A link between Synesthesia and Autism?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by anarulesmenow, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

I was just wondering if anyone on here saw a link between Synesthesia and Autism?I have a form of Synesthesia and I have always had it where I see numbers, letters, days and months etc in certain colours. I have a friend who has a mild form of Aspergers syndrome and she was reading a book the other day called 'Born on a blue day'. At first I thought it was a book about Synesthesia because of the title but it's actually about how people with Asperger's syndrome often see days of the week and things like that as colours.I haven't read the book yet but I am planning to.I know I don't have asperger's syndrome or any type of autism, but I was just wondering if there was anyone out there who also thought there could be a link between the two because of the whole seeing colours thing.
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

All I can add is that I saw a documentary several years ago on autism and the manner in which it manifests itself. One of the cases was specifically about a link between "color" synesthesia and a mathematics-gifted autistic.

I'm sorry that I cannot provide the name of the program, but I just checked on the internet and there are several links for "synesthesia and autism". Take care.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2010
  3. Sapphire

Sapphire Well-Known Member

I think synesthesia is just a thing someone can have. I saw a scientist on TV once who had it and HE didn't have autism... Anyone can have it. I don't think there's a link at all, personally.
  4. anajosph

anajosph New Member

I don;t know about Synesthesia, but I have see some episodes on Autism.. It is in large number of in India. And mostly effective on children's. But sorry i don't know what is link between Synesthesia and Autism..
  5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

If someone was just visual orientated, and thought in images and colours, synesthesia would come naturally for them.
  6. neonjin

neonjin Member

I see music in colors.
  7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

me too :cool:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.