5 htp?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by J_Oli3, Oct 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_Oli3

J_Oli3 Well-Known Member

Has anyone got any knowledge of the medication 5 htp? Did it help you? Side effects?

I'm considering trying them.
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I have never heard of it. Is there another name for it?
  3. J_Oli3

J_Oli3 Well-Known Member

4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

This is a supplement rather than a medication. I have no experience with it so I cannot give you information on it. I do know that you need to consult with your doctor before you take it because if you are taking a medication that works with serotonin it can cause problems.
  5. Blue_Star

Blue_Star Member

I had tried 5 HTP for a handful of months... don't know if that was long enough to give it a fair trial. The good news with it was that I experienced no side effects from it at all, however it didn't work for me & I had no help from it. I know it has helped others to varying degrees.

I do remember, though, that I had to be careful about when I took it & how much due to my other medications - the dosing/timing of the doses was very specific, checked with both my psychiatrist and someone knowledgeable in alternative meds to figure it out. If you haven't seen them yet, here's a couple links that may help in terms of medicine interactions or side effects & general information...

6. mindwar

mindwar New Member

Be careful with this. Talk to a doctor before you take it. I took it a few times and had a a hypomanic episode from it.
  7. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Ooh, I've gotta admit that looks kinda dodgy.
  8. J_Oli3

J_Oli3 Well-Known Member

I'm going out later, for the first time in weeks, and am gonna have a try of these. Whatever excites my life is no bad IMO
  9. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Tried it. Didn't work.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.