Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by fromthatshow, Apr 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

2. Ants

Ants Well-Known Member

As bad as my life sucks... i ain't in any hurry to leave... Probably... Anyway...
    You might be right... they might be right... yea what the hell.. Who's hell? my hell. 2012 bring it on!
  3. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

No the Mayans never said the world was going to end. The end of their calendar signifies an end of a great cycle not necessarily the end of the world. Their theory was twisted into saying that it was the end of the world. I highly doubt the world will end on the exact date of December 21st, 2009.
  4. Jehuty

Jehuty Senior Member

Life on earth could end everyday basicly.
    Why bother being scared that it might will end on that date?
  5. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Jehuty: Best point on this subject in my opinion. As far as the Mayans and whether or not they predicted the end of the world, there have been many religious and cutural predictions about this that have come and passed. I also noticed the " We Build Shelters" add and a variety of T-shirts available at a cost, so one has to wonder about the validity and the purpose behind this site. Could it be "'TO MAKE MONEY?"
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The Mayans predicted nothing. Their calendar had 6 digits, 5 of them ranging from 1-20 and one from 1-18, recording the days from August 11, 3114 BC.

In 2012, it runs out of digits.

An extra digit on the end would make this last 200,000 years... But that digit would have remained 0 for every time it's written down since August 11, 3114 BC to 2012 AD. So for the first 5100 years of the calendar's existence, that digit is worthless. If the Maya were still around, they would add an extra digit.

Saying that the Maya said the world was going to end in 2012 would make about as much sense as saying that western culture predicts the world to end in 9999, when our calendar runs out of years.
  7. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

People can think what they want, but why worry about the future? In my opinion, worrying too much about the future means less time living in the present, and you miss lots of things by doing so.

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Not worried, excited :laugh:

I do believe in it but I'm not going to try to argue it or anything.
    There's evidence on that link, but it can be refuted so it's just a matter of intuition, what you think may or may not happen.
    I'm surprised no one said 'the next y2k' yet. I was sure that would be an argument against it.

The end of the world is just one of the theories. Many people also believe it will be a shift in consciousness, a heightened awareness, a paradigm shift, population reduction, the second coming of Christ, etc. etc.
  9. Brikka

Brikka Member

i hope it is the end...but why does it have to be 3 more years...why can't it be now?:dry:
  10. pileofgarbage

pileofgarbage Member

So it's just a Mayan Y2K problem. Better update all your Mayan computers.
  11. Mightbehere

Mightbehere Well-Known Member

I have no desire o see he world end, even if I do have trouble feeling sad knowing other people are enjoying themselves and are happy makes me happier. So no I don't want the world to end.
  12. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

The History Channel talks about this from time to time. Personally with the way my life is, I wouldnt mind if it happened.

However, for my kids sake, I certainly hope it doesnt.

Of couse my world ended with the wife left, but that's another story. :dry:
  13. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Not happening.
  14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I always just figured they got tired of working on their calendar.
  15. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

couldnt of summed it up better.

though at this rate it could very well end in 2012.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.