????

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shauna Lea, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

This is really nothing to do with my depression or anything but I'm really unsure what to do or how to act :blink:

I have been at my current job for a little over a year and a little while ago I started to get bored of it so I have started to apply for some other jobs. My boss has mentioned giving me a promotion on several occasions but she is kind of creating a new position for me so it will take some time to get organised. Anyway, today I got a phone call telling me that I got an interview for one of the jobs I applied for. It's an admin. job at the local hospital in the Women's and Children's Health department. Now, the job itself will not be much more responsibility than my current role but I have good reasons for going for it. The main one being that I am studying psychology and in the long run I would like to work at the Crisis Team at the hospital so getting my foot in the door is always a good thing. Also, I would be on about $10,000 more a year than I am in my current job. It's also a bigger company than mine so there is far more opportunity.

I have to take 2 written referee reports to the interview which is on Monday and I asked my supervisor to write one and she said that's fine. Then i told my boss about the interview and asked her to write one and she said she doesn't want to lose me so offered me a possible promotion and pay rise. I explained the reasons why I want the new job and she was obviously not happy. Next minute, I get an email from my supervisor saying that my boss told her not to write the referee report for me because she doesn't want to lose me as a staff member. So they are both refusing to write them for me just because they don't want me to leave. It's so selfish and I'm really angry about it. I never expected this from them because they are both usually really lovely people and I always thought they would want what's best for me.

I think I might wait until tomorrow, maybe they just need some time to process the news and hopefully they will come around. Otherwise I'm going to walk into the interview with no referee reports (even though I already assured them I would have two) and embarass myself! I can't believe how chidish and unfair they are being! :sad: I'm bad at standing up for myself in these situations but I feel I have to do something. How dare they try to dampen my future!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2008
  2. Fishman

Fishman Guest

ahh capitalism.

3. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

THat does seem very selfish and unfair of them. I'd go to the interview and tell the interviewer exactly why you don't have two letters of reference. That may help your position in an odd way: being so valued at your current job that they will do anything to keep you. try it. Good luck to you.

4. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

Almost positive it is illegal to refuse referencing in order to prevent you from leaving your current job. You should report your boss to their boss (if they have one) or to the labour boards. Your boss cannot purposely do anything to prevent you from getting another job. So while your boss doesn't have to give you a reference, they can't tell your supervisor not to give you one. So you should be able to get at least the one from you supervisor.

Good luck.

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

It is neither illegal nor uncustomary for some employers to refuse to complete anything other than times worked and work rating...is there a co-woker who would give you a reference? is there someone affiliated with your job that knows your work performance? when I am asked to provide a professional reference, i do so with an open heart, but I insist on an exit interview so that I can improve the work environment...best of luck, and wish I knew you so i could provide the reference...big hugs, J

6. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

Thanks for all your help guys!

I have spoken to my supervisor and she has agreed to write the reference for me :smile: ....so it's one down and one to go! I can't really ask anyone else to write me one because i have already written their names on my application so ideally, I should get the reports from them.

I'm kind of relieved now because at least I have one and I can always suggest to the interviewing pannel that I can get a report from another colleague or a character reference off a long time friend.

Like least said though, maybe the fact that they wont write me one because they want me to stay is the best kind of reference! I'll let you know how I go!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.