30 days, no food, help

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by man, May 16, 2008.

1. man

man Well-Known Member

hey guys,
    I'm planing on doing a 30 day fast, not to lose weight, I'm not over weight (155 at 5' 9'') but because I just want to see what its like, what should I expect? Anyone done it before? How can I prevent muscle loss during fast? (I don't want to dissapear ha ha)

My plan is to do a 30 day fast of water and mabye some juice only, any coments or sugestions are welcome.

2. aurorita_1788

aurorita_1788 Well-Known Member

Actually, I've heard that a human being can only survive 8 days without food.:unsure: I wouldn't do that. If you really want to do that you should try eating less, but keep eating. don't stop eating. And If you need anything I'm here to help.:smile:

3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's not going to work unless you drink LOTS of protein shakes. Otherwise your muscles will atrophy and you will end up being a human scarecrow, if you even live through it that is.

4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

I would not recommend it.

5. man

man Well-Known Member

Deaf, so good to see you again, I didnt want to disturb you when I came back, it's been some time since we last spoke.

Considering my post I probably look totaly insaine, what I meant was I would allow myself to drink water during the 30 days, humans can live around 60 days with water but no food. Even so I probably look stupid, why would anyone want to starve themself. I just want to feel half of what so many around the world feel. Starvation, I want to see what its like. I know if I was reading this post I would tell myself to stop and not do it. But, I have been doing some reaserch and think I can make it. I plan to start in June and go for the whole month, I will keep you guys posted, if things do go badly I will abort. Hey maybe it will save someone the trouble of doing something stupid if they read this and it goes wrong.

Can't wait to talk to you in chat deaf I can only do posts for now, but I'm working on it.

See you all around.

6. bb564

bb564 Guest

8 days without water. Anything from 50 up to 130 days with just water, according to some sources.

7. man

man Well-Known Member

Anyone ever done this before? Or something similar? Let me know how it went.

8. protonaut

protonaut Well-Known Member

I've done this before - largely for the reason you mentioned (wanting to understand how hunger/ poverty feels, at least to some degree) and it was intended as a spiritual experience.

I only went for a week without food, though I drank water and took a daily vitamin tablet. This was not a fun experience, as you can imagine. While I did get used to the empty feeling after awhile, around the fifth day I could feel and hear my body dying. It becomes difficult to sleep as well. It's hard to explain, but my pulse, nervous system, blood, everything seemed magnified, the sounds my stomach made were actually painful - it was like a voice crying for help, that was the worst part, my body asking "why are you doing this to me?". The psychological element is more intense than the physical, at least in that short time frame.

I've also done a week without sleep on several occasions. I didn't find that to be as difficult as the fasting though, as I've been a natural insomniac on and off for quite some time.

I'd recommend trying a week first. If that goes well, you can always attempt a month later on. It's in your best interest to speak with a doctor before doing this, get checked out to make sure you're healthy enough, receive some advice from a professional, etc. On the days leading up to your fast, it would be wise to stock up on a lot of carbs and healthy foods in general, get your system energized.

While you're fasting, I also recommend setting aside at least an hour each day towards meditation. I followed these exercises with writing prose and poetry, but any form of art would suffice - painting, acoustic guitar, etc. these are all interesting activities to pursue under the states of high sensitivity present during fasts. Focusing on your creative energy may also help your mind get off the hunger pains. Physiologically, less of your energy is being spent on digestion during this period, so more is potentially available for creative outlets.

Stay in a cool and well ventilated environment as much as possible. Take note of the color of your urine daily. It should be clear if you're drinking enough water.. of course you don't want to go overboard with the fluids either. If you experience serious dizziness, drowsiness, or some other unexpected symptoms during the fast, it would be a good idea to put the fast on hiatus until a doctor addresses the situation.

Pain can be a positive learning tool. Good luck, enjoy your fast, and give us an update on your situation when you can.

Last edited by a moderator: May 17, 2008
  9. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

10. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Jesus went 40 and he said it blew.

11. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I have done 15 days juice fast!!! If you do a search for juice feasting you will find heaps of stuff about it. After 3 days I didn't really feel hungry anymore.

12. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

I heard stories of people going 2-3 weeks with no food, however your body will basically survive by eating it's self... you will lose weight fast, but you'll also lose most of you muscle mass. It's aslo very dangourus.

To repair the damamge you've done to your body, will proably take as long as losing the weight proaperly... so If I were you I'd do that.

13. Tnecniv

Tnecniv Well-Known Member

it takes twise the time actually...