A little advice please....

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Landlocked blues, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone else has maybe been in the same or a similar situation.

Basically, i think im going to lose my job through taking time off all the time. in the last 3 months iv had maybe 6 weeks off with depression. I just cant handle it anymore. Not just the job but life in general. im really struggling to do everyday things let alone go to work and act like nothing is wrong. Losing my job does not seem like a bad idea right now as i would have less to worry about but I think if i did lose it, it would send me in a downward spiral of not bein good enough, blah blah blah. you get the picture. I have lost two jobs before this aswell. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Hey,

I'm sorry you've been struggling so much.

I think there are two issues, one, your mental health, and two, work.

1, Are you getting any sort of professional support? If so, what support are you getting? Do you feel it helps?

2, Have you seen Occupational Health? I would suggest asking to see them because they can ask your work to make 'reasonable adjustments' to help you, and, by law, they have to follow those.

I would also say contact MIND and get an Advocate, so that any meeting you go to about your mental health, the Advocate comes, and it can be ensured things are fair.

If you DO lose your job, then find something else that you can use as a focus. I have found volunteering to be the most amazing thing for my mental health. I can't cope with a job at all, but the volunteering is great because it gives me a purpose, some self esteem, some self worth, a reason to get up, etc. It can make a huge difference to depression and help lift you from it, so if you DO lose your job, maybe find something like this, that you feel you could enjoy.

If you do want to work, I would also suggest asking MIND if there is anything in your area that helps people with mental health problems get back into work because if you do have an organisation that does that, it can help with finding a job you feel able to cope with, and also provide support as you start and while you do the job, which can make it easier to say if you're struggling, and they can make adjustments so that you hopefully wouldn't take time off.

I lost my job and it was hard, but volunteering got me back on the straight and narrow somewhat (I volunteer at the RSPCA), and has made a huge difference.

Good luck! I hope things start to improve for you soon.

3. Landlocked blues

Thank you for your help. i am under the doctor but im on a 6month waiting list for a therepist!
    I have thought of doing voluntary work, yes. i think i would enjoy it too. like you say. keep me on the straight and narrow, something thats makes it all seem worth while.
    My dad has a mind advocate and says they have really helped him. thank you for backing this up. you helped alot. thank you.

4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

You dad is a wise man :) I would get the same because they can help a lot; same with Occupational Health. If they do fire you, then I would suggest talking to the CAB to see whether or not it is a fair dismissal, because it may not be.

6 months isn't too bad in terms of the NHS, although, when you feel as low as you do, it can feel like a lifetime. Have you looked into other avenues of support? Like MIND itself, see if they offer any support groups or anything in your area, same with saneline. Also, you could look into having a private therapist. It obviously costs, but the costs range, and generally, unlike the NHS, there won't be a particular session limit. You can find one via Counselling Directory, the Yellow Pages, BACP and other places too. If you have a specific thing you need help with, like Abuse, or Grief or anything, then there may be other charities that can help (like NAPAC for childhood abuse, Cruse, for bereavement, etc).

5. Landlocked blues

You are very knid. Thank you so much for all your help :hug:

6. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I also forgot to put about the volunteering. There are websites like http://www.do-it.org.uk/ and http://www.volunteering.org.uk/ but they don't have all the opportunities there. There will probably be a volunteer hub centre somewhere near you, who can have a chat with you and then help you find something because they generally have most of the volunteering opportunities around. Also, you can look independently if there is something specific you want to do. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.