Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by resistance, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

At the risk of sounding insane, does anyone here have a strong feeling 2008 is going to be a bad year? I have been feeling this way for a few days now, and tonight I have been thinking about it a lot. I have a very strong feeling something awful is going to happen this year. It doesn't need to be about me, it can be within my family, friends, work, the UK or even the world. I don't normally get these thoughts... I'm scaring myself with this thought! I know we can't change anything etc.. but I have a very strong feeling 2008 is going to be a bad year.

I mean, already, events have been happening in the UK and the world too. The crash at Heathrow, the stockmarkets and most recently, Heath Ledger's death and other events too.. it's only 22 days into 2008! Then there's been some events in my personal life, 2008 has been a non-stop bad year so far.

I am convinced something terribly awful is going to happen.
  2. brokensoul98

brokensoul98 Well-Known Member

if you think negative,,then the negative will happen...i try to think positive..
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

According to the chinese the number "8" is VERY lucky, so they're saying it will be a great year....whatever suits you I guess.
  4. D3ath

D3ath Well-Known Member

Every year terrible stuff happens, even every day bad stuff happens.

However theres also alot of good which happens, it depends on which one you want to concentrate more on the good or the bad?
  5. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

im not looking foreward to this year either but everybody should try and focus on the positive however difficult that may be.

you mention the 'crash' at Heathrow.
    well i look at that as good news, the plane landed sucessfully when it could have really crashed killing all those people on the plane and people on the ground.
    i dont believe in all this but that could possibly be called a miracle or it could be a sign of good things.

also the stockmarkets, it doesnt look good and personally im losing (yet more) money. However, even if there is a serious crash and the economy tanks, it may be bad financial wise but it may bring out the best in people with other things. people will probably help each other out in other ways to try and pull through any recession or similar things (i hope).

well i say look optimistic atm but give it a little while and im sure i will be looking at the negative side of things again. :unsure:
  6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

There can be negative and positive things about just about any situation. I cannot say what the year 2008 will bring or if I feel it will be a good or bad year. My perspective changes according to the way I am feeling when I think about it. If you find yourself only seeing the negatives that have happened, try to counter them with a positive.It does balance out.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i hope it gets better for you hun :hug:
  8. Light_In_The_Dark

Light_In_The_Dark Well-Known Member

:hug: Hey, everything will get better. Stay strong and never surrender!
  9. Beret

Beret Staff Alumni

Hope it will be a better year for me then 2007 :eek:hmy:
  10. hi there

hi there Guest

How about some honest newspaper headlines for once?

HEATH LEDGER: MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOU OR YOUR DEAD FATHER, BECAUSE HIS MOVIES HAVE MADE PEOPLE WEALTHY. In other news, scientists discover deadly flesh-eating virus has already infected half of Africa and could destroy all of humanity by 2012. Weather report: Slightly cloudy with chance of showers.
  11. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I'm getting a pretty bad vibe for 2008 as well. I hope its nothing serious, but with the stock market going down and the other stuff already, I don't know. Last year was a great year for me all in all.
  12. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

I am a staunch realist: when bad things are happening, it's hard to pretend they are not. However, bad things, even major bad things, do not obliterate all the good in the world (unless we allow them to).

In bad situations (of a global or a personal nature), I believe we have options. We can acknowledge the the negative and sink into it, becoming darker and more ominous in ourselves, thus supporting and spreading the negativity. Or we can "acknowledge" the negative, review the possible/likely results, look for ways to improve on things if we can, AND ALSO remember/acknowledge/use our own positive feelings about anything to create positive vibes of some kind around us whether the positives are related to the negative or not. I know this doesn't alter the bad things, but it does ensure that some sort of positive vibe is still in the world.

Dwelling on negatives doesn't change things - it usually makes me feel more and more helpless. I don't try to change the world all by myself, but anything at all positive that I can find or give might make things better, even in the tiniest of ways. I want a good world, so I strive to add to that.

Sorry for ranting. :blink:
  13. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Yeah well I am trying to think more positively. Maybe, I'm thinking this way because everything has happened at once.
  14. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

It is hard when everything seems to be sad or bad news all at once. I don't mean to say we can pretend upsetting things don't happen. They do. It's a question of what we do with things after we get through our initial shock and sadness.

Hang in there, sweetie! Somewhere today, even though the news probably won't report it, someone will do a random act of kindness for someone elxe and that can give us hope.
  15. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

I'm sorry about how badly your year has started, reminds me a bit of 2006 for me, but if you can you've really got to try and do something to get these thoughts out of your mind, otherwise you'll just end up feeling worse. I know that things can change for you.
  16. sophie5121

sophie5121 Well-Known Member

i agree i also have a feeling its gona be a bad year.. :(
    but lets try to make it good..
    cuz lets face it it can't get much worse then 2007, that was the worst:(
  17. rwillson

rwillson Well-Known Member

i don't see things changing. i guess i am a pessimist, but life to me seems like a hall way and somewhere a door opened to another hallway that has no other doors, is that psych ward hospital filthy and seems to go on endlessly, ben that way since 2001...

i don't se things changing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.