2018 World Cup

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Crue-K, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

So Russia are to host the 2018 world cup, pretty much against the odds and the fact that Vladamir Putin didn't travel to the ceremony. It must rub salt in the wounds of the England bid, they were odds on favourites backed by a strong delegation. It looks as if the corruption rumours (votes for cash) were true. As a German, I was hoping for England to win the bid so we could beat them on their own turf and finally put the spectre of 1966 to bed, they cling on to it so desperately. Unlucky England :poo:
  2. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I'm more concerned about how rife corruption and xenophobia is in Russia, and if that may create problems. Granted, South Africa had similar if not worse conditions and managed to pull if off rather well.
  3. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

I must admit, South Africa, Brazil, Russia, Qatar... I predict Afghanistan or Iran next as the leading criteria does seem to be coruption and liklihood to be a victim of violent crime.
  4. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I agree about the xenophobia, there is a strong right wing movement in Russia which enevitably attaches itself to some football fans. I travel to Russia several times each year and think they are going to have a massive job preparing for 2018. Air fare from the UK is incredibly expensive as is hotel rooms in Moscow and St Petersburg. I don't venture far out of these 2 cities but from what I have seen, the condition of the roads and tram/trolly service is very poor.
  5. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

You're right with respect to infrastructure. Moscow has some of the worst traffic and roads in the world, and they're currently stalled on trying to fix it. The government would likely have to emulate China's actions in the Olympics and get everything ready through authoritarian means.
  6. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

England were cheated, if not out of hosting at least out of a fair score. England had the best bid in every possible sense according to FIFA.

The FIFA members have united behind their corrupt brothers and done what they could to spite the english. They are guilty of what our media has said about them and they are ran by a corrupt man as well.

Our future king, our prime minister and probably the biggest celebrity footballer of all time went out there to tell FIFA not to be so stupid as to get bitter at free speech. They were left embarassed.

The two things that get right on my wick are

1. Sepp Blatter made a speech before they all voted in which he told all the members not to forget what the media had said. He pretty much told everyone not to vote for england.
    2. Holland/Belgium bid received 4 votes in the first round thus knocking england out, but then they somehow only got 2 votes in the second round!!! That shows how bitter and corrupt they are.

I dont think anyone can have too many quarms about Russia winning but we werent even given a chance. There are a lot of risks with picking Russia but after south africa fifa have clearly become all about the novelty world cups. Russia have to build 12 new stadiums, new airports, new railways, new hotels, I guess that will be great for the country in the long run, all at the expense of the tax payer though.
  7. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

My question would be with all the preparation that will be needed to be done can Russia even afford to host the world cup without going bankrupt????
  8. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

An oil rich country they will be fine hosting a world cup
  9. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Russia deserves their 1st WC more than England deserves their 2nd.

Holland deserved it most, in footballing terms at least. Such a powerhouse in football with 0 world cup hosts. Financial implications, and lack of stadiums I guess? Holland/Belgium would have won if they had venues and money.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.