A friend just triend to kill himself not sure what to do now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday was a good day overall my band jamed out (we have been stressed out over this song we have been writing) after practice we got 3 bottles of whiskey and three 12 packs of beer. well we drank, got loud laughing and talking. Me the lead guitarist even ran out side and had an epic wresling match that turned into a stalemate. Now mind you we do this every monday we all got the day off start to get our drink on early like around 4 or 5 o'clock when normally we dont start till about midnight or so because of our jobs but this is usually the only time of the week we get hard liqor usually its just beer. When it got to be around 2 in the morn or our lead guitarest passed out we were waiting for for a while cuz by then he started talking about beating up the neighbors just cuz he wanted to fight, and he was talking about suicide now me and my rhythm guitarist just thaught o hes just realy drunk we let him sleep while my rhythm guitarist and I had a long conversation about music then politics. Eventually it came time for me to go home and I took my lead guitarist home and I got home and went to bed as the sun was comin up. well today I get a text from my rhythm guitarist that my lead guitarist is in the hospital and he tried to kill himself after I took him home. Im not to sure how to handle this situation when he gets out though ive been in his shoes before I just havent been on this side before.

Sorry I dont want to use real names so just refered them as to what they play in the band.

i'm sorry to hear that your friend tried to do that. i must say i'm thankful to hear he didn't succeed. anyways, the only thing i know to suggest is to be as supportive as you can be. maybe go and visit and say hi see how he's doing. well, there's just a couple of suggestions sorry i'm not full of more possibilities for ya. please take care and let your friend know i really hope he feels better soon.

itmahanh

Senior Member & Antiquities Friend
Sounds like you guys are a close group of buddies and need to let your friend know that he is still a part of that group. He is really going to need to know that you're still there for him. He has a lot of things to work out once they release him and I know from personal experience that knowing you havent scared off the people that mean most to you helps a great deal in moving past what happened. And please dont try to act like it never happened. You dont have to bring it up but if he needs to talk about it, let him. Dont try to minimize it because there will be enough "professionals" doing that already. Good luck and hope he is doing much better soon!

Being on the other side, I had friends both ways....more that stayed away because they were so afraid of me they didn't know what to say - really bad. And one who insisted I was a nutcase and I needed to go to a mental hospital...just as bad. Then I had one friend who sat with me for three nights and let me cry, didn't ask questions, took care of me and was just there...that's what I needed. Because I was humiliated for a myriad of reasons, mostly because it didn't work (he never knew that), I just needed someone to be there.

I know when I drink, it's 10 times worse. I don't seriously want to end my life. I know the difference between the two feelings...and when you are drugged up aor not sober...really bad shit can happen that you don't want to. Just being there for your friend without asking questions....I bet is just what he needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00