A Life Without Romantic Love

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Anonymous2, Sep 28, 2007.

?

The question wouldn’t fit so I put it on the first post.

1. Very strong correlation

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  2. Strong correlation

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Moderate correlation

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Weak correlation

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. No correlation

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

How strong is the correlation between being single for the first 20+ years of one’s life and being mentally ill and/or suicidal?

2. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

I’m 25 years old and I’ve never had a girlfriend. In fact, I’ve never been on a date, been kissed, or been hugged romantically. The older I grow, the more my heart yearns for love and the more socially retarded I become. As a child, I was shy. As a teen, I developed social anxiety disorder. Now, I have avoidant personality disorder http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avoidant_personality_disorder

I often speculate about what my life would have been like if I had started dating in my early teens like most normal people. I think that being single and without romantic affection for my entire life has caused me to become depressed, socially inept, and suicidal. Some people will say that being alone (without romantic love) for life does not cause significant mental disturbances; however, most people I’ve communicated with who are in a similar situation to my own are also dealing with serious bouts of depression/suicide and other socializing issues. Usually, the only people who say that being single for life is “no big deal” are people who have been in relationships.

In conclusion, I believe that there is a very strong correlation between being single for the first 20+ years of one’s life and being mentally ill and/or suicidal.

I do realize that there are some exceptions to this rule; however, in general, I think that being alone for so long can have a profound negative affect on one’s life.

3. Testify

Testify Well-Known Member

I have no particular desire to have romantic love. Sure, it would be life, but I don't particularly make steps towards acheiving it.

4. ACRon

ACRon Well-Known Member

i didn't vote, but i wanted to say that romantic love is a desire many feel, i don't know many people that it works out for in the end. Although I have seen many people gamble on life for that one person and enjoy the thrills and chills of possibility.

my second thought was regarding some psuedo scientific/pschological things but i don't feel its my place to say anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.