2010 Closes With Yet More Killer Climate Disasters

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Bob26003, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Climate change? Someting is going on........Here in Wheeling WV today it was in the fifties. I didnt even have to wear a coat in January!

2010 Closes With Yet More Killer Climate Disasters

As greenhouse pollution continues to build in the atmosphere, 2010 is entering the history books as the hottest year on record. A year of unprecedented extreme weather disasters, 2010 saw tens of thousands of people killed and millions affected by our increasingly dangerous climate. The year is ending with yet more climate disasters, from floods in Australia to winter tornadoes across America:

Parts of Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Missouri and Tennessee were on the lookout for more twisters after several touched down Friday — including one that killed three people in an Arkansas town. Two more people died in southern Missouri. Three people died in Cincinnati, a hamlet of about 100 residents about three miles from the Oklahoma border. An elderly couple died in their home, while a dairy farmer was killed while milking his cows.

The tornadoes are part of an “unusual” storm front fed by “warm, moist air in place over the region.” On the colder edge of the front, “the storm responsible for the deadly tornado is also bringing a dangerous winter storm to the West and Midwest,” with up to three feet of new snow from California to Idaho.

Meanwhile, Australia is being ravaged by unprecedented flooding, following tremendous rainfall for months, compounded by the Christmas Day landfall of Cyclone Tasha. Floods now cover an area “the size of France and Germany combined.” Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard announced millions of dollars of relief funding as she described the record-breaking floods:

Some communities are seeing floodwaters higher than they’ve seen in decades, and for some communities floodwaters have never reached these levels before [in] the time that we have been recording floods. For many communities we haven’t even seen the peak of the floodwaters yet, that’s a number of days away.

“Some sections of coastal Queensland received over four feet of rain from September through November,” meteorologist Jeff Masters reports. The floods, which have wiped out crops, drowned livestock, and disrupted the largest coal ports in the world, are expected to cause at least $1 billion in damage.

“The science is cooked,” Sen. Jim Inhofe (R-OK) told Politico today. Unfortunately, the cold facts of science are that the planet itself is cooking.

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/12/31/new-disasters-2010/

2. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Tell me about it! Lets hope that the Mayan calendar is correct and that in 2012 humanity ends so we don't have to kill ourselves lol.

let it be something painless, I dont do pain!

3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Lol those floods are pretty huge. It's mainly just the rural flat land that's getting flooded. Around my area there's a lot of hills, and I'm on the coastal side of the great dividing range so everything just heads towards all the creeks/into the Brisbane river.

Worst thing my families got to worry about is the water backing up in the gutter making it flood into the house :laugh:.

4. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about the floods. We have had our share of them this year so I can understand what your lovely country and people are feeling.

Australians are very tough people you will get through this adversity.

Take care

joao

5. happyville

happyville Well-Known Member

yeah no, i don't want to die and i'd rather not take my entire family with me if i do die. screw the mayan calendar.

but yeah, the weather is getting really freaky. i hope the sun doesn't explode for a long, long while.

6. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Theirs no need to hope, physics tell us the sun will outlive us and the entire human race.

7. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

logic ftw

8. happyville

happyville Well-Known Member

i was kidding. :) i'm really not worried about the world ending.

9. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

speaking of logic....... you know

even though there is a scientific consensus with 99 percent of climate scientists agreeing that anthropogenic global warming is real..... there are still those that will believe glenn beck or alex jones and the one or two scientists that work for exxon.

now that is beyond illogical

That is why America is becoming a laughing stock. That is why we are 62nd in math and science.

The same is true with the creationism crap and evolution..................

This conservative ideology in this country is very scary in it's anti-intellectualism and anti-science reactionary extremism.

Scientific opinion on climate change is given by synthesis reports, scientific bodies of national or international standing, and surveys of opinion among climate scientists. Individual scientists, universities, and laboratories contribute to the overall scientific opinion via their peer reviewed publications, and the areas of collective agreement and relative certainty are summarised in these high level reports and surveys. Self-selected lists of individuals' opinions, such as petitions, are not normally considered to be part of the scientific process.

National and international science academies and scientific societies have assessed the current scientific opinion, in particular on recent global warming. These assessments have largely followed or endorsed the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) position of January 2001 which states:
    An increasing body of observations gives a collective picture of a warming world and other changes in the climate system... There is new and stronger evidence that most of the warming observed over the last 50 years is attributable to human activities.[1]

No scientific body of national or international standing has maintained a dissenting opinion; the last was the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, which in 2007 updated its 1999 statement rejecting the likelihood of human influence on recent climate with its current non-committal position.[2][3] Some other organisations also hold non-committal positions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_opinion_on_climate_change

But no, lets listen to the one or two scientists on alex jones who work for exxon................. now how logical is that?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011
  10. Novae Rogue

Novae Rogue Member

In late 2009 I was just thinking how bad things have been. Boy was I wrong! Things clearly got a LOT worse!

2010 was a year Mother Nature went crazy. Hope she settles down soon.

And I hope this is not the end of the world. I am just starting to rebuild my life and find meaning in it. Will be very angry if I lose my life as soon as I have found a reason to live. Grrrr.

11. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

Global warming???? pffff, farce. Britain has had two of its worst ever winters in a row.

12. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Expecting a worse summer this year than last year (regularly 100+ degrees in Washington, D.C. where the normal average used to be 89-90 degrees).

13. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

And how was Summer?

14. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

there will always be two divergent opinions for any one subject. I have no doubt that humans are/have altered earths fragile balance but no one can tell you to what extent. Gaia is certainly moving to set the equilibrium.

Talking about illogical... dead fish of one species(silver/white) dead birds(black) snakes on the water (Australia) and 2012!!! I dont want to quote a certain book but...

Im keeping my mind open.

15. chjones21

chjones21 Well-Known Member

even though there is a scientific consensus with 99 percent of climate scientists agreeing that anthropogenic global warming is real..... there are still those that will believe glenn beck or alex jones and the one or two scientists that work for exxon.

And why shouldn't they?! I have a real problem with a dissenting point of view being dismissed just because it doesn't conform with the global diktat.

The overarching, govt line is that there is global warming. If you are a scientist and wish to look into options that support this theory woo-hoo you will be given money for research until it comes out of your ears... but try putting the opposite position, stony cold silence and not a five pence piece with yells of "flat-earthers" and all the rest.

Ugh! Both are valid opinions, both are worth researching. Why all the hysteria when someone suggests that global warming isn't a credible theory? What is this emotional irrationality that blows up at the thought, the hint --- going as far as to get scientists to lie and distort data (oh boy)...

I mean we might as well just go back to the days of Galileo ...! "You think the earth revolves around the sun??? When ALL the knowledgeable people of the day say it is the other way round, come this way Galileo and now, tell me, standing in front of this lovely instrument of torture... do you STILL think the earth revolves around the Sun?"

Always, always have to go with the consensus! Why is that so very important to everyone? Scientific enquiry is just that ... hypotheses should be considered and evaluated - not condemned in screaming hysteria because they don't fit the current popular trend of thought. Ugh.

There are a million different ways of interpreting this kind of fluctuating data, one theory at this point of time is about as valid as the opposing one.

16. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

As my uncle said in the car today:

17. jota1

jota1 Well-Known Member

I dont know whats wrong with this dam society where everything has to have consensus, im with you there. Nothing good comes out of consensus (with some exceptions), its only when you have discussion/debate and different opinions that things move.

Crazy people... Dreadful way of thinking

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.