A form of self injury we can all get into

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by jameslyons, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Exercise. I thought this the other day as I was punching my hand against the wall. The pain in my hand was a lot like the pain in my heart or in my side after running for a while. As such I've started "self-injuring" with exercise that 1. let's me punish myself for all the destructive reasons and 2. makes me more fit and tires my mind so that I can't think about what was bothering me and 3. lifts melancholy as hormones flood your body.

It really helps!

Don't think of exercise as a way to ignore your self destructive desires, use it as a self destructive action. Self Injury demands pain not needless pain. Just chanel that destructive chaos into something that will make you feel better. All the while you're hurting yourself.

Its been really helpful for me.

2. MourningAngel

MourningAngel Well-Known Member

That's a great idea! :smile:
    I'll try that as soon as school leaves em enough time for that.:dry:

3. plates

plates Well-Known Member

naw you can die exercising a lot, esp if you can't stop thinking about it and your whole day is thinking about food and exercise. i used to do it and nearly died..

4. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

that is a great idea. Just not too much exercise for me of course. I might try it.

5. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Exercise may work as a distraction, so that's a great idea!

6. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Funny, given that excercise produces the same hormones and effects as self-injury ;) It's known as the "runner's high" colloqiually. Very good call.

With regards to punching the wall, drink lots of calcium. A lot of monks and yogis 'harden' their bones by submitting them to such endurance training. It actually strengthens you if done right.

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

You know, that's not such a bad idea. I'll give the gym a try instead of something else I was planning.
    Thank you for suggesting it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.