9 charged in girl's suicide (bullying)

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

2. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

thanks for posting this...I haven't seen it....
    I think it's a good thing they are prosecuting the bullies and I hope it sets a precedence worldwide.....
    I absolutely cannot stand bullying of any kind...
    I hope the case wins in favour of that poor girl who took her life.....
    so sad.....

3. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I find it interesting how the school officials knew what was happening and are facing no consequences for not doing anything about it.

4. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I was just reading about this!

5. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Those girls deserved it, and more, hopefully this will affect their future prospects too. No bully recieves my sympathy.

6. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

I just read this. What a sad story. I really hope those bullies get what they deserve....in this life or the next. Bullying is such awful behaviour. I experienced it in elementary school. To drive a teenager to suicide.....what a tragedy.

7. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

This makes me so angry!!!! How could it not be a criminal act? They pushed and pushed her. She's only 14, ffs. And those teachers should lose their teaching license because allowing that behavior in the classroom is unacceptable. That poor girl. And her family... it's just terrible.

8. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

*gets ready to duck rotten tomatoes*

i really feel for the girl and her family. don't get me wrong -- a suicide is horrible, BUT i can understand the school's inaction, to a degree. the problem with bullying is that the school can't always do much about it. they can 'stop' it but it doesn't really stop for real -- all that happens is that it gets driven elsewhere -- over the internet and other mediums, or out of school and then the school can't do anything about it because it's not during school hours and it's not on school grounds, because such is the law.

yes, i know, most of the bullying took place IN school, and i'm not denying that they should have done SOMETHING. but the problem is and i've seen it happen -- once the school does something oft times it just escalates the bullying because they went and blabbed. you can ban the bully from having anything to do with the victim but then the bully will just act through other means. it doesn't stop. and court charges aren't the answer. the way that they're treating it now is too black-and-white, because often the bullies themselves have their own issues to deal with.

maybe it's just a start. if it's a start then that's fine... but you cant solve all the ills in the world by taking them to court.

9. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I have to agree, it's not a black and white issue. It just makes me so angry that the teachers allowed it. They just sat and watched as this girl went through hell.

10. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I want to cry :cry:

11. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I think they deserved their punishment. Even if they didn't intend to drive her to suicide, they clearly acted abusively. It's one thing to bully but another to harass, in which you persistently abuse the victim in question. Hopefully, this sets an example to bullies to be accountable in how they treat others.

Personally, I find that bullying is treated all too nonchalantly by school officials. It's viewed as almost acceptable, since it's often seen as a natural part of growing up. I think schools should do more to foster greater safety and accountability in the school environment. Children will be children, but when it's to a point that it's causing emotional and mental distress, that should merit a protocol to intervene.

With that said, I ultimately agree with thedeafmuscian's assessment. To add to that, it's often very difficult for schools to act n a bully because of strict laws on how they can handle them. The overcrowding of schools certainly doesn't help either, since it detracts from staff's ability to kep track of everyone.

12. pit

pit Well-Known Member

No tomatoes here. You made a very insightful comment. I believe kids need to learn to stand up for themselves. They need to learn verbal and physical self defense against such mindless oppression. I'm saying that because it's what I needed growing up.

13. An Angel in Black

An Angel in Black Well-Known Member

yeh its BS, they should definantly be prosocuted to the fullest extent of the law. as for the students that took part, prosocuted. :cool:

14. PollyAnna

PollyAnna Account Closed

terrible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.