2009: 27 Million slaves around the world (May Trigger!)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Summer.Rain, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer.Rain

Summer.Rain Well-Known Member

Yet another news i found, its in Hebrew and i couldnt find a web page
    transaltor that can deal with it, if you can please help me with it:
    http://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-3698937,00.html

Now i cant translate so i just write a short summery:

1. Around the world there are more then 27 Million slaves!
    2. 80% of them are women and young girls.
    3. The slavery is not admited to just some local geograpic spots its all around the world.
    4. Asia got the most slaves in the whole world! even though there are also slaves
    in Europe, and USA!
    5. Today there are more slaves around the world then in any time during the entire human history!
    6. One of the resons for that is the Captalist way of life.
    7. More then 90 citys across USA got slaves!
    8. In the USA every year 800.000 people are sold to slavery
    9. In Europe every year 500.000 people are sold to slavery
    8. Most of the slaves are girls that are sold to sexual slavery
    9. There are 4 tipe of slaves: Labor slaves, Sex Slaves, Child Slaves, and slaves that are used for organs!
    10. In Thailand young girls are been kidnapt and sold to sexual slavery!

There are people, who take money loans so that they can buy medical
    treatment for thair relatives, which results in them unable to pay it back
    so they offer themselfs or thair childer to slavery. They dont use the word
    "Slaves", but they think that they work for free only because all thair income is
    going on paying back the dept, while in fact they work for free.

There are slaves in deep finansial crisis who work just so that they will
    get food and a place to sleep!

There are immagrating teenage girls who work at house keeping
    and not only that they dont recive any payment, they are also abused
    physicly, and sexualy!

Tereza (14 years old girl): "I wake up at 4AM and working untill 10PM, i do everything
    from loundary to cleaning, shopping, and babysitting. they told me ill get 2.5$
    every month but i never saw this money"

Rozli (9 years old girl): "They abuse me physicly and psychologicly, if i say
    that im too tired, or sick, they use a whip to hit me, if i take a short brake
    i get less food"

Bridget (15 year old girl): "The husbend wakes me up at night and rapes me
    he used a knife to threaten me so that i wont tell anyone, im scared
    that if i will tell it to his wife, i will be kicked out and have no place to go"

46% of all the Coco (used for coffee) in the world is raised in small farms
    that some of them are using slave children.

There are things like Toys and Wares (shoes for example) that are sold around the world
    They are made in Asia and thay were made by slave children!

When people around the world buy cheap stuff, they must be aware
    that maybe it is cheap because slaves were used during the production.

Links:
    Free Slaves
    International Labor Organization

2. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

use google translate

cocoa is not used for coffee...

and a lot of uk food etc here is fairtrade sourced by law. cheap imported clothes not so.

3. Summer.Rain

1. google translate dosnt work, idk why... it show blank white page (IE7)

2. Cocoa is used for chocolate, my mistake

3. this "law" u talking about is not international
    when something is imported, it been bough from a supplyer
    this supplyer buy it from another supplyer in a diffrent country
    and the other (second) supplyer buy it from the stashing holds
    the manager of the stashing holds "rent" stashing spots to those who trade
    thos who trade bring the food and etc from the factory
    therfore, u cant trace something that was created by slavery
    its the main reason why its so difficult to fight slavery

4. soliloquise

i don;t know google translate worked for me...

point three... yes which is why if you buy fairtrade products they can be traced back to totally regulated suppliers and places that pay fair wage and do not use slave labour.

5. Summer.Rain

Fair Traid:
    "The movement intends to provide market access to otherwise marginalized producers, connecting them to customers and allowing access with fewer middlemen. It aims to provide higher wages than typically paid to producers in typical trading relationships"

as u can see, this organisation not only that its dont do anything
    against slavery, but it have nothing to do with it at all.

plus:
    "In 2007, Fair trade certified sales amounted to approximately €2.3 billion (US $3.62 billion) worldwide, a 47% year-to-year increase.[1] While this represents a tiny fraction of world trade in physical merchandise,[2] fair trade products generally account for 1-20% of all sales in their product categories in Europe and North America.[1]"

So the main stream still buys products that may well be produced by slave labor

6. Summer.Rain

I managed to use the google translate, its not ideal but at least something!
    Click Here

7. soliloquise

i didn't say the main stream did i was showing the solution

sigh:

http://www.antislavery.org/homepage/campaign/whatwebuy.htm

What can you do?
    Ask questions when you shop. Does your local retailer stock fair trade products? Use your consumer power to show you care -- buy fair trade marked products and Rugmark carpets, a certification scheme for rugs and carpets made without illegal child labour. In supermarkets, look out for the Fairtrade Mark. This is the best available guarantee that a product has not been produced using slave labour because goods can only be Fairtrade certified if they have complied with Fairtrade standards, which incorporate international human rights standards.

The Fairtrade System

Today 'Fairtrade' is a rapidly growing alternative system of trade which ensures that producers and workers in developing countries get a better deal from international trade. Just like the sugar boycott started by the abolitionists, Fairtrade is a campaign to encourage customers to buy fairly produced goods, rather than those produced in conditions described above.

