political ideologies than other well-known candidates. He's definitely on my list of candidates to keep an eye on, though (sadly) I very much doubt he will get much of a following. His ideas are great, but he's probably not the most charismatic public speaker, and from what I've seen - his stance is not going to be moderate enough to capture majority vote. I'm still happy to see him running though, I think his group sends important messages that need to be heard.

Possible Democratic nominees: Hillary Clinton, Barack Obama, John Edwards, John Kerry, Joe Biden, Evan Bayh, Dennis Kucinich, Bill Richardson,Tom Vilsack, etc.

Possible Republican nominees: Rudy Giuliani, John McCain, Newt Gingrich, Mitt Romney, Sam Brownback, Condi Rice, Mike Huckabee, George Pataki, Tommy Thompson, Duncan Hunter, etc.

Feel free to mention others I've forgotten, I'm too lazy to think of more right now.

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I'd love to see Obama and Kucinich on the Dem ticket together.:biggrin: :biggrin: I like them both far more than any of the other possible candidates, and believe they're both young enough, in years and in attitudes, to bring a fresh start to our battered country.:smile:

I don't care if Hillary wants to be the first woman president. I don't care that she's female - she voted for the war and that makes her a hawk, imo, and I won't vote for a hawk.:mad: I want a dove of peace living in that Big White House... and believe that it's possible.:smile:

least

only 766 more days of dubya's reign of terror:smile: ... I hope we can live thru it.:sad:

T

thecleric

The real momentum is with

Given his prominent success in 2006, I'd say the real front runner is Weird Al Yankovic.

Bob26003

Hell Yes......... Kucinich is Probably the best we are gonna get...

Lets just make sure He dont get swiftboated and that he MSM dont pull him towards the middle.

That is great news!

P

ProzacDeathWish

Hell Yes......... Kucinich is Probably the best we are gonna get...

Lets just make sure He dont get swiftboated and that he MSM dont pull him towards the middle.

That is great news!
I don't know,... none of the potential candidates really excite me :sleep: . Choosing between the Dem's and Rep's is like choosing between syphillis and gonorrhea. :bash:

They're all career politicians which means that they will say one thing and then do another ( ie, Bush Sr's "read my lips...no new taxes!" ). :hysterica

I'm sorry but none of these candidates is going to stray too far from their political parties principles, otherwise they won't be nominated. If they want their political careers to continue they will all fall in line behind the dictates of their party "bosses". :bottom:

I don't claim to be clairvoyant ( obviously ) but after the next presidential election is over, expect your lives to remain the same with little or nothing to show for having voted for your favorite candidate. :patriot:

Last edited:

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
The cynic in me says you're likely right on the mark, more's the pity...:sad: Kucinich wouldn't likely sell out tho, which means he may not make it too far - too honest, ya know.:dry:

least

...not to mention an election system in which I have little faith of its honesty or accuracy...

TG123

I don't know,... none of the potential candidates really excite me :sleep: . Choosing between the Dem's and Rep's is like choosing between syphillis and gonorrhea. :bash:

They're all career politicians which means that they will say one thing and then do another ( ie, Bush Sr's "read my lips...no new taxes!" ). :hysterica

I'm sorry but none of these candidates is going to stray too far from their political parties principles, otherwise they won't be nominated. If they want their political careers to continue they will all fall in line behind the dictates of their party "bosses". :bottom:

I don't claim to be clairvoyant ( obviously ) but after the next presidential election is over, expect your lives to remain the same with little or nothing to show for having voted for your favorite candidate. :patriot:
Wow... for the first time in my life I agree with everything you have said...

Cristo Vive!
- Tomasz

yeahmayb

Antiquitie's Friend

I agree---I think I'll go with a round of gammogoblin to prevent catching it when I vote---for which ever I figure will cause the LEAST damage---ugh I hate those kinds of elections

Bob26003

I understand your disgust Prozac DW. You must understand though, a functioning Democracy requires participation by the populi. And that is what we are losing. Whether it is intended to be that way, go figure.

Also, the Differences in principles is not to be taken lightly. Chances are IMO, we will now get Universal Healthcare, or at least move substancially in that direction.

