A late goodbye.

Discussion in 'Grief and Bereavement' started by Firelord, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Firelord

Firelord Active Member

I still remember first meeting you when you still belonged to my uncle. Despite my long gone fear of dogs I never was afraid of you. Despite the fact that you were larger, stronger and more frightening looking then any canine I had ever seen you never once intimidated me. Instead I found the closest, kindest and sweetest friend I've ever had. Whenever I'd visit my uncles for those first four years of your life we'd run around the potato field non stop. My parents never needed to worry about me outside because you were there. You never were too rough with me when I was little and when I scraped myself you kissed my wounds better.

Then came the day my mother found out you were in the kennel and you were my uncles no longer. From that day forward every afternoon I spent with you. When I was afraid of the dark you came into my room to lay down. When the other dog tried to hurt me you drove him away. When the man came towards me on the street you snarled a warning and he knew that you would kill him before you let him get near. When the kids that hurt me during school approached the yard you frightened them away. You taught me to be strong, you taught me to be brave and you taught me more then anyone else what it meant to be a good and caring person. Who else but a dog could teach that so well? An animal which has such a strong bond with us humans that they have guided our historical development and guarded over us from the dawn of time.

I remember getting older and us walking through the forest once my parents let me go hiking by myself. I remember us exploring everywhere we could and staying out there for hours. I was no longer afraid by then, you had helped to teach me to be strong. At thirteen years old you were ten years old, you weren't as fast and strong as you used to be but you will still far more powerful then myself. Yet you still were gentle as a lamb despite all your might. But then my grandmother took you up north and I didn't see you for a long time. You were my dog.. but I hadn't a word in it. It's not my parents fault.. they didn't know you'd fall into the hands of my other uncle. They thought my grandmother would take care of you...

Three years later I saw you again.. you were older but still healthy. Then a year later and my grandmother got sick and you went to my uncle.. and you were not the dog I remembered at the funeral. I wanted to bring you back, I argued with my parents over it. I almost got into a fight with my relatives but in the end I realized that you were too sick. It broke my heart to see you like that.. and to this day I still tear up thinking about it. You were my dog.. not my grandmothers, not my parents.. mine.

Then came the following year and I learned you'd passed away.

Nobody else has guided me to the person I am today more then you. Not my father, not my mother, not my uncles or aunts or grandparents.. it was you. I may be a human being, but my personality has been shaped by a dog.. and you know what? That makes me a stronger and better person. I have you to thank for the good person I am today. Loyalty, courage, strength, love.. you taught me all that. You taught me everything.

I love you Goblin.. and I miss you greatly.

R.I.P Goblin
    1988 - 2002
  2. Broken Spirit

Broken Spirit Well-Known Member

Bless you.

Are you familiar with the following poem...

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together...

Author Unknown

3. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

that poem is so sweet
  4. tweetypie

tweetypie Antiquities Friend

Unless you have had that bond you can never really know. Im sorry hes gone. I thought your letter was beautiful xx