31 and never been high or drunk...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Dave_N, Jul 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I'm 31 now and I've never been high or drunk. I have tried a few puffs of marijuana and have drank alcohol before, but never to excess. Is that pathetic or admirable?
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Neither really, that's just who you are, and you're not into that, and there's nothing wrong with that. :)
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I think it's admirable..and ok!
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Thanks. :) Getting plastered just never really appealed to me.
  5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I don't know what people see in it either Dave...
    how much fun can it be if you don't remember the next day what you did while under the influence and then suffer the ill effects of it as well..!
  6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Yeah, the thought of having a hangover, puking my guts out or alcohol poisoning never really appealed to me. That just isn't my idea of fun. Plus, owning guns and getting drunk is a bad combination.
  7. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

only gotta look on YouTube and the daily news at the insane things drunks do endangering their own and other peoples lives to turn me off drinking..
    we have a campaign here about stopping smoking and I reckon there should be a campaign about stopping the alcohol too..
    so many deaths here in this country with those inebriated people hurting and killing others.
    of course the government won't do much because they would miss out on the taxes..
  8. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Umm, Prohibition? The American government actually tried to make alcohol illegal at one point, it didn't work. Not everyone drinks just to get plastered either, lots of people drink in moderation and just get a buzz to take the edge off in their life. I'm personally high nearly every second of my life because the feeling I get is simply a feeling of energy, it makes me feel less dead and makes me feel like I can pick myself up and do what I need to do. I'd venture to say that perhaps a campaign about stopping alcohol wouldn't be quite as effective as a campaign that teaches people how to drink intelligently.
  9. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I think its very admirable. Unfortunately, its a real damn shame that especially here in Western societies, you aren't "cool" if you don't indulge in these substances. Really makes me want to shake my head hard. :(
  10. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I don't drink to be "cool". I don't drink and drive, or get drunk and play with guns... haven't had alcohol poisoning since I was young and dumb, I remember at least 95% of what I do when I'm under the influence, and I don't usually get hangovers. I use alcohol (and previously drugs) as a way to self medicate for my depression. Is it destructive? Absolutely. HOWEVER... I for one can say that drugs and alcohol saved my life at a time when nothing else made me feel better. They were my only friends when no one else was there for me. Ironically, they kept me from doing stupid things that I might have otherwise done. Right now, alcohol is the only real pleasure I have in life, as sad as that is.

I'm not telling you that you should do drugs or alcohol... I think it's great that you are able to cope without it. I just think that some people have the wrong ideas about people who turn to addiction. There is absolutely nothing "cool" about living a life that is so empty that it can only be filled with booze; there is nothing "cool" about feeling pain that can only be dulled with drugs; there is nothing "cool" about living a life so uneventful and meaningless that the only time you feel alive is when you're intoxicated.

I would never say that somebody was pathetic for being clean and sober. But it seems that few people have a problem judging those of us who don't have anything else to turn to. Fine. So I'm pathetic. I already knew that. In fact, it's one of the reasons I drink. To forget how utterly pathetic my life is. When I say "forget", I don't mean I actually forget. Unfortunately, I'm never able to forget. But at least the alcohol takes my mind off of it for a while. A short reprieve from an otherwise vacant life.
  11. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

I think what Rahul meant by 'cool' was that with many younger people, they consider it 'cool' to go out, get drunk and party all night at clubs etc. and if you don't then you're not 'cool.' I don't go to clubs much anymore and even when I do, I may have one drink max, since I usually am the driver. But by 1 am, practically everyone is drunk off their asses. Not exactly my idea of a good time.

I don't judge no one for using drugs or alcohol as a coping strategy, as long as you don't drink and drive, which you've already said that you don't. It's better to have a few drinks and be able to cope with life, then not having any coping strategies.
  12. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I can make a very huge and long post about why it's admirable that you are not really into either of those scenes. The main point, if I ever made such a post, would describe how all they do is take away from the person who could be present. All I have ever seen alcohol do to people, even ones who think they can take it and who have done it for years, is basically take away their self control and make their emotions run high. Other people, of course, end up getting hurt in the crossfire of such a circumstance.

As for drugs, all I have heard or seen of it, even with mild drug use, is that people basically dumb themselves down. They become this person who can barely make a conversation, or who has trouble even remember what it was they were trying to say. It's a really hard kind of situation to deal with, even if done for "fun", it's not so fun if only one person is doing it, and the other is not. It's not fun to have to try and have a serious conversation with someone who clearly is out of it, or who no longer has the capacity to understand or comprehend.

I do not think it's admirable at all for people to falsely try to achieve contentment and peace through substance abuse, whether that is through alcohol or drugs, or whatever other kind of means people can think of these days. It's false hope, it's temporary crap.

People sit there and take that and lie to themselves that they will feel better. Well you felt better, but magically you need more and more and more? But at whose expense?

On and from a hygienic perspective, both of those habits REEK! As in they stink SO DAMN BAD! I smell a skunk, and then realize it's not a damn skunk... it's an actual person!

Alcohol breath too, boy does it ever reek! Makes it pretty much impossible to talk to someone, because their breath is horrid, and their body doesn't smell any better either.

Just disgusting from that standpoint as well. Like look I am a grown adult who can take care of myself, yet I want to stink like shit!!!!

Oh and pretty much everywhere I look in real life, that's all people want to spend their free time doing. They don't want to really do anything meaningful, they just want to forget, and feel good etc etc etc... Not saying that "feeling good" is not meaningful, but I cannot imagine how falling over because one is so drunk, or arguing with everyone around them because they are so drunk, or anything that could follow related to using a substance is really a "feel good" kind of thing.

