50 self care ideas for a lockdown

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I came across this on google, so I thought I would share as it has some really great ideas! I really hope it helps some of you who are struggling or need motivation.

https://mymind.org/50-ways-to-do-self-care-the-right-way-during

Let's face it- lockdown hasn’t been the kindest to most people. For many, anxiety is high and you may have slipped out of your old healthy routines and self care habits. Being truly healthy isn’t just about eating all the right things and spending half your life in the gym. Emotional, mental, and social health is all a vital part of true holistic wellness too. This is why spending time exercising your self care muscles is just as important as exercising your real ones, perhaps even more important!

If you’re the kind of person who always puts yourself last, especially when the list of things is a mile long, that means you are not only neglecting yourself, but you’re also neglecting everyone who relies on you. It may not be apparent in the moment if, for example, you make your child a healthy breakfast but decide to skip breakfast or pick up something greasy and unhealthy from the deli for yourself. However, in the long run, if you keep pouring from an empty cup, eventually there’s going to be nothing left to pour for anyone else. This is why looking after yourself before you can look after others is so important.

So practically, how do you go about including self care in your daily routine? For some, making it part of your to-do list may be your best bet, especially for those with very busy lives. When you get up in the morning, make a to-do list. Alongside things like “clean the kitchen” and “take out the rubbish”, slot in one or more self care tasks. Everyday. They are just as non-negotiable as getting the dishes done or cooking dinner. Below is a list of self care ideas to take inspiration from during lockdown, but consider creating your own list to check off daily. Enjoy!
  1. Give yourself a pedicure or a manicure.
  2. Read a book or magazine for an hour.
  3. Sit on the front porch. Just. Sit.
  4. Take a bubble bath—complete with candles and calming music.
  5. Pick or buy a bouquet of fresh flowers.
  6. Take a leisurely walk without a goal.
  7. Put on a homemade face mask (not the type you wear to the supermarket!).
  8. Give yourself permission to binge watch your latest show obsession without guilt.
  9. Take a nap.
  10. Order a takeaway.
  11. Do something crafty: coloring, knitting, sewing..
  12. Order yourself a new book to read.
  13. Watch funny YouTube videos.
  14. Sit in the grass and watch the clouds float by.
  15. Look at the stars.
  16. Have a dance party to your favorite music.
  17. Take a mental health day—and feel not an ounce of guilt about it.
  18. Burn a candle or diffuse some oils that have scents that bring you joy.
  19. Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee just how you like it.
  20. Take a selfie and post it.
  21. Try out a new hobby.
  22. Do yoga.
  23. Cook breakfast for yourself before anyone else.
  24. Sing at the top of your lungs. Preferably in the car and with the windows down.
  25. Go for a drive alone.
  26. Close yourself in a room and listen to the latest episode of your favorite podcast.
  27. Have a 20 minute stretching session.
  28. Call a family member for a catch up.
  29. Do some journaling.
  30. Plan out an extravagant vacation just for fun.
  31. Wear an outfit that makes you feel great. Even if you have no reason to (You ARE the reason!).
  32. Declutter a spot in your house that’s been bugging you.
  33. Write a list of “annoying tasks” that have been weighing on you and knock them out in an hour.
  34. Bake a dessert you love. And then eat it.
  35. Watch the sun rise or set. Don’t take any pictures or post about it on social media. Just watch.
  36. Have a picnic (by yourself even).
  37. Go to bed early or sleep in late.
  38. Research something that you’ve been interested in but haven’t had the time to dive into.
  39. Edit who you follow on social media (if they don’t bring you joy, they gotta go—no matter how nice, inspiring, or cool they are).
  40. Check out online museums: art, childrens’, history, science—whatever brings you joy that day!
  41. Reward yourself with a drink, remembering not to overdo it!
  42. Buy a fun treat for yourself when you go shopping.
  43. Plan a zoom call with your besties.
  44. Spend time out in the garden.
  45. Take the time to do your hair and makeup, for no other reason than it makes you feel put together.
  46. Write a list of 10 things you’re grateful for and why.
  47. Make yourself a batch of infused water to sip on.
  48. Write a letter (or an email) to an old friend.
  49. Cook a fancy meal for no other reason than you deserve a fancy meal.
  50. Say “no” to someone.

HappyKitty

Works during the day, doodles at night.
nice nice nice! kitty has one.

Kitty finds it fun to do group zoom call and watch movie together or do lots of activities tgt with zoom😺

During quarantine, while cooped up in the house all the time, we kinda forgot how important is to treat ourselves right. I love spoiling myself, but I couldn’t help but think about my grandma. She is in her 80s and I think the pandemic was more stressful for elderly people than anyone else. So I searched for home care assistance near her area. After some research, I reached out to a nice center that even offered personalized programs for every senior. We booked them right away!

Bablos

Perhaps half of the items on this list are good for me. I mean, some things are getting too mundane. For example, a workout or a sip of water has long been inscribed in the regimen. I will have to try more to find yourself a new reason for joy. But I think I can handle it.

Bablos

This is true. Sometimes you have to invent unexpected ways to rejoice. I recently realized that I want to help other people. I like that I can please someone with my actions. Especially if these people are very weak and vulnerable. I have to take on the role of a stronger person. It becomes my duty, I must set a good example for others. Therefore, I signed up for medical assistance courses

Last edited by a moderator:
I love this idea. However, what I did in lockdown was to hire a live-in carer. You might ask why? I fell in the winter. I slipped on ice and fell down in the middle o the street. I was practically hit by a car because of bad roads. I had a broken leg and some broken ribs. I could not walk or move. But I could not stay in the hospital because of the pandemic. So I hired a medical assistant to live with me and help me get better. You can see the price charts on https://myhometouch.com/cost-of-live-in-care. It was not the best time of my life, but I had company during quarantine.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Admin
SF Supporter
I love this idea. However, what I did in lockdown was to hire a live-in carer. You might ask why? I fell in the winter. I slipped on ice and fell down in the middle o the street. I was practically hit by a car because of bad roads. I had a broken leg and some broken ribs. I could not walk or move. But I could not stay in the hospital because of the pandemic. So I hired a medical assistant to live with me and help me get better. You can see the price charts on https://myhometouch.com/cost-of-live-in-care. It was not the best time of my life, but I had company during quarantine.
Ouch! Are you all healed now?

I love the ideas. I really need a treat for myself :>. Since my grandma started feeling bad, my parents sent me to take care of her. I am working as a nurse, so I decided to watch over her health to make sure she would feel better. But I do not have enough free time. I had to watch over my granny and at the same time do my job. I was too tired. I started searching for some good caretakers. I contacted homecareassistance.com for help. Many reviews said that they do a great job and the staff is really friendly. Now I have enough time for my job, and I get informed about my granny's health.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00