a few questions

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by meh__, Feb 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meh__

meh__ Well-Known Member

do you guys believe in god? or have a belief in anything? and if so, does it stop you from attempting or make you reconsider suicide?

and, i have asked this before but didn't get too many responses..how are you able to manage a job when suicidal? or in my case, suffering with severe anxiety?

i am struggling quite a bit..havent left the house in a while but i NEED a job.

my friends(the couple i have left) don't understand what i'm going through at all, they think i should be able to snap out of it, but i've been this way since i was 11 and im 19 now. if i was able to snap out of it, don't you think i would have by now...?

sry for all the rambling.
    -marla

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Hi Marla,

I'm not very religious, saying that my mother in law (to be) is a minister & I think she tries to have us share her beliefs. Much to her dismay we don't :eek:hmy:. Nor has it ever made me re-consider or regret my attempts.

As for the whole job thing, I have a job, well I'm off sick atm but I am employed & covered by the Disability Discrimination Act (DDA). I don't know where you're from so I don't know if this would apply to you but if you're in the UK then it's worth looking into. I admit that I do struggle with my depression & anxiety but luckily my employers have been very supportive.

It's sad that your friends don't understand how much you are struggling, I think the majority of people who haven't experienced depression would struggle to understand it though. I mean really, if we could 'snap out of it' then we would have done it a long time ago.

Take care hun, Claire xx

3. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

...i have a relationship with God. . . but do not believe God has anything to do with organized religion. there are fine and not-so-fine people involved in organized religion. God probably doesn't mind - but i don't think He cares how you connect with Him as long as you do.

that being said - i am a mere human - and i connect with God - in my way - the way that i can understand, but, God may connect with others in different ways. .even different forms of Himself... i respect all faiths, or one who chooses no faith. having a relationship with God has prevented me from slipping over the edge - because i feel i would be wasting my time here, when perhaps He can work through me to help someone. to love someone. to bring light to even one person.

(((i have children. they alone, are a preventive measure for me. no matter how bad it gets i can't do that to them)))

holding down a job with severe depression and anxiety??? can't imagine. i do well to get a meal cooked lately - my therapist assures me anti-depressants will allow me to get 'back on track'. . .. have you tried medication and therapy - as a combination? for me, it is an unkown as of yet. i strongly WANT to be productive and live a life, not '''survive''' a life. big difference.

also - we all know the people who tell us to ''snap out of it'' ((ha, maybe they're the same people!)) (((wonder if they go to a '''what's wrong with them forum'")) seriously - most people in 'real life' do not understand. i have a friend who does (b/c she is a psychologist who suffers also, from depression!) (go figure) right. we are not going to 'snap' out of it.

you do the right thing by reaching out here- we are all in the same boat - and i think we all try to be there for each other. hope you find your way through - i care very much. thanks for posing some interesting questions...xxx

4. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

I used to believe in god, but the more I thought about it the more I realized the impossibility of him existing.

As for a job, I'm still in high school, but with the anxiety/suicidal mood swings I've taken on a tendency to fail at everything.

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I believe in God. It does give me hope, but it doesn't really change my suicidal thinking. If anything, I think that I will be with God when I die.

I suffer from severe anxiety as well. It is very hard for me to maintain a job. I got lucky and got hired at my friends' parents' music store. I work just answering phones and stuff... I'm actually there now. Don't think I'd be able to keep it up if I didn't get to come on SF at work.
    I know how hard it can be looking for a job when you're still looking for the will to live, or going through extreme anxiety. I feel for you I really do. I wish you luck :hug:.

I've been through this too, more with family then friends who don't understand. You can't "snap out of it" very easily. I don't think I've read anyone on this forum who posted and said hey guys last night all the depression just ended I am fine now thanks and lived happily ever after. I am sorry your friends don't understand. I think it's very likely you'll get better, but if it's been going on for eight years, it's more likely to happen in therapy or with a certain medication.

No need to be sorry! That's what we're here for love :heart:

6. meh__

meh__ Well-Known Member

thank you guys for responding, it helped:).. i am going to try really,really hard to go look for a job somewhere this week.. it's not so much about getting the job, because i've gotten jobs before, it's more keeping them..sometimes i just get so depressed and anxious i can't even leave my room let alone leave my house to work! ah well ..

7. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

I'm so set on going through with my suicide that my faith has nothing to do with it anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.