A Hobby

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
I have found my hobby to be crucial to good mental health. I kind of stumbled onto it because I found some Coleman lanterns and went online to see how to make them work again. I found a whole subculture of Coleman collectors out there many of whom are my friends now. Many of them know I struggle mentally, that I am bipolar, and most of them accept me the way I am and support and encourage me. Not only does the hobby give me friends it also gives me something to focus on in my spare time. I had a three day weekend this weekend and instead of just holing up in my bedroom I worked on this lantern. It went from being dirty and rusty and dingy to almost like it was when new.

228 Slant 5-18-19.jpg

Slant 2.jpg

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
In addition to the benefits to your mental well being, it looks to me like a past time that could generate some income. Would you being willing to sell these, or are they too personally important to you? As an artist myself, I could understand that.

Angie

Safety & Support
SF Supporter
Thank you for posting. Actually the Coleman lantern brings back some good (and rare) childhood memories.

MosesY

Recovering Alcoholic
SF Supporter
HumanExMachina I sell lanterns sometimes but like the one I pictured would not be for sale at this point. You can find just about any lanterns you want on eBay. I generally do not make money on the ones I sell, I sell them at or below what I have invested in them. I am going to give one to my departed cousin's wife. I built an Indiana University lantern for my coworker. I love fixing them up and then seeing people enjoy them.

Lane

SF Pro
SF Supporter
I have found my hobby to be crucial to good mental health. I kind of stumbled onto it because I found some Coleman lanterns and went online to see how to make them work again. I found a whole subculture of Coleman collectors out there many of whom are my friends now. Many of them know I struggle mentally, that I am bipolar, and most of them accept me the way I am and support and encourage me. Not only does the hobby give me friends it also gives me something to focus on in my spare time. I had a three day weekend this weekend and instead of just holing up in my bedroom I worked on this lantern. It went from being dirty and rusty and dingy to almost like it was when new.

View attachment 23116

View attachment 23117
Thanks for this post. The shine is beautiful.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00