9-11 this week

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by pisces-music-girl, Sep 9, 2007.

1. pisces-music-girl

pisces-music-girl Well-Known Member

Soon it will be September 11 2007, six years since that day that the world broke.

I know that this will be a triggering day for most of us. My family was not impacted in any way, but it still shocked and scared me.

Maybe we can share stories?

I was in the fifth grade, walking down the hallway at about 9 am, when the first tower fell. I remember all the teachers huddled around, looking scared and talking quietly. I especially remember the look of utter shock and hopelessness on my principal's face.

Kids started getting called out of school, we as classmates had no idea what was going on- until I got home. The images of the burning towers, the plane crashing into the second tower, and the two people who held hands and jumped still haunts me today. :sad:

I remember driving down the the beach with my dad and seeing the smoke from NYC (as I'm on the Jersey coast). I remember being in a state of shock, watching the same news clips for days on end...

Anyone else?

2. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

I was at school and my teacher told every one there about it. I got home and learned about it on the news. It seemed so random back then, why would those people want to blow up those buildings? How did building seven fall http://youtube.com/watch?v=58h0LjdMry0 ? Why was there no evidence for the plain hitting the pentagon? and all the video footage from cameras was taken by the fbi? Now I believe it was a inside job, false flag operation, because thats what all the evidence points too. 911truth.org . What about the other peoples that have died that people don't seem to talk about much? Like the thousands of innocent citizens in the middle east the US bombed or the millions of native americans they killed. etc.

3. The world was already "broke" as you put it. Sadly, that day was but a major reality check for the western part of the planet...

FAL1

Last edited: Sep 10, 2007
  4. :cry:

My family and I luckily only lost one person due to this viscious attack. He was a family friend that I knew fairly well. Robert, you will be missed, RIP. We had several other family members and family friends who were supposed to be there, but somehow missed a train or their kids woke up late and had to be taken to school. They escaped...

I was in the eighth grade when all of this began. The reason we are fighting the war today. I was in health class with my best friend, and we were all coming back from a restroom break or something when the principal came over the PA system and told us that a plane had crashed into the first tower. Some of us just sat there in shock. Others immediately called their parents to see if loved ones were okay. My best friend saw me just in shock, I couldn't talk, I couldn't do much of anything. We hugged each other for a solid 10 minutes. I cried on her shoulder the entire time. How could people do this to so many lives?!

Class change. I go on to science, having to leave the one support that I had there. In science class we saw the news for the first time that day. The images still play over and over in my head. My science teacher told us what was going on and turned the TV on. We all sat there in shock. My science teacher couldn't stop crying. She told us that she had a brother and a close family friend who worked there. Again the principal came over the PA system to tell us that the second tower had been hit. Again devastation. We stayed in our second period classes the rest of the day and watched the news. I wondered why my parents hadn't called to let me know if everyone was okay. I was so worried and couldn't hardly concentrate on what was being said in class.

Finally I went home. My mom and step dad were sitting on the couch crying, with the TV muted, running images of what once was the Twin Towers. I just ran to my mom, and sat down beside her and hugged her for so long. We cried and attempted to talk about what had happened, but every time either of us tried to speak, nothing would come out. I knew there was more bad news to come. I knew that someone we knew had been hurt in all of this, that someone was dead due to this tragic event. My step dad finally mustered up the willpower to tell me what had happened. I think I just sat there for a good 20 minutes staring at the wall trying to process what he just told me. Then my little brother came home and he already knew what was going on. He knew in his heart that something was very wrong. The poor little kid...

I don't know that any of the people who may have helped out during this tragedy will ever see this post, but I just want to say thank you so much for doing what you have for this country. Thank you to all of our soldiers and veterans who are fighting overseas right now. Thank you to the firefighters and paramedics who responded to the many overwhelming calls. Thank you to those brave citizens who did anything they could to help. Thank you to anyone who may have been involved in helping any ways possible. May you all be protected and watched over.

RIP victims of 09-11 :rose:

5. Smashed__

Smashed__ Well-Known Member

I was in sixth grade?

In math class watching the TV when they switched it to the real news station. The first tower was already hit. I remember a kid saying something like "yeah, a neucleur war !" and yelling at him to shut up. :rolleyes: class was dismissed and for the first time the halls were cleared in a matter of seconds.

