50% of marriages end in divorce?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by DAYSandDOOM, Jan 15, 2014.

1. DAYSandDOOM

DAYSandDOOM New Member

Am I the only one who thinks this number is actually quite low? Nearly every (ever) married person I know has been divorced at least once. The ones that are still together are unhappy and ready to leave at any moment. So to hear that 1 in 2 (some say even more) marriages will last -forever, sounds too odd to me. Never expected it. So there is hope for the happily ever after wannabe princesses!

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

always hope hun always

3. demuredawn

demuredawn Well-Known Member

4. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

You can bet most women divorce husbands that are jerks. And vice versa. I can't blame them for that. I bet if more women were willing to marry nice guys there wouldn't be so many divorces. Same thing if more men were willing to date nice girls.

5. demuredawn

problem is, the jerks don't always show themselves to be jerks right away...

6. mbczion

mbczion Well-Known Member

I just went through a divorce myself and I kept telling myself, "you are not alone, about 50% of marriages end in divorce, millions upon millions of people the world over are going through the same thing I am going through, etc.". Of course, when it is YOU going through it, statistics are never comforting.

If I do become bold enough to put myself out there again and meet somebody I feel like I am ready to be with for the rest of my life, I hope "third time is charm" does NOT apply for me. I sure as heck couldn't handle another divorce :(

7. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

True but the ones who think jerks make good spouses or parents are pretty much asking for a divorce.

8. demuredawn

if someone doesn't know the person they are with is a jerk b4 they get married.... how are they asking for the divorce? sorry but that sentiment pretty well comes off as "domestic abuse victims ask for it b/c after all, they stay with their abuser.... idiots" and i have a real problem w/ that statement i just said yours came off as

9. Ldub20

Ldub20 Well-Known Member

I think you misinterpreted my post and I apologize for that. I said that if you know somebody is a jerk but date them anyway you are asking for divorce. If you don't know they are jerks before you marry them it ain't your fault.

10. demuredawn

ok.... but you need to understand, many times its easier to see someone is a jerk if/when you are not in love with them.... so if someone has a crush on someone else after meeting them one time... it clouds the person's judgement