A couple of questions on death.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Fawx, Oct 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fawx

Fawx Member

Before I get to the root of my suicidal thoughts, I'd like to ask for opinions on a couple of subjects. I'm sure somewhere down the line, these questions have been asked before, but I do want to ask them again.

First question: Do you believe that there are consequences to committing suicide?

If you go through with it, do you believe you'll have to pay for it? Go to hell? Cease existing?

Second question: Do you believe in reincarnation?

Will you move on to another life or just stop existing? If you believe in it, do you think it's only limited to humanity? Or perhaps maybe animals/insects/plants/ect...?

Thanks in advance.

2. Darkness N Light

Darkness N Light Staff Alumni

Fawx,
    As I answered you in chat I will answer you again. I do not think that there will be consequences if a person committs suicide. However, I do believe that the consequences that they think they face is their own conscience letting them know that what they did is wrong.
    Do I believe in reincarnation? Yes, to a certain extent I do believe in it. I think that it depends on the person and the circumstances in which they died.

3. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

- I believe there will be consequences for committing suicide. Not for myself, (I am not religious, don't believe in hell, etc. etc.) but rather for the people I care about. To cause them pain would be so much more hurtful than to simply cause myself pain, that is part of the reason why I'm still breathing.

- I don't necessarily believe in reincarnation, but I would like to come back as something awesome, like a duck.

4. Blackness

Blackness Guest

I saw a movie once about this (the curses of suicide) and for the love of god cannot remember it...I will oneday I'm sure! :mad:
    Anyway. I've been told and many chistians or churchies will agree with this, that if I don't respect 'gods' wishing, ie. go to church, dont sin etc then I will go to hell anyway.
    I dont beleieve in hell tbh.
    and I don't think our souls will cease to exist. I think our bodies die, but our spirit lives for ever...whether that means we come back as another living being..one cannot be sure.

5. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

You die. The rest is up to other people.
    No.

6. Puddytat

Puddytat Well-Known Member

dont believe in reincarnation, i believe we all have on chance at this life.

dont know if there are any consequences to suicide, my entire belief system has been screwed w/ so i dunno what to believe anymore.
    i guess i do a bit.

i wouldnt want to kill myself thinking that there arent consequences and find out i was wrong. rather be safe than sorry i guess.

7. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

1) No, if you actually do it then you won't feel any thing. I guess.
    2) No, reincarnation is illogical. One all your memories get deleted when your brain rots after you die, theres no way to transfer them to another being as far as I know. Even if your soul or what ever came back you wouldn't know probably, so it would be almost the same as you ceased existing.

8. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

1.) No
    2.) Yes

9. ih8u

ih8u Active Member

1) well not sure about consequences, but who is to say what happens after won't be worse than life. life screws everybody over. why wouldn't death? suicide or not
    2) i'm supposed to

10. Azul

Azul Well-Known Member

1. Probably not, but it would be stupid to say I 'm certain of it.
    2. Nah that's just wishful thinking.

11. Trip the Dark fantastic

Trip the Dark fantastic Well-Known Member

Consequences? Of course, no doubt about it. Just think of the consequences in the mindset of those you leave behind. Every article in a newspaper about someone else's suicide will provoke a reaction in your parents, siblings, lovers...

Every feeling of sadness and helplessness will be traced back and amplified to the day, you took your life. Your suicide will touch this and any other generation. "Grandma, what happened with...? Why does no-one talk about...?"

Reincarnation? If you take the premise that everything has a consequence as I outlined above, you can't deny that every cause has an effect. Your death will have a dramatic effect on others. Why should death work differently? You being dead cant be an end but is again the cause of yet another effect. I like to think, that this effect may manifest itself in reincarnation. The dynamic of cause and effect means they must be a purpose for everything we do. We don't just live and die for no reason. Buddhism's interpretation of reincarnation makes therefore sense to me.

It depicts living and dying as a wheel which begins with your birth, and ends with your death. Not following the purpose of bettering yourself in your life, of developing your insights in life itself means, you are trapped in an eternal cycle of being reborn, living (making the same mistakes..) and dying again.

The intriguing aspect is that at one stage in this seemingly endless cycle of living, dying, being reborn in a wheel, you leave this wheel and enter a spiral towards a higher understanding of your purpose in life. The concept of enlightenment comes into play. You gained insight into the purpose of life itself, its impermanence, its law that "Nothing is permanent, except change".

I'm convinced that everything is governed by, what we do right now does have an effect which in turn is the cause for another effect. An endless string of causes and effects.

Deciding to take ones life is nothing but another cause. Its effect for you personaly is maybe, that you are reborn to get another shot in life of developing. For all I know, you may lead a (reborn) life and this time not deciding to kill yourself...definitely a step up from your former life.

But there is no doubt, your death will touch many lifes you leave behind..and the string of 'cause and effect' will continue and most likely for the worse...

12. lebigmac

lebigmac Well-Known Member

"Consequences?"

No, how can there be? You're dead. Maybe you're family members will feel pain for a while, but they'll get over it. And it's not like anything that happens after your death is relevant.

"Reincarnation?"

I don't know if you're serious, but the answer's no.

13. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Yeah. Death.

No.

14. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

I agree with Darken. If there IS reincarnation, we wouldn't remember it anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.