I went into my theater class and the TV was on. I sat with a few classmates and there, we watched in horror as the second plane hit. we watched it fly in and hit the second tower. There I watched commit suicide live for the first time. I'll never forget the image of people holding hands and jumping to their deaths. I will NEVER forget it. I've seen reruns dozens of times over the years and they often skip that part. I sometimes question if it should have been shown in schools, and if It plays a factor in changing me('01 was a horrible year for me).

my mother picked me and my sister up within a few minutes of that. I can't remember if it was before or after the towers fell, i'm thinking before. we went home(under construction fro the flood) and watched.

its been many years so i'm sure time would be off if I were to guess, I just know places where I was. I do remember the second hit, collapsed first. and I remember everyone running away like people from a volcano erupting. :mellow: Every generation will have its devastation, war, and tragedies.:mellow:

6. Raiden

Raiden Guest

My memory is fuzzy of the event. I think I was in...third or fourth grade. I was called out of school (I live in puertorico.) I quietly went to my house, and found my family with sad looks. My father was on the floor and was crying. Then I saw the video of the planes crashing into the towers. Sadly, this was a reality check for US.

7. starlight2006

starlight2006 Well-Known Member

I lost my nan, not in the attacks ( i live in the UK), but about 5 minutes before the second plane went into the towers. It was such a surreal day. I was 15 at the time.

My nan had had a stroke and was in hospital. On the mornin of 9-11 (it was a tuesday) We got a call from my aunty who said the doctors had told her to gather the family because she wasnt going to be alive for long. We had to travel about 60+ miles up to where my relatives live. My mum said that i could go with her or stay at home. I originally said id stay home. But then when mum was about leave i rushed out and went with her.

She passed away peacefully thankfully. I remember being in the relatives room with alot of my mums family that i had never met. She rang my brother at home to tell him what had happened. He told us about the first plane - everyone thought it was an accident. But as he was on the phone, he saw the second plane hit. At the time none of us could actualy comprehend wat had happened because we were deep in our own grief.

On the way home that nite we stopped in a garage and got a paper. We couldnt believe wat had happened.

I dont want to take the attention away from thos who lost people in the attacks, just want people to know there are people who, in a way, share their grief.

It helps me to rite this because in a way i feel hard talking about my nan dying or sharing my thoughts and feelings because of what that day was. Everyone talks about 9-11 around this time, and i feel wrong saying anything because so many people died in such a horrific way.

I dont mean to upset n e one with this, jus rambling

8. Jasperius

Jasperius New Member

I was at work that day. I went out on the work floor and the first image that I saw on tv was one of the Towers collapsing. Since that was the first image that I saw at first I thought that people were dynamiting a building for reconstruction then a few moments later I heard the news announcer say the words "The terrorists," then I knew that it was a terrorist attack. From the reactions of one of the staff said on the work floor was another reason why at first I thought that the were simply tearing down a building for reconstruction.

I went and prayed in tears for a good while that night hours after the attacks happened.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2007
  9. Pitt Bull

Pitt Bull Member

I was on an air plane at the time of the first plane crash, flying from Albany NY to Baltimore MD for my connecting flight. When we landed in Baltimore we were told our flight was bording and we hurried to our connecting flight. We sat on the runway for three hours and we were then told the flight was cancelled. We quickly made reservations at a local hotel and took a taxii to the hotel. Once we were there the phone lines were down and we had no way to communicate with our families and work. Finally we got a land line to work and told everyone we were OK for them to talk to our families to let them know we were OK. There was a car rental place next to the hotel so we cancelled our reservations and rented a car and started the 9 hour drive back home. We at this time knew very little as to what happened and listened to the radio all the way home and had to take rouotes around NYC as they blocked alll traffic to the city. When we finally made it home I saw the devastation on TV for the first time and thank god we were home. It was scary to know you were on a plane as the planes crashed and that your flight flew over the towers minutes before the first plane crashed. I am grateful that my flight was not one of the terrorist planes even though some days I wished it was. My wifes birthday is 09/11 and we celebrate her birhtday with a heavy and grateful heart. My hats off to all the fire and police people who did what they had to that day.

10. weirdal

weirdal Forum Buddy

i remember i was in 4th grade, and on the way home my mum told me and my sisters. they didnt think much of it, but i remember looking at the newspaper and cryign and crying over how selfish people were in this world. i still get tearfeul now watching videos of it, and i respect the firemen and other heroes on that day who risked their love to save others, and i really do respect them so much.

11. pisces-music-girl

pisces-music-girl Well-Known Member

Thanks to everyone who replied.

My thanks and prayers are with the fireman, policemen, voultneers... even the dogs that hepled get the victims out of the rubble. The images are still triggering to me today.

My freshman year (two years ago) they played this thing on the Discovery Channel- the Flight that Fought Back, about flight 93. At the end I bawled my eyes out.

For those of you who said that this was a wake up call, think of all the Iraqis: I know exactly where you are coming from.

I forget who said this, but you were right: Every generation has its tragedies, its wars... life goes on.

Never forget 9-11.

12. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I lost a good friend at the twin towers and my brother-in-law was injured. I also had some studennts in the city at the time. I now have 16 relatives stationed in Iraq. It was definitely a life altering day for many people.

13. ih8u

ih8u Active Member

i was in 5th grade. saw it outside of the school window. i think some people i know saw the planes go in.