Compare that with our current adventure in Iraq which is the most Privatized War in history. If you can even call it a War.

Also, Republicans want a Dictator. Anyone with a brain can see that. No oversight. The pres dont have to follow the laws and so on and so on.

P

ProzacDeathWish

I won't even be alive during the next presidential election.
Unfortunately, that's a possibility that exists for many of us on this forum.:unsure:......but, I hope that you will stick around ( plus you have some viewpoints that I really identify with :victory: :yes: )

P

ProzacDeathWish

I understand your disgust Prozac DW. You must understand though, a functioning Democracy requires participation by the populi. And that is what we are losing. Whether it is intended to be that way, go figure.

Also, the Differences in principles is not to be taken lightly. Chances are IMO, we will now get Universal Healthcare, or at least move substancially in that direction.

Compare that with our current adventure in Iraq which is the most Privatized War in history. If you can even call it a War.

Also, Republicans want a Dictator. Anyone with a brain can see that. No oversight. The pres dont have to follow the laws and so on and so on.
Ummh, I'm just not as optimistic about the political process as you are ( besides, how much optimism could you expect to find on a suicide
forum, heh heh ? ) I guess you could say that I'm disillusioned, I have little faith in the candidates, the American political process, or human nature in general.

When I'm not wallowing in my own misery here at the SF, I cruise the internet checking out the political websites. I personally DESPISE
our current president; a pampered, frat boy, who has always lived a life of private luxury. A courageous "Commander in Chief" who is extremely brave with other men's lives, ( apparently the blood of the current Bush generation is too precious to spill. :dry: )

I notice on this forum, that for the most part, the Rep's are universally despised while the Dems are looked upon almost as if they completely lack the ability to be corrupt ( an over-simplification, I know ). I mean, when I go to the web-sites that are critical of our current Prez, I'm like, "Yeah, go get him!! Dig up all the dirt on that morally deficient, incompetent ass-hole !!! "

Then I keep reading and I see that they are just as partisan as Fox News
ever was, except in support of left wing candidates. Does objective journalism even exist ?

I mean really, was Bill Clinton really such a awesome leader ? Intelligent ? Hell yes! There aren't too many Rhodes scholars who are morons. Charismatic ? Without a doubt, he's downright likeable in fact. Yes, he was better than Bush is now, but what kind of standard is that ?

Clinton was the political equivalent of John Gotti; smart, savvy and he knew how to get the job done..and totally lacking in personal integrity. ( ps, I speak of matters other than Monica Lewinski, Clinton's sexual activities are a complete non-issue with me. )

Bush is the equivalent of an ape that someone shaved and put into a suit. He is totally lacking in what it takes to be a real leader. Bush is nothing
but a political figurehead :cheer: for conservative causes and whose "advisors" actually do much more than advise....he is their empty-headed puppet who can barely zip up his own pants. :loopy: :screwloos :confused: .

As a former Libertarian ( hey, don't laugh ! ) I don't endorse the concept
of a pure democracy anyway....I prefer a democratic republic with its
built-in safeguards that can't be implemented with a simple "majority rules"
democracy.

To wit: "Unrestrained democracy is like two wolves and a sheep voting on what to eat."

Thank you for allowing me to express my totally "un-biased" :hysterica
opinion on this forum.

Cheers :thumbup:

Last edited:

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Dear PDW;

I love reading your posts!:smile: You are intelligent and entertaining, plus making some good, albeit cynical, points. I enjoy conversing with you!:smile:

least

Oops, almost forgot about this thread.

Cynicism and political humor are always cute Prozac, but it's a common way to avoid approaching the actual issues.

If we're not taking part in some political activism or at least voting, our complaints and criticisms aren't going to have much value. Offer some real solutions instead of just attacking. I don't mean generalizing and including vague references and quotes by european political leaders of the past, or mentioning previous affiliations and political brand-names to define yourself; I want the real, cold-hard opinions on modern day events and issues. Tell us what changes you'd like to see! Don't be modest about it, the beauty of an online forum is the comforting blanket of anonymity and freedom of expression after all.

I'm not sure if you're still around, but perhaps you've gained more interest in current political events since the last time we talked.

