6 weeks

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Wastingecho, May 7, 2014.

1. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

i've now been sick for 6 weeks

had to take a week of vacation because i had used so many sick days HR was starting to talk about short-term disability which i can't afford because it takes the state weeks to process the first payments

fever coming down but still dogging me but i have to work or my chance at a decent bonus will suffer so i've been in the office sick for the last 3 days

been on two sets of steroids, two sets of anitibiotics, total of 10 different medications that have had little to no effect

tired of living with this, tired of doctors who barely look at you, but at least my cough has reduced to the point where i'm reasonably certain my lungs will remain inside my body

then today i get a call from the nurse practitioner telling me she is going to send me paperwork for more bloodwork and that i need to follow up with a pulmonologist - and silly me, i tell her that there's no point

at which point she tells me that, my mental condition notwithstanding, it sounds like i don't want to get better

fuck this shit - she knows about my depression - we've discussed it and it's in my file

see doctors for weeks and it wasn't until week 4 that someone decided to run blood tests and chest x-ray - no cultures, no swabs, nothing other than tongue depressors and stethoscopes until that point

maybe i need to take a good hard look at myself - if she's really right, i now have more than enough strong medication to deal with the problem permanently - i'll have to remember to thank her for that

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Hoping you'll consider getting the bloodwork done and following up with a pulmonologist (damn, that word is hard as hell to spell)!

:hug:

3. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hoping that you are OK, W....... I've been away and wondering how you are getting on. :)

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I too hope you follow up with the blood work ok hun do it the hell with everyone ok just do that for YOU hugs

5. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

think it's finally done - no fever, no more coughing

everyone still pushing me to get last blood test - don't want to have a panic attack in front of the technician (again)

6. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Hey W, FANTASTIC to hear from you :)

I can relate a little bit to how tough it must have been, have been sick with 'flu for over 3 weeks, was just getting over it after 2 weeks and spent an hour in a plane long enough to pick up another bug, and have been coughing my lungs out for the last 5 days - impossible to sleep beyond 2 or 3 am - nothing seems to be able to fix it :( But getting a little better each day ....