7 Minutes..

Discussion in 'Midnight Owl' started by Daijou, Oct 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

That's supposed to be the average amount of time it takes most people to fall asleep after crawling in bed. 7 minutes. I would love so much to be one of those people that has no problems falling asleep, but for me, my average is more around ~1-4 hours. And that's feeling like I'm about to pass out on my way to the pillow. But as soon as I get under the covers, it's almost like I'm fully awake again, then the tossing and turning begins. But if I do decide to get back up since I can't sleep, I'm completely drained once again and can hardly function doing anything.

Anyone else seem to have this problem?
  2. XsweetpoetX

XsweetpoetX Well-Known Member

I have the same problem. I could never sleep right. Its takes me about 2 hours to fall asleep. And when I finally do I end up waking up several times during the night. Nothing really helped it either. The doctor said its cause I probably have to much on my mind.
  3. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I have the same problem
    I didnt sleep at all Sunday night so i dropped off after 30 minutes last night. Still only managed 5 hours though. I was wide awake at 3 AM
  4. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

Yeah, people have said that I might have too much on my mind, but I really doubt that's the problem, since half the time I'm almost too tired to even get a full thought in. Waking up once you fall asleep really sucks too, I know that one well too.

I've considered doing that recently, but I never really know if I have to do anything during the next day, so it's risky to deprive myself of that much sleep if I have to drive or something. 5 hours is good though if it's interrupted. :p
  5. Borrowed time*

Yeah it was quite refreshing, i was bouncing off the walls at work today.
    I didnt do it intentionally, i just couldnt sleep. Thats the first time ive gone a whole night with out sleep i was suprised i could function at all at work.
    Im quite lucky i dont drive, i walk to work so the worst i would of done was walk into a wall or something. My mind did play tricks on me, i kept seeing my shadow and thought some one was following me. Not good at 5.30 in the morning.
  6. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

Good to know nothing bad happened to you. I might consider an all-nighter tonight if I can't fall asleep then, might actually do some good. But if your shadow starts stalking me, then I'm definitely going to sleep D:
  7. XsweetpoetX

Im always thinking though. Or worrying. Even when I am exhausted. So that probably really is the reason why I cant sleep. Have you talked to a doctor about some kind of medication?
  8. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

No, I'm kind of an odd one in the sense that I refuse to take any sort of medication to help me with anything, even if I know it would work. Very stubborn way to handle things, but I like the thought of living naturally and not having to be dependent on artificial drugs to help me get by.
  9. Borrowed time*

10. XsweetpoetX

Im the same way, I won't take them. But for a diffrent reason. Im afraid of becoming dependent on anything. Addiction runs in my family. Im sure it would help me,but id rather do something else to make me feel better.
  11. Daijou

Daijou Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd rather not be dependent on something to help me get to sleep either. Plus, there's always that sense of accomplishment when you overcome it on your own in the end.

Right now I'm looking into food/drinks that contain tryptophan, which is supposed to help your brain prepare you for sleep. Conveniently enough, milk is on the list, so I guess that myth about drinking warm milk to get to bed might hold some truth. If all it takes is a slight change in my night-time diet to sleep peacefully, then I'll be very happy.
  12. XsweetpoetX

You'll have to let me know how that works out :). Cause I need a healthy way to sleep better too.
  13. JigsawJohn

JigsawJohn Well-Known Member

That warm milk thing actually not such a bad idea, it does help me calm down sometimes. But it's not a miracle cure either. I don't wanna get addicted either, but I do take medications anyway, I just make sure the one's I take aren't addictive. I do have one such medication though, but I take it really seldom (like once a month or once every third month) and only when I feel I don't have any other choice. So I do understand you who don't wanna take pills for that reason, and also for the reason of not wanting to change your brain with chemicals... I've been put off by that when some meds actually did fuck me up more than they helped... luckily, nothing permanent! But I've lost months of my life through being on a prescripted drug cause it made me a zombie. That was quite horrible... so I just wanna say I totally understand you.
  14. in heaven

in heaven Well-Known Member

same here. always been this way. takes 2-4 hours normally.
  15. swallowfall

swallowfall Active Member

it takes me anywhere between 16 minutes and 4 hours, depending on what i'm on doing and what i eat/drink/do just before bed. i long to be someone who can just sleep. but alas, it is always an effort. and when i go to bed, i'm completely awake; as soon as i wake up or get out of bed, i am completely lethargic and tired. i have been having a lot of trouble getting out of bed for the last couple of days, not sure if it's to do with my suicidal thoughts/feelings/attempts, general depression, or just lack of sleep.
  16. souncide

souncide Well-Known Member

To be honest, I have no clue. But normally I fall asleep as soon as I go to bed, 'cause when I lay on it it's because I just can't stay up anymore and I almost slept on the keyboard.
  17. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I wish it would take me 7 minutes. It usually takes me an hour at least. I can't stand pure silence anymore so I keep a radio or tv on quietly for background noise while lying in bed tossing and turning...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.