You've praised former president Clinton, so perhaps you're interested in supporting his wife. Many people believe electing her would be the equivalent of re-electing Bill, since he may be involved behind the scenes, even though his wife plays the leadership role.

Also, I understand your skepticism over the candidates, but have you really read Kucinich's views on the issues? I'm a bit offended that you so easily generalize and brush off the entire group of democratic potentials as hiding behind political facades. Check out Kucinich's ideas here. It's funny how people love to label him as an extremist or even a nut-case, yet he's a candidate that's refreshingly free from corruption, and is the most altruistic and genuine person running. (look at his history, and the self-sacrifice he made for others) He was considering running as an independent, but had the practicality to realize that it would take support from the democrats to have a real chance at helping the nation. How can independents possibly come out on top in our bipartisan society? Not everyone is as filthy rich as Ross Perot.

Yes, I'm obviously a spiritual supporter of Kucinich, but inevitably I'll have to vote for someone who has a chance at presidency. I'm still undecided, though I'm actually considering Hillary if she has a real chance, and if her campaign would be similar to that of Bill Clinton's era. Having grown up in America during the 90s, I still heavily identify with former president Clinton, and I'd love to have that kind of leadership and support in our nation again. I don't know yet, I still need to consider other options.

It's easy to roll eyes at politics and just say "yeah, our lives aren't going to change much with a new president" but that's really just a cynical way of saying "I don't really care for politics much, and would be content to focus on more enjoyable aspects of life". That's cool, do what makes you happy. I don't care if people choose to focus on other topics, but for those of us who are interested in contributing to society and helping others, being politically active should be something done out of principle and respect for humanity. It could even be something small, even if my one measly vote doesn't seem to make a difference, it's about setting a good example for others. If thousands and millions of others think "oh my vote doesn't matter" and choose not to participate, well then we end up with people like George W. Bush as president.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up leaving the country and taking residence in Canada or Europe in the near future. Maybe it would be healthier for me to give up on the American environment and leave the politics to others. Right now I'm here though, and so I'm wanting to take part in a political movement and feel part of the community.

I'm very open-minded, and I'm beginning to favor progression over idealism, which is why I'm willing to look into political moderates and those who focus more on finding acceptable agreements on issues, rather than fighting against the opposition.

I'd like to elect a candidate who will move our country more in the direction of centrism, someone to start building a new foundation and structure for our society. I'd like to see groundwork being laid out for more progressive politicians to have a stand, and hopefully the possibility for a moderate party to take shape. I think that's what's missing - a group that can find an objective balance between the right and leftwing movements, and focus on agreements and progression rather than propaganda and rhetoric.

The moderates of course co-exist with both republicans and democrats, because the two rival parties would provide the viewpoints and ideas on issues. It would mainly be the moderates' job to be creative enough to find the middle ground between opposing viewpoints and design solutions that the majority of the population can agree on.

Does anyone else think moderates should play more important roles?

Last edited:
B

Bostonensis

Syd,

Somehow when you talk I always find your laments/comments speaks for mine. I have trouble expressing my voice without sounding radical. If I am not in this forum I am listening on Cspan. Kucinich is the only person on the floor that I can understand & has no gray areas to get into. He is the first person that advocated that in order to stop the war in Iraq is to cut the money & bring the troops home. Very clear & drive to the core & the morons in his party did not back him up until lately. I don't know yet what is his foreign policy gonna be. But as far as integrity ,there is no gray areas on that too.

theleastofthese

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
I'd still like to see a ticket with Obama and Kucinich or maybe Obama and Edwards. Kucinich is a vegetarian too, not that it matters much, but it matters to me. Only 591 more days of bush's reign of terror...

S

suicide_ideation

EDWARDS/OBAMA 2008

I like Kucinich and Ralph Nader also.

But I'm being realistic.

I'm putting all my hopes on Edwards.

I'm still really undecided on who to vote for. I'm trying to look into as many different viewpoints as possible. There's still plenty of time to decide, so there's no real rush.

Currently I'm looking into Ron Paul's viewpoints, though haven't been able to find as much information as I'd like on certain issues. He's running as a Republican but is actually more of a Libertarian.

If anyone has some good resources or information on him I'd appreciate some links or your personal opinions, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00