a matter of time.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by jeregrette, Jul 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeregrette

jeregrette New Member

Hi. not sure what to start with.
    simply, i am having recurring and increasing frequency of suicidal thoughts. i have had these a number of times before in my life but the last two weeks plus they are gaining ground on the shreds of rationality left up there. if i have inadvertently wandered on to a site that is simply a device to lure vulnerable people to some organised religion, let me know and i shall leave... hastily.

the reasons for my slide into this depression are simple and unoriginal. i used to stop myself from doing anything drastic as i didn't want to upset those around me, i am caring far less about anyone now and so the brakes are being released.

due to my own incompetence i gave up a life that i had created overseas. a life that was everything i wanted. i walked away from it 6 years ago and i have not stopped regretting it since. lots of hate, mainly towards myself.

thanks for any suggestions.

2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hello and welcome to the forums.. Your safe here.. There are a couple of religous people here.. For the most part no one talks about it.. We simply offer support and hope.. Feel free to wander around the different forums and you will see what I mean..There are young members up to us old farts..So you have a wide base of people to talk to..

3. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

Welcome friend, I can vouch for the site not being a con to get people into religion. If it was I would have left years ago as well.

As for how to stop your thoughts. Well... that is a hard one. I find that distractions work. You say that six years ago you gave up a life with everything you wanted. If you were able to make it once you can make it again.

Do you mind telling me why you gave it up?

4. Azmodius

Azmodius Well-Known Member

It's not a religious site, I'm an ardent atheist, but there are a few who have faith (none of whom have been pushy, I thank them for that!)
    I reiterate what forgotten_man asked, what were the reasons for you leaving the life abroad?
    Also, don't worry bout attitudes here, just tell us what's bothering YOU, I'll try and help as best I can.

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi James and welcome to SF. There are a couple of religious people on SF (including me :)), but we're really not that bad and we won't try to convert you into any religion. We're just here to help. I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time in your life. SF is great site and has lots of helpful, caring people always ready to give you help and support during your difficult moments. :hug:

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

hey glad your here keep posting venting okay so others can help I am sorry you are so low right now I hope you can get help before you get even lower.

7. spiritxfade

spiritxfade Well-Known Member

Hello, welcome to the forum. It doesn't matter what the reason for your depression/suicidal thoughts are, vent away. We're here for support (and without trying to convert you to any religion). I hope we can give you the support you need/want and I hope things get better for you!

8. ready

ready Member

i am not religious either and i stumbled upon this site a few weeks ago. i've found it to be the safest place to talk openly about suicide. i have nowhere else to go that i feel safe. i would alarm too many people if they knew...

btw, dodge those cults. when you are in a weakened state of mind they will try to take advantage of that. i don't think you don't need organized religion. find 'god' on your own, he is probably within you if anywhere.

9. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

If you were able to make a life for yourself that you liked ,you can do it again. Dont gve up. Why do you feel so down on yourself. Lets us kno wthe whole story and we can help. PLEASE tell us whta brought you to this point and how we can help. You must be quite a smart and talented person to have created such a life and that means you can do it again. STAY here and we will be your friend and help you get back what you lost and also maybe find some new things to love about yourself!!!!

Write me if you like,

Marty

10. Rusty

Rusty New Member

Identify someone around you with a realistic short term goal or project, and then attempt to help them reach/accomplish that goal. Initially that will help focus your attention elsewhere and give you something to feel good about.

Next, try to find a way to let go of the past. The word "should have" needs to be removed from your mind. You made decisions in the past, and they did not work out like you anticipated. So instead of focusing on what "should have" been, try to focus on what "can be" in the future.

Now that you've helped your friend reach their goal, set a goal of your own. I would start with a short term goal. Within 2 weeks i will ______ (loose 3 pounds, save 100 dollars, meet 3 new people, help 3 strangers on the street, etc...). These need to be positive goals and it might be best if they were outward based, in that they are to assist or interact with others in a positive way. Depression breeds isolation, which in turn breeds more depression. Break the cycle. By interacting with others in a positive way you will be breaking trends of isolation as well as doing something positive for man-kind.

There are so many mistakes i've made in my life. So many circumstances i wish i could change. However had i not gone through these mistakes and unfortunate situations i would not be where i am today. Our life path is often difficult and sometimes seems as though we can not go on, but we can go on. The road ahead will be better, and we will be better, having been through the storm.

Good luck.

11. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

Hope you are ok. Praying for you!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.