A life of miscommunication

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ThatOneDude, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThatOneDude

ThatOneDude Member

Today I had a small discussion with my english teacher about my comments in-class. I just recently changed schools, from an english-speaking school to a french-speaking school, and I sometimes compare both my english classes, as well as argue with the teacher over proper grammar (we have both won and lost some battles). Apparently my comments belittle the class, my classmates, and my teacher, but I don't really see why or how. He tried to explain it to me, but I just didn't get it. He says next time I do it, whether it is on purpose or not, I will be in trouble.

I have a tendency to say things incorrectly and often, if not always, people around me believe I imply insults or comments that are not truly implied. I am at a loss when it comes to this, but I'm soon going to start receiving professional help. Does anyone have advice on how I should deal with either my english teacher or people in general?

Thank you for your help.

2. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Hello, thanks for sharing this experience with us. Mis-communication can be a major issue in our lives. I'm sorry that this happened to you though. I think your teacher is just protecting other students, and he's just concern about your comments (that could be implied as insults). From my experiences you never argue with the instructor/teacher during class time. However, I've heard students do it after class hours in the teachers offices - and that's usually okay. It's good that your going for professional help. That's a major step forward in this case - mis-communication isn't always your fault. Sometimes things are heard incorrectly - and that happens. I think students are a little concerned because they just want to learn - and not get in the middle of the arguments. However, I'm glad that you shared this, and that your going to get professional help soon. I'm not qualified to give out to much advice. But, I can understand that you didn't get what your teacher was saying. Sometimes, their just talking for the class and your classmate's concerns or complaints. I'm not here to judge - but at least your taking a step forward by sharing and seeking help.

Trevor,

3. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I assume by your description that you are critiquing your teacher in the middle of class while he is in the process of doing his lecture? If so, the issue your teacher most likely has with this is that your interjections are disrupting the flow of his lesson. By bringing up debates right in the middle of everything, without (I assume) him inviting you or the other students to comment at that time, it simply makes it more difficult for him to do his job. This is an issue of timing, and not an issue with your questions. In this I will agree with Trevor, that you should make a conscious effort to hold your comments until you can speak to him after class. That way he can get through his lesson without interruption and will allow him to give you his undivided attention afterwards 1 on 1.

As for the implication of insults or lacking social tact... that, that just takes life experience. Therapy probably could help with that too; I don't personally know. I do understand what you're going through in this. It has been a lifelong challenge for me as well, one that I have only recently sought out professional assistance in dealing with.

4. Tmacster1

I agree with Mr. Stewart. The teacher is just trying to do his/her job without much interruption. Teachers make it a point to teach every student fairly, and to establish a safe atmosphere for learning. Teacher's to my knowledge are willing to allow students talk to them about their problems/concerns when appropriate. Typically after class or during after school or before school hours. This of course takes communication to establish an appointment. I agree with Mr. Stewart that's it's just and issue about timing, and not you personally because teachers aren't out to get you or others. They just want to make class safe environment for learning. But, at least your seeking out for some professional help that might be beneficial for you.

Trevor,

5. ThatOneDude

ThatOneDude Member

Actually, I usually go talk to him after class, but sometimes there are students within earshot. Nevertheless, you are correct and I should wait until all the students are out of the classroom. Thank you for your suggestions.

6. Tmacster1

Your welcome :hug: Please feel free to PM me if you need someone to talk to or if you need someone to chat with. I'm usually on most of the day and night when I'm not in class.

Trevor,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.