5'8 132 lb Hooters Girl told to lose weight. But check out manager!

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by boo, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Link to video

And if you don't want to watch the video..basically they are telling this 5'8 132 lb blonde that she has to lose weight or lose her job. The part that peaked my interest was when they went to get comment at the restaurant from what I believe is the district manager. The dude was a FAT. And I mean obese. Like HUGE. Easily north of 300 lbs.

Anyone been force to do certain thing or risk losing their jobs?

2. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I don't suppose it would be necessary to state she's plenty hittable...

3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Aye, that she is... :wink:

4. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I face problems like this all the time- but it's a different industry than "Hooters" < Which is a 'family sports bar' (or whatever the hell they call themselves XD)
    I'm glad someone is calling them out on their standards and it's getting news coverage!

Acting/modeling is very much about how you look, and if you don't have the look- you don't get the job... or if you 'lose' the look, you lose the job as well. It's just that simple. It'll never change either. I've accepted it.
    If I don't fit into the mold; I'm not going to force myself to fit it's painful and close to impossible. I'm not *that* desperate>> but many MANY actors and people pursuing modeling careers will do anything to get the part they want.

Back when I catered and waited tables in highschool- there were a few times that I was tossed 'hints' to lose weight; undo a button on my shirt; wear shorts instead of pants < it's just something you deal with in most jobs. You don't have to put up with it these days thankfully- but it is always going to happen as long as super skinny is in and 'fat' is out.

5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Meh, don't work at hooters then. There are plenty of resturants where that won't be an issue.

6. boo

boo Well-Known Member

i guess there's no point fighting for your rights anymore huh?

7. Mikeintx

Rights? People go to hooters for a reason. She also probably signed something saying that she would stay within a certain weight when she was hired.

8. boo

boo Well-Known Member

key word is "probably"

This is straight from hooters site:

Want to have fun at work? You can, at Hooters!

There are opportunities for everyone at Hooters. If you are looking for hourly employment, a career in management, or becoming a world famous Hooters Girl, then we want to hear from you.
    Select an area of interest on the left to learn more.

So by all account she has the right to sue them

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  9. Mikeintx

Right there is something for everyone there, including that 300 pound manager. Just because there is opportunity for everyone does not mean she can be a hooter's girl.

10. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Wow, that's a good one! I wonder if the manager thought of that to defend this case! I guess by you reaction, it is safe and fair to fire people who develop mental illness also? Get better or get out? after all i'm sure they are jobs that dont care about your mental state?

11. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

The link doesn't work for me :sad: Is there any alternative link?

12. KittyGirl

Not that's it's right... but as long as it isn't in the media spot-light this kind of thing happens all the time.
    They could make up a number of excuses that have nothing to do with her looks; just to fire her because she "doesn't fit into her uniform properly"

I've been fired from jobs before just because my manager didn't like me. I did my job properly, I tried hard, I was a reliable employee- but he fired me; saying that he had 'reason to believe that I was stealing' and there was no evidence to prove or disprove his accusation.

I was fired from my job last year because I was depressed and made customers feel 'uncomfortable' by not smiling or talking.
    Sometimes there's just nothing you can really do about it. They'll get away with it unless you make a GIANT fuss; get media attention and become the center of something that wasn't really worth saving your minimum wage job...

That is just my opinion though. I do believe that people have the right to defend themselves, of course. I think that what she did was great- going to the media! Good for her!
    I am just the kind of person who wouldn't really care... if it's not my dream job; I would've just fucked off.

13. boo

boo Well-Known Member

14. KittyGirl

It's kind of odd if the Hooter's girls don't have a union... with all of their other programs and contests and things available to them; I'd think they would also have some sort of worker's union...

15. boo

boo Well-Known Member

But you gotta admit, it was kinda nice of the restaurant chain to offer to pay for a gym membership. I guess they're not that evil :p

16. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Were you working at Wal-Mart? :unsure: If an Wal-mart employee follow me and smile and talks i usually head for the "Camping Gears" section and use bugs spray on them... or wear a T-shirt thats says "your smiles might be free, so are my bites" :D

17. Mikeintx

Yes, if that job requires you to be happy and outgoing and you are miserable and sad.

18. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, it happens. You need to look the part for the job. I think she does look the part, and I suspect most everyone but her manager does.

19. boo

boo Well-Known Member

He prolly is also a part-time food tester for the restaurant :D

20. KittyGirl

lol- no. I was working at a small-town video store. XD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.