International Fairtrade standards have been created to: ensure producers in the developing world get a fair and stable price for their goods, ensure workers are not exploited, provide a Fairtrade investment premium which can be invested in social, economic and environmental development projects, enable pre-financing for producers who require it, give producers a stronger position in word markets, and clear minimum and progressive criteria to ensure that the conditions for the production and trade of a product are socially and economically fair and environmentally responsible.

http://www.mylearning.org/jpage.asp?jpageid=2021&journeyid=441

The FAIRTRADE Mark on products guarantees that these standards have been met and producers and workers receive the extra Fairtrade premium to invest in projects to improve their lives such better access to education and healthcare and the provision of basic facilities such as safe water supplies and sanitation . It also means a closer link between consumers and producers,which is crucial as our worldgets more and more inter-dependent and we are becoming even more globally aware.

8. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Ironically, despite slavery being officially banned internationally and within every country in the world, there are probably more slaves today than ever in history. The terminology has just been changed (to 'paying debts' for example).

9. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Slavery will probably never be fully eliminated. It's sad but its true. The most disgusting slavery today is the sex slave trade that goes on through Asia, Philippians, Thailand and other plaves. Sweatshops are common place for companies like Nike and Reebok and when they are discovered they simply claim "we didn't know! we hired the cheapest person and we will switch immediately." Of course, when they switch that factory simply shuts down and the management either switches the name and reopens or simply moves on to a different place.

The sick thing is companies have to work with the cheapest bidder because they are legally obligated to be as profitable as possible, which means pay as little as possible for labor.

Today their is near slavery conditions again in the sugar trade in countries like Hiati and the Dominican Republic.

It's nearly impossible to not support this system if you live in a Western country, virtually everything supports it (including IT companies that provide internet).

10. Summer.Rain

How internet providing companies supporting it?...

11. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Though I don't doubt the sad reality of this, 27 million I feel is exaggerated. I think if it was 27 million known the damn FBI would do something about it.

12. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Its less than half a percent of the world total population. If anything it is under exagerated. More than half the world survives on less than a doller a day. Not much in the way of the Freedom that we know, and even then, some people consider ourselves slaves to our bosses.

13. Zurkhardo

Semantics plays a part as well. A lot of modern-day slaves aren't called or official known as such, nor are they slaves on the basis of race, as had been the case in the rest during the 16th to 19th century. As a result they're often invisible.

Most slaves, especially in Europe and Asia, tend to be people that are 'paying back' a debt through labor, debt they or even their departed ancestors owe. Others are officially free workers that are merely 'payed' with shelter or food, commodities that are usually squalid. And if you want to be more flexible in the terminology, as Issaccs noted, being payed close to nothing for back-breaking work is pretty much slavery.

Slavery remains, it is merely different conceptually and semantically.

14. Summer.Rain

I know a girl that works 9 hours + 3 hours for free every day
    she get 200$ a month for a really tough physical job.
    she is forced to work an additional 3 hours for free because her
    boss told her that she must clean and wash the work place every day after work
    which takes 3 more hourse, and she dont recive any payment for it.
    If se will not do it, her boss will fire her, i told her many times to change
    her job place, but she is too scared that she will not find any other job
    so she is still there, working for nothing.

15. GabrielConroy

GabrielConroy Well-Known Member

27,000,000/6,800,000,000=00.00397%
    1. I seriously doubt that that is the highest slave percentage ever. Under feudalism the vast majority of the population are essetially slaves and that system was used worldwide not too long ago.
    2. We're talking four thousandths of ONE percent. That's nothing. It's not even big enough to be a round off error.

I think it's terrible anyone is a slave but to call it an epidemic or rising problem with those kind of numbers is ridiculous.

16. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for my bullshit. I'll stop/.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2009
  17. Zurkhardo

Assuming you're talking to me (otherwise my bad), I never meant percentage-wise but in terms of absolute numbers. Thankfully, we've come at least that far! :p

18. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

27 million people is not a high number? What is 27 million people died? That number is more than double of those that died in the Holocaust... I think a few people would care.

Most of this is happening outside of the United States which is outside of the FBI's limits.

19. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Summer rain: where are you getting your statistics, esp.concerning the U.S.?
    I don't doubt that there is some sexual slave traffic and that we export child slavery in the form of manufacturers having sweat shops in other countries make some of our clothes. But the sex slave markest in Asia, Europe and some Far eastern societies certainly contribute a very high proportion to this. Also, whats your point? That we should start to clean it up? Agreed! What do you suggest?

20. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Of course there are slaves! Of course there are more slaves than ever before! People are domineering, and there are more people than ever before! More domineering guys with more little children to enslave = more slaves.

At least in North America and Europe, there are fewer slaves as a percentage of the population since the whole African slave trade was taken down a huge notch by the abolishment of slavery. That's good.

I'm sure there are plenty of gulag type places in China and other such countries and some people in back alley ways selling little girls to creepy old men. Will this ever go away? No. People can quite easily be arses. Can we impede it and free some of the slaves? Yes. There are specific departments of the police for this sort of thing in Canada, and I assume the US. They do free some people and help stop some of it.

Ultimately though, seeking to end it is futile. All you can realistically hope for is to reduce it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.