• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

A fast happy pill for depression?

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer
SF Supporter
Hey, so i take xanax when i need to for panic attacks. It works quickly on the anxiety. Is there a pill that can do that for oncoming really depressing times at work? That works right away for that? Does xanax help depression too or just anxiety? I feel suddenly really shitty.. and dark

SillyOldBear

SF grey-haired bear 🐻
Staff Alumni
xanax is highly addictive and should not be taken every day. But there are many, many meds out there to help depression and anxiety that are intended to be taken daily. Talk to your doctor about them. It usually takes a few weeks for them to start working and you may have to try more then one before you get the right one. But they are well worth looking into.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hiya. Like the above poster mentioned, Xanax is highly addictive and to be used with caution. It is a great medicine for anxiety but tolerance builds up in your system and after X amount of days you will find that your body will be craving more of the drug to have the original desired effect. It should be used short term or long term with strict guidance by a psychiatrist.

As for a similar one for depression, I think it really is trial and error to find the one that suits you long term but no, Xanax I believe doesn't do much for depression, just anxiety, PTSD, and those sort. But there are anti depressants such as Mirtazapine (known as the sedating anti depressant) that can help your anxiety and depression, Zoloft is another one that may fit that category as far as helping with both. It is kind of trial and error until you find the right one that helps.

There is no ''fast'' acting pill for depression unfortunately, they can take up to 6 weeks for full effects.

I hope you get on the right track and feel relief soon. *hug

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer
SF Supporter
Hiya. Like the above poster mentioned, Xanax is highly addictive and to be used with caution. It is a great medicine for anxiety but tolerance builds up in your system and after X amount of days you will find that your body will be craving more of the drug to have the original desired effect. It should be used short term or long term with strict guidance by a psychiatrist.

As for a similar one for depression, I think it really is trial and error to find the one that suits you long term but no, Xanax I believe doesn't do much for depression, just anxiety, PTSD, and those sort. But there are anti depressants such as Mirtazapine (known as the sedating anti depressant) that can help your anxiety and depression, Zoloft is another one that may fit that category as far as helping with both. It is kind of trial and error until you find the right one that helps.

There is no ''fast'' acting pill for depression unfortunately, they can take up to 6 weeks for full effects.

I hope you get on the right track and feel relief soon. *hug
Okay. Thank you.. I take Citalopram too. Just wondered if there's a fast acting one fir when youre in that really dark moment abd feel lije yoyre going to do something stupid. Because screw life.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer
SF Supporter
xanax is highly addictive and should not be taken every day. But there are many, many meds out there to help depression and anxiety that are intended to be taken daily. Talk to your doctor about them. It usually takes a few weeks for them to start working and you may have to try more then one before you get the right one. But they are well worth looking into.
Is xanax the only ptsd panic relief fast acting one? Are there others? i dont use it often. Only when i cant control it..

sinking_ship

woman overboard
Forum Pro
SF Supporter
Is xanax the only ptsd panic relief fast acting one? Are there others? i dont use it often. Only when i cant control it..
There are others, but they are all similar drugs chemically, so have the same addictive problem. If you have breakthrough anxiety more often than can be managed with occasional xanax, it's worth talking to your psychiatrist to see if something else daily can be added or adjusted.

SillyOldBear

SF grey-haired bear 🐻
Staff Alumni
There are other fast acting panic relief meds such as Ativan. But they are all classified as benzodiazepines and all are highly addictive. They should NEVER be used on a daily basis. Doctors monitor there use closely as they don't want patients to become addicted. You just don't need to add addiction on top of an anxiety disorder. You really should talk to your doctor about some of the daily meds that can help. Once you find the right one, you will have many FEWER panic attacks.

Sunspots

To Wish Impossible Things
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Over in the UK they also prescribe a beta blocker called propranolol for anxiety too. It can be taken on a regular basis or as a PRN as needed.
Also an antihistamine called promethazine can be taken when needed for anxiety. I have taken it in the past but it totally knocks me out but my friend takes it as a PRN for anxiety and it works well for her.

I don't think there's anything fast acting that can be taken only when needed for depression sadly.

Champagne

✯✯ Heart of an angel ✯✯
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hello @foreverforgotten

No there are others, Xanax belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines, there are others in that group such as Diazepam, Klonopin, Ativan and Lexotan, Dalmane. They are all addictive so caution must be used and never take a higher dose than prescribed. Discuss this with your doctor and see what they think is the best course of action.

Some argue that they should not be taken daily but I function relatively well whilst taking them daily exactly as prescribed and I have an anti psychotic medicine as a PRN (as needed use) for when the anxiety gets out of control.

Some doctors prescribe beta blockers for the physical effects of the anxiety/panic attack. That might be worth looking into?

Some also prescribe anti histamines as @Sunspots has mentioned as some can be quite sedating especially Promethazine and Piriton.

Talk to your doctor and talk to your pharmacist if you feel the need to. We're here just as peers to help too but the bottom line is what your doctor says and prescribes of course.

I have been on benzodiazepines for years, they still help me massively, I take them on a daily basis for this course of time because my anxiety levels are off the charts.

I really hope you get some help and find useful support here. *hug

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Hi @foreverforgotten
Regarding benzodiazepines, the general school of thought is that 2 weeks continous use is sufficient for dependance to develop. So therefore, it is generally advisable to use it on a PRN basis wherever possible. Of course there'll be situations where daily daily treatment is needed.

As for a quick acting anti-depressant, frustratingly no one has developed one as such. I think it's been well documented that on average it takes around 2weeks for a beneficial effect to be manifested. One thing though, which I standby, is that with antidepressants, they can be viewed as an augmentative agent as just popping a pill and expecting it to work wonders atraight away just doesn't work. Some effort must be made by the patient as well. In fact, you can say this is true regarding the treatment/manangement for majority of conditions.

Now you raising the question of is there being a quick acting anti-depressant and taking into account of how things have been for you lately, suggests it would be a good idea for you to see your doctor? As you're already on Citalopram then maybe a dose adjustment or add on therapy may be required to help regain a sense of control for you? There are many options available, both drug and counselling/therapy based so hopefully working with your healthcare team you'll be able to find a treatment plan that suits and helps you.

Daphna

Ninja of light
Hey, so i take xanax when i need to for panic attacks. It works quickly on the anxiety. Is there a pill that can do that for oncoming really depressing times at work? That works right away for that? Does xanax help depression too or just anxiety? I feel suddenly really shitty.. and dark
I agree wholeheartedly about Xanax being highly addictive. I lost a dear friend to that drug. From my personal experience there is no miracle 💊 to help with any mental anguish. There are also no illegal substances that will help either. In my case it was demonic oppression. Which makes sense why treating my flesh was unsuccessful when it was spiritual in nature. I was then freed through prayer, not a church, and I haven’t had the problem since.

berryStraw

Not totaly useless,I can be uses as a bad example
Tramadol Hydrochloride (opioid based painkillers, less addictive that the other varients from what ive read, starts working in 30-50 mins for me) made me calm and depression went away for like 5-6 hours. You do need a prescription tho if ur in UK

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$55.00
Goal
$255.00