5HTP for depression, anxiety, etc.

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Infinite Sadness, May 18, 2010.

1. Infinite Sadness

Infinite Sadness Well-Known Member

I am not sure if I should put this here or in medications but since it is from a natural source I figured here was good.

I was wondering if anyone has had any luck or experience they can share with me regarding taking 5HTP as a natural way to help with mental illness?

I have been on multiple SSRIs but I always find I build a tolerance to them and that they just turned me into am emotionless zombie.

I also have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and it's supposed to work for that too.

I am not sure what dosage to start with or what is acceptable for depression and anxiety which is what I have. The depression is caused by the anxiety....
  2. Mat Voleido

Mat Voleido Well-Known Member

I have no idea if this was in any way benificial, or just because I was growing out of my depression naturally, but I never took pharmaceuticals for my depression.

I took 1000mg of L-Tyrosine (dopamine precursor) in the morning with Vitamin B complex, a multivitamin later in the day, and 5-HTP (serotonin precursor) every night. Oh, and omega 3-6-9 supplements after every major meal.

In the mornings, I could feel the L-Tyrosine working, somewhat. And over time I just felt better and better. You might as well try? You have nothing to lose.
  3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

I second L-Tyrosine. It is the only thing ive taken that ive felt considerably better on.
  4. Infinite Sadness

Infinite Sadness Well-Known Member

Thank you Mat and Mike for the info!
    I am going to look into the L-Tyrosine for sure.
    Mat: Do you remember what dosage of 5htp that you took at night?
    I have read a few sites but I get mixed numbers.

I see a new pdoc tomorrow and I plan on brining it up with him.

Thanks again,

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

You might want to ask about inositol http://healthlibrary.epnet.com/GetC...03-7f62-4563-8d47-5fe33da65dd4&chunkiid=21766 . I took it a few years ago to help my OCD and it did seem to help my mood. I stopped taking it because it had no real noticeable effect on my OCD but I'm considering taking it again for my depression. It is supposed to lessen anxiety too which I have in spades.

Inositol is best (most economically) taken in bulk, powder form and this is the brand and company I had gotten it from http://www.vitacost.com/Jarrow-Formulas-Inositol-Powder.
  6. joshuab

joshuab New Member

Nice proverb..
    If every one realizes it, then there is no need for any medications.

Drug Rehab
  7. DoubledStratum

DoubledStratum Well-Known Member

One thing to consider when taking 5-HTP is that 5-HT, or serotonin, has a scary number of roles in the body. Over 90% of it is made in your gut, 98% of circulating serotonin has a part in blood clotting, etc. In the past they've been some studies implicating non-specific alterations to serotonergic pathways, or just upping serotonin levels in the body, to problems as diverse as cardiac fibrosis (scarring of the heart), high blood pressure and other such related nasties. I'd consult a doctor before self-medicating.
  8. Friend

Friend Well-Known Member

For me what works is 50 mg of 5-htp at night one hour before bed, and rhodiola rosea in the morning. 5-htp helps with serotonin production and the rhodiola rosea helps with dopamine production. I take a 10-day break from both of them every month, otherwise I develop a tolerance where I wont even get any effect from either of them. That is okay though because, in my opinion, neither of them are addictive. I can simply take them or leave them, but I do try and take them somewhat regularly that I can stay afloat in this world. They aren't for everyone and I'm sure they are not perfect, but they're the healthiest anti-depressants (RR)/anti-anxiety (5-htp) meds that I've found for myself so far. Comparing 5-htp and rhodiola rosea to klonopin or lexapro, the klonny & lexapro loses in every respect. One thing that you *must* keep in mind if you're going to consider the (unregulated) alternative medicines, what brand you pick has everything to do with your experience. NOW brand is the most affordable of reliable brands out there, many others like almost everything sold in walmart will have NO effect on you and aren't reliable at all. Rather than either of those options it would be better to try better brands like Eclectic Institute, but they can be a bit more pricey (it's your mental well-being, is it worth a few more pennies?). Bodyonics Pinnacle RhodaX and Eclectic Institute are both very reliable brands for the rhodiola, and the NOW brand of 5-htp works fine for me (and damn it all to hell if that didn't rhyme). Anyone who has done hard drugs in their past would have to be insane to not know about these amino acids and herbs. Just my own opinion on what works for me though and I am not a M.D.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2010