a lady in my office

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by bnz, Nov 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bnz

bnz New Member

Hello

A lady in my office is talking about driving her car onto a railway crossing and waiting for the train to hit her in the car. She is worried she may survive. I have tried reasoning with her and talking her around. She says she doesn't want to fail and end up a vegetable for 30 years in hospital, not being able to move at all. Is there any chance she will not be killed instantly and can anyone suggest a solution. She is not at a stage where she will actually do it and our mental health people won't touch her. :sad:

2. Maja

Maja Member

Hey bnz,

I noticed you just posted discussing your own difficulties that you are experiencing right now in another thread as well. It can be a real challenge to help someone else when you are in pain yourself so kudos to you for wanting to reach out and help this lady.

Have you talked to her directly about her thoughts of suicide yet? If not, is that something you would be willing to do?

If you have or if you are planning to, sometimes it can help to try and connect her with resources - to show her that there are places she can get help. For instance, you could tell her about these forums or you could just leave her a note with the website address if you don't feel comfortable actually speaking to her. You could also leave the number of a local crisis line. This way, she may have access to resources she had no clue were available.

It sounds like you are worried about her and that's natural. Do you have anyone in your life that you can talk to about this and about your thoughts of suicide? Sometimes, as hard as it is to see someone else struggling, it is helpful because it can help us see what the impact of our own pain can be on others. Not that you aren't allowed to feel that way...but it just gives some perspective.

How are you feeling right now? I hope that you are taking good care of yourself!

Maja

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.