A message about "treatment" to my North American friends

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ToHelp, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Hi there. I put up this exact topic word-for-word in The Uncertainty Principle two days ago, thinking it would get more exposure there.

Boy was I wrong! 51 hits, 0 replies, no love, omg. Might as well have been singing my story to a wall. lol And so here it is again, broken into a few short posts for readability, at last in the correct forum.

short and to the point
    If you have some advanced benzodiazepine dependence, we all know the only safe way to kick it is under close medical supervision.

Well I was just released from a six-day stay and was shocked at the backward thinking and misinformation dolled out by our psychiatrists and group therapists alike.

ToHelp

2. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

ah i always find it amusing taht its people who never experience feelings like ours taht are set the task of 'fixing' us

3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

^ LOL. True, Sheep. If you can help it you never want to wind up at the mercy of others for your mental wellbeing. My Lord. Best to stay out of the "deep shit" as I refer below to begin with.

my horror story
    Are you ready?

I was taken off phenobarbital and Klonopin cold turkey from stratosphereic levels and placed on.... Depakote??? to ensure I didn't seize. This is called minimal-level care to protect worst-case outcomes--NO titration, NO treatment for the incredible anxiety, restlessness.

In general, NO quarter, no mercy whatsoever. Welcome to America.

I was beat DOWN though, lowest ebb and there nothing I could do. My psych informed me, "Nope. Here, when patients come in addicted to any benzo, I just C/T them and wean them using phenobarbital for exactly five days--then stop everything."

OMG y'all. FIVE DAYS to get over a benzo addiction. THAT IS MEDIEVAL, which is why I linked to a page collectively authored by our boys across the pond.

That is taken from this page, and I beseech you whenever you have a spare few moments to look it over. It has some essential information and dispells a few longheld myths as well.

On that early, cold morning when I was discharged, I had nystagmus (jerky involuntary movement of the eyes) and trouble focusing so bad that I could literally could not see straight.

PLEASE read the link provided. It demonstrates a diametrically different approach to bzd detox btwn. the U.S. and U.K.

This was my experience and I live in the wonderful Commonweath of Virginia. You may well have other locales in different states which will take a more humane approach (namely, titrating you on a the same or cross-tolerant drug).

bottomline
    Don't get into deep shit. Nobody's going to really care on a personal level. Do Not order your medicines online.

LOL, let me tell you, when I got home on Friday 1/09/09, I was saved because some VERY helpful meds I'd ordered in mid December