24 and becoming depressed. again.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by lachrymose, Sep 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachrymose

lachrymose Account Closed

reading what others are feeling, usually the same as i do, makes me feel a little better somehow. i am 24 and have very little working experience. very little. been applying for retail jobs like toysrus, bestbuy, gamestop. but i've not a call back. i thought it'd be easy to find some work in big chains like these. i have not worked for 2-4 years. last job i did was courier service and it was only for about 2months (because i made an excuse about traveling abroad just to quit.) I will be graduating this semester with a bachelor in graphic design and its not going too well for me. i don't have the best portfolio and i haven't had any internships in this field. i'm still living with and off my mother and all my friends have jobs. so i often feel like a loser. i dont have any of my own income at all. and i think of suicide again but i will never do it.
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Welcome to SF. I was first diagnosed with depression at age 15 and I'm 52 now.

Finding a job is a numbers game. We submit a lot of applications for the chance to get one yes answer. It can be maddening and it messes with the way a person feels about themselves.

The condition of the economy is against everyone right now and it is hard for everyone right now.

You have friends that are working. Network with them because they know you, they can give you reference. You have that wonderful degree that is 50% of your battle. If you can live with your mom awhile longer can you do an unpaid internship to get your foot through the door?

The big box places won't always hire a college graduate. You may want to apply for a part time position with them which works better for a person needing work till they take their next step in life.

Keep at it and keep posting here. :)
  3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Job searching can be such a difficult thing for a person emotionally. You may begin to feel worthless as application after application is rejected. With each time you don't get hired, the fear of trying again and being rejected increases. Soon, instead of going in with the confidence that you are the best candidate for the job, you doubt yourself and this shows through. It is a catch 22 situation at best. Remember that with jobs so tight in our current economic state, to keep trying and never give up. So many apply for each position. Your turn will come.
  4. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Can you find somewhere like an ALF (adult living facility) to do volunteer work?? It will give you somewhere you can put down as a reference..There are many places you can find this sort of work..It will also keep your mind active so you aren't putting yourself down..Keep posting here maybe you can get ideas from more members..I wish you all the best..
  5. lachrymose

lachrymose Account Closed

thank you all for the replies. they are encouraging. yet, focusing on graphic work makes me feel a little better than not doing anything (ex. video games). but having reapplied to the same store several times drives me mad. job applications... they ask ridiculous questions and ask them repeatedly just to trick you. i really hate filling out 13 pages of nonsense questionairres and i just wish people would see me for an interview instead of judging me by whats on the paper. is there a trick to answering these questionnaires? i always answer what they think would be a good candidate. and for the work, i usually check off long-term or full-time. i never put myself as wanting to work part-time. is that a better option if i just want to get hired?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.