Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Viper, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viper

Viper Well-Known Member

It's the day of healing :)
  2. LaLaLullaby

LaLaLullaby Well-Known Member

Tell me how.
  3. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Happy 4/20 y'all :)
  4. LaLaLullaby

LaLaLullaby Well-Known Member

Whoops. I just remembered the other association for it.
    Sorry. I've been bombarded by school shooting memorials today, so I didn't think of the other one.
  5. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

6. ~Nobody~

~Nobody~ Well-Known Member

I'm confused. (As ever! :tongue:)

Anyone want to enlighten me?
  7. Esmeralda

National marijuana day :)
  8. crzykidshanana

crzykidshanana Well-Known Member

You mean the National day of attempting to escape...

Yeah...what a great thing to celebrate.
  9. ~Nobody~

Really? :laugh:

That National as in 'in the US'? 'Cause I hadn't heard of it!! :eek:hmy:

Ha, will just have to make up for it soon :rolleyes:.
  10. Esmeralda

The origins are unclear, but it apparently started out because people get together to smoke pot at 4:20 pm, and now the date 4/20 is a day where pot smokers get together to try and reform the marijuana laws. Sometimes in the U.S. they all get together on the White House lawn and spark up. It's pretty funny, because there are too many people doing it to arrest :tongue:
  11. crzykidshanana

crzykidshanana Well-Known Member

All I can think of when I hear that is:

How scary would it be to be STONED with a bazillion cops around?
  12. Esmeralda

13. ~Nobody~

I think it's an awesome idea :biggrin:.

I personally am at my least paranoid when stoned. :blink: :smile:
  14. Esmeralda

I just love the idea of people converging on the Whitehouse lawn and getting stoned with no-one being able to stop you :) Besides, alcohol is so much more harmful than pot ever was.
  15. Syd

Syd Guest

I attended a "smoke out" in DC some years ago.. I think I was 18 at the time. It was held during July 4th, and there was a set aside area in the grass, near the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and Korean War Veterans memorial, I believe.

While there were police and hospital volunteers around, they were standing outside the roped-in grass areas (which were pretty huge fields) so it's not like they were standing there lighting your joint for you. ;P They were there to maintain peace and order (which was somewhat silly, as if a bunch of hippies are going to start fighting)

There are usually many groups of people visiting, tourists, and huge crowds all over the district on that day, so the smokers were just one group among many. Most of the police were after drunkards, as they tend to be much more rowdy and violent than smokers. There were a lot of food vendors, as would be expected. I don't doubt that some of them sold out all their goods before the day was through.

There were art shows, poetry readings, and music events for those of you (like myself) who enjoy them.

You can still be arrested for marijuana distribution though. They don't mind if people bring a small amount of weed for use amongst friends, but if some dealer is handing out ziploc bags of hashish, yes - the police will arrest the dealer if they catch him or her. ;P

Overall, it was an enjoyable experience, the people there were very friendly, and there was relatively little paranoia, since the police were also there to have a good time and keep people safe. I haven't smoked in at least 3 years (kinda outgrew it..) though I recommend the trip for anyone interested, but suggest going with a few friends, only because it's easy to get lost in the huge crowds.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  16. SmilePretty

SmilePretty Staff Alumni

i thought that it had something to do with bob marley......
    my whole school celebrated, and you could smell it in the hallways
  17. on my own

on my own Well-Known Member

here cops just pull everybody over all day

HOT~DAWG~MAMA Active Member

Actually the real origins of 420 come from the "old" farmers almanac (they no longer really mention it tho), and was known as the right time of the season to plant certain crops which would be just in time with the fall harvest.

April 20th falls one month after March 19th which is known as the first day of spring..when the vernal equinox takes place, which is when the sun rises exactly due east and sets exactly due west, giving equal amounts of sunlight and night. Although when 420 rolls around when the sun rises and sets a little more north as it moves along the horizon with the summer solstice approaching in June.
    A quick 5 min video on the vernal quinox here with some other cool facts: http://www.miamisci.org:8080/ramgen/stargazer/SG0712.rm?usehostname

This is obviously before this industrial revolution came to be where we don't really need to depend on those critical farming dates or the daylight savings time for example to plant our crops at the proper time. Now with plant foods, greenhouses, machinery and etc. Life has become easier for the farmers in that sense, and we farm all year round despite seasons! :)
    So 420 was then adopted by cannabis farmers by the 60's-70's and obviously was also adopted by cannabis smokers too! And as more and more potheads passed the 420 tradition on, the origin has basically been forgotten..and more so because it originally had nothing to do with cannabis....at first. But I think I like the new meaning for it anyhow. ;)

Either way, I celebrate 420 in the usual "Happy 420!! Hope You Have Plenty of Happiness and Herb to delight in!" and of course, I enjoyed a phat blunt in honor and celebration of this wonderful date of the year! hehe! :biggrin:
  19. Esmeralda

Very interesting! Thanls for the info!
  20. My mom said she'd rather have me smoke pot than drink.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.