A legal question

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Pelthalas, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pelthalas

Pelthalas New Member

I have suffered from depression for a long time and although I have stopped short of suicide, I have always told myself I would not seek treatment for any fatal illness I might contract.

Just recently I have been suffering from severe postural headaches, especially when I am physically active. I have also been getting some kind of spasm attack, like a fit, whilst asleep which wakes me up, these have been increasing in frequency and getting worse. These symptoms are consistent with a brain tumour.

Last week I discovered what is almost certainly a melanoma and this along with other less obvious symptoms has convinced me that I may have secondary tumours from an unknown primary tumour. Obviously I want to know whether this is the case since I need to make preparations if I am right. However I am concerned that because of my history of clinical depression, doctors may be able to force treatment upon me if I am diagnosed with something treatable.

So the question is, can a doctor use the MHA to force me to receive treatment for a fatal condition I did not instigate? (I live in the UK).

2. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

I do not know about the UK, but here, in the US we have the right to refuse treatment. Only if a family member takes power of attorney can treatment be forced upon us, but we have to be declared legally incompetent, and can appeal that decision if it is made.

Of course I hope you have a change of heart and accept treatment, but the choice is yours to make.

Here is a website outlining your medical rights in the UK - http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/your_family/health_index_ew/nhs_patients_rights.htm

3. eagles_fan

eagles_fan Well-Known Member

Well, honestly I have no idea.

But I still think you should seek treatment. I want you to live.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.