Also, people who use substances may tend to be sexually out there more than they otherwise would be? Or maybe they want that to happen, who knows. So imagine kissing someone whose breath is just so rank? I am still trying to figure that one out...

In any case it's like nobody wants to be themselves. Nobody wants to be real.

I feel like I am being asked to know the substance, instead of the person. Thus, I don't bother with people any more, and right now, actually am not speaking to family members because of someone's damn problematic attitude they gain with the alcohol. I am personally tired of only being allowed to know people under such conditions. I am sick of it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  13. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Maybe people would prefer it if I committed suicide. My "problematic" attitude was here before the alcohol. Maybe if you spent years of your life having the shit beat out of you and being picked on by everyone you went to school with, then maybe you would understand. But I guess I'm just a lost cause. I don't want to be "myself" because nobody likes me for me, and because being myself feels like shit. I came to a fucking suicide forum because I wanted to die. That is not the alcohol talking... that is me being "real". I hate my life. I hate myself. So alcohol helps me cope, and that makes me a fucking loser. Fine. Then I'm a fucking loser, and I should just kill myself, because I will never be anything but a fucking loser.
  14. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Sorry you feel this way, but sometimes people just need a way to cope. They don't really think about the consequences, they just want to feel better.
  15. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

Even without the alcohol or drugs I still can't control myself or my emotions because my anxieties tear me up all the time. I'm already a complete dumbass, the drugs can't really dumb me down anymore, I mean I already fuck up everything I do. I smell terrible even without the drugs or alcohol, even when I actually give a shit about my apperance, I have a medical condition where I litterally just smell terrible all the time and I can't control it. What could I possibly do with my life that has any meaning? All I do is fuck up everything I try to do. I don't wanna be me, because who I am is just a complete fuck up who really should just give up this little charade and kill myself. I figure all the downsides don't mean shit because I've already got so many problems. I don't really care if it kills me, in fact the sooner it all kills me the better. Why would I even want to be myself? I mean, it's not like some fuck up loser like me is ever gonna do anything worthwhile with their life anyways, so why not get high or drunk and just forget about it all and stop feeling this overwhelming urge to just die? Most of the time my anxeities make me wanna kill myself and I can barely stop myself most times. It may make me a worthless piece of shit, an inebriate smelly loser bitch with no future, who nobody will ever want to be around who just needs to die already but at least this shit gives me a chance to keep going and actually try to do something with my life. Everything in my life is false hope, always has been. At least I have hope though. If having even temporary hope that I can turn my life around is really such a terrible thing, then I guess that's another reason I'm a terrible person. I just hope you can at least realize that people sometimes need coping methods to get them through, and sometimes substances are the only thing they can really turn to because they litterally have nothing else. Perhaps those family members who have alcohol problems have a real reason why they are drinking and maybe they just need a bit of help to change things? I admit I don't know the situation but it's plausible. Sure, the addiction creates a whole new set of problems, but sometimes the addiction and ill effects are still much easier to deal with than what's actually going on in one's life.
  16. Samara

Samara Account Closed

I like how the people who drink get on the defensive as if I personally picked them out and commented on their lives directly. The OP asked for an opinion, I definitely gave mine. So people are sorry I feel that way? Nobody is sorry people feel the way they do above either?

I'm not even going to bother with this thread any more. Way out of my league. Sorry I even bothered going against the grain, like I said, everywhere I look pretty much everyone I know or see is doing it. It's just me who has the problem with it.

Everyone else seems to enjoy it, need it, love it etc..
  17. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

I, for one, love getting trollied every once in awhile. :yay: not too often though, takes the fun out of it. Each to their own!
  18. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Admirable, didn't you have a little high off the cannabis or alcohol?

I've been teetotal for 11 years, I'm so glad I kicked those habits, I still smoke cigarettes though. :(

Life is all the better when experienced sober!
  19. gloomy

gloomy Account Closed

I haven't done any hard drugs in my life. I did mushrooms for the last time in the late 90s... and I haven't had LSD since high school. The last time I smoked weed was a one-off in 2008, and before that the last time was probably around 2003/04... I sort of tapered off when I lost all of my friends, and now I couldn't get it if I tried. Out of all of the things I've given up, I actually miss weed the most...

In terms of 'dumbing yourself down'-- that's just completely wrong. I knew people who used to smoke before exams and walked out with 95% averages. It's mostly a mood enhancer, I think-- if you're feeling dumb before you do it, you'll get even dumber... if you're feeling focused, then you'll feel even more focused.

I also quit smoking in November and since then I think I've had maybe four beers total. I don't even drink coffee... but I do like chocolate. I've never really had an addictive personality and even with smoking I always managed to quit... and now I just go running or do pushups or something.

I don't think there's anything admirable about doing drugs, but unless you have a problem I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with it either. The worst, most destructive drugs are already legal... and to be honest, I think that everyone should try hallucinogenics at least once. Most of the people I've met who have dabbled have been more interesting than those who haven't... and I consider my LSD experiences to be some of the best of my life, and that includes a lot of travel experiences as well.

Maybe if I had ever gotten to the point where I had a real problem, I would have a different perspective.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  20. Incurious

Incurious Well-Known Member

It's upsetting when you meet people who's only way of coping with what they've been through is to try and block it out with drink. I've met someone recently in this situation and it's heartbreaking to be honest.

It's easy to criticise people for their ways of dealing with things, but it really isn't fair. It's very ignorant to say such things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.