8 Courageous Risks You'd Try

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Aerial, Oct 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

...more like risks or dares.

Here's mine =

1 = going to a concert completely on my own. I suffer with social anxiety and crowds make me extremely nervous.

2 = when I feel I'm ready, I'd like to try my hand at asking someone out on a date. Just for fun. I've never in my wildest dreams thought about actually doing something like that. It forces me to face some of my biggest fears. Namely fear of rejection, fear of ostracism, and fear of being in the spotlight in any way.

3 = cutting my hair short. It's gotten so long and I don't really do anything with it. I dig short hair on women and with the right stylist I should be able to find something that works for me. But I'm scared to part ways with a lot of my length.

4 = travel someplace far while alone. By far, I mean overseas, farther than North America in a place where a different national language is spoken and the culture is vastly different.

5 = tell my longtime friend about my feelings toward her. I love her but I don't like how jealous I've been toward her over the last 4 years. She's such a good friend and it's not right. That's why I've been avoiding her although she's been calling me wondering why I haven't wanted to hang out as much...

6 = get a full bikini wax for the first time. I hear so many horror stories about pain but I still want to try it someday.

7 = going back to school for a degree in journalism. This is a big risk because I already have so many debts to pay off. I can't afford it right now but maybe I could look into grants and extended loans.

8 = get a tattoo on my back to cover a scar I have
  2. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Mine are pretty similar!

1. Falling in love (frankly for someone with as low self esteem as I have, this is probably the one thing that could send me over the edge, but I'm willing to take that risk).

2. Having a baby (silly as that sounds! hahahaha. I'm in no position and wonder if I ever will be with my mental state and "not wanting to pass on these genes". But I think my desire to be a mother outweighs all of that).

3. Getting a tattoo (eeek @ the pain. But fuck it. They're just so cool aren't they. lol).

4. Travelling alone (I have wasted so much time not doing this because I'm scared to go alone, when the fact of the matter is... if I don't do things alone I'll probably never do them. So I've gotta get used to my own company and make the most of it!).

5. Eating alone/seeing a concert/comedy show/play alone (ditto the above!).

6. Getting some form of cosmetic surgery (it's a chance I'm willing to take. Because I'm not living in this body. This is no sort of life I am leading and I am just so so unhappy about my looks it has almost driven me to suicide. I think it's worth the risk).

7. Shave my head (one day!!! I'll get gutsy enough!).

8. Try an extreme sport (or various extreme sports, I'd take my chances. The exhilaration would be worth it for a few broken bones).
  3. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

I wrote out mine then as hit the post button Internet messed up on me.... I don't think I'm doing it over.
  4. Thinice

Thinice Well-Known Member

1. Take my life.
  5. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Okay decided to try again.

1- lots of travelling. Especially the "motherland" ( England ) and Ireland. And japan.

2- take my newly accepted sexuality and take it a step further by asking a guy out.

3- go bungee jumping or sky diving to get over my fear of heights.

4- go to a crowded bar and try and meet friends. In spite of my social anxiety.

5- try and arrange a meeting between various sf members.

6- start a new life elsewhere.

7- write the novel I've been wanting to.

8- do what I can to help the world. Join organizations, volunteer, etc.
  6. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

Drive myself into a brick wall, now that i have my drivers licence.
  7. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

I'll tag along with these too.

I've never been a club or bar person so that terrifies me, but maybe that's a dare I should look in, kind of like how people with stage fright finally suck it up and go on stage and feel exhilarated sometimes after going through with everything? Maybe that would be my gain if I confront my social anxiety in different places.
  8. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

This is my fear too. I keep on saying to myself that I need to be stable first, but what if I never am? Do I isolate myself forever then? That would suck so bad.
  9. Aerial

Aerial Well-Known Member

It's a warped king of courage, as many of us here talk all the time about suicide but don't have the guts to do it. I'm thinking that's a good thing. It allows us more time to stay and fight.

Do you have any dares you'd like to try other than taking your own life? Maybe something positive?
  10. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

1 - Open an official file to change my first name (officially on my civil file). It's long and exhausting, but if I have more money to put in it, I'll do; for now I haven't...

2 - Do a DNA test with my real father, or a close member of his family. (And know the truth, at last).

3 - Sing in public. Although I'm not so hot on public apparitions.

4 - Send my novel(s) to publishers. It's worth a try after all.

5 - Go back to my grand-parents' house (that's empty), take all the pics, search for documents. I left there more than 8 years ago. Never been back there since then.

6 - Volunteer. I'm already helping associations, but not on field. I don't like too much to be surrounded by lots of people. But I consider it seriously. I think it wouldn't be the same than to be among all these "stars", dressed like jewels bumping into you because they're laughing like turkeys on their mobiles....

7 - Go out more by myself. Since I'm severely depressed ( a year? Two?) I don't go out so much alone.

8 - Get on a plane. This is really a maybe. I'd love to travel, but just the idea to be caught up there in a metal box with no strings gets my breath shorter.
  11. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

1 - Open up completely to someone. Not hold back anything.

2 - Sing on stage. XD

3 - Travel the world. (Especially Japan)

4 - Get married and have a family. (Possibly with someone I didn't ever expect. :eek:hmy: )

5 - Join the Peace Corps/ Volunteer

6 - Meet some of the great people from SF. :eek:hmy: :)

7 - Let go of all the problems in my life that I have let hold me back from my dreams. Reach out for help and overcome my fears.

8 - Live.
  12. boo

boo Well-Known Member

1 - Scuba Diving with sharks
    2 - Sky diving
    3 - Bungie jumping
    4 - to continue my life
    5 - to go out and meet new people
    6 - stop smoking
    7 - stop taking drug
    8 - go to audition on Canadian Idol :p
  13. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

1.Bungie jumping
    4.Going to the concert/movies/bar alone
    5.Meeting in RL people from the forum
    6.Telling someone all the crazy/bad things I've done
    7.Quit smoking
    8.Quit waiting for that someone who will make my life worth living
  14. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

That's one of my goals. :biggrin: Instead of traveling actually living there for a while though.
    Also getting married and having a family.. there's a risk it will fall apart.. but I think I would like to try anyway.
    And going food shopping alone today. :unsure: No real risk.. but I'm very anxious.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.