A&E/ER Intoxicated Admissions

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Here in the uk it is being proposed to charge people who us A&E/ER hospital departments because they are drunk

In the Costa's you are charged 300euro which usually is covered by your holiday insurance

There is one extremely serious issue with this though:

If the NHS charge to treat drunks then what about those of us admitted because we have self injured or are there for a failed suicide attempt?

If we self-inflicted-ees (as some hospital staff see us) know we will be charged we will then not bother to go to A&E/ER for treatment.

Whilst I agree drunks should be charged I am sure I am not alone in agreeing charging those of us who have SI'd or attempted suicide should NOT be charged as by definition it is an illness albeit psychological
  2. Alsadan

Alsadan Member

This makes illogical sense, all of it.

Would you get charged for going in, injured, after smoking? No. That just sounds ridiculous.

Drinking is a perfectly legal (18+ anyway) activity, so this whole idea just seems stupid. Also, alcoholism is a very serious issue and a lot of folk use alcohol to numb feelings (myself included) which sometimes are a prelude to suicidal attempts.

Also, legally you are considered "intoxicated" after 2 drinks in most cases (driving laws). Also seems stupid, either ban alcohol or don't make stupid rules.

On those grounds, self-induced is also in relation to an "illness" ie; depression. No-one of a normal mindset tries to kill themselves, it is part of this illness.

Just seems like another attempt to monetize the NHS.
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

The important word in that being IF - another words, they do not and and as best I was able to tell by asking some UK friends and Google there is no discussion that they intend to do this ....
  4. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Sorry but money doesn't deter people from drinking. Most of the time people will be too drunk to care or realize where they're at. Most of people are guided in to ER by someone else. The argument that people won't seek help is already proven wrong in other countries where ER is expensive. People still flood the ER with drunk related stuff. In USA we have private insurance if we're lucky and then there's copays. With my current insurance if I go in ER I pay 150 if I a, admitted overnight it's 500 every freaking time no matter what the reason is. In America it's expensive and does not stop people from drinking when they want to.

You're forgetting alcoholism is a disease just the same as depressed or SI attempts it's no different.

My opinion is that you guys got it luckier than many Americans who don't have insurance and dont get medical care. One of my new staff visited the ER for a chapped finger he was not insured and he said the bill was 650. One of my recent hospitalization bill was 30,000 but insurance paid for it and I only had to pay 500.
  5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

We are lucky in the uk but the trouble is a lot of us Brits abuse the system. We go to ER for trivial things. There is a 111 phone number you can phone for advice but because the operators are not paramedics they invariably advise you to dial 999 (equivalent to 911) which negates the point of 111.

As has been said in this thread it is only a proposal to charge:

6. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I feel the need to point out that calling 111 does not put you in contact with a paramedic but it does put you in contact with a nurse. After the initial assessment a nurse, or even a doctor, will call you back. I have called 111 a half dozen times over the past five or six years and at no point have I been told to call 999 instead.
  7. lost81

lost81 Staff Alumni

If have ever had to sit in A&E on a Friday or Saturday night/early morning in UK (and some other places I expect), you'd know exactly why they are doing this. Its a scary scary sight indeed. People who need treatment due to drinking too much, use HUGE amounts of resources every week and have done so for a very long time. I am surprised it is only being suggested now.
    I'm not sure you could put self injury or a failed suicide attempt in the same category. The two are very very different. They might as well just make suicide illegal again here if they were planning on classing it the same as being drunk off your ass and hurting yourself.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

Dont you guys have something american police call a drunk tank?
  9. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

Im sure they have a drunk tank, but we have the same problem in Canada. If you drink so much you are unresponsive you cant be placed in the drunk tank. There is literally a thing as too drunk for the drunk tank.
  10. DrownedFishOnFire

11. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Not really DFOF. Drunks are just taken to the local police station & kept in a cell in the custody suite until they are sober enough to be released. Some towns such as Bournemouth have a safe bus acuired by the PCT from local bus companies ex-fleet. The bus is parked in the town centre over night where drunks are taken there. They are triaged into three groups:

1) Kept there & fed coffee until sober enough to be released

2) Driven home in the PCT minibus

3) Taken to hospital either by PCT minibus or ambulance

This scheme keeps pressure of overworked A&E/ER departments
  12. DrownedFishOnFire

Wow drunks do have it made over there!

In America, if you're drunk you risk getting fined/arrested for public intoxication if not at home.

A lot drunks are left on their own if their friends left them. Most drunk people go home and sleep it off, the annoying drunks get arrested and thrown in the drunk tank to sober up. Getting transportation means calling for a cab and paying for one, there's no such thing as catering to drunk people here. The drunks lose if they get caught driving under influence, it's massive fines and costs average cost of a DUI offense I think is 25,000.
  13. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

The few times I was totally blitzed & out of it I found somewhere out of public gaze to sit & sleep. I have never actually been admitted to A&E/ER for being drunk; I would die of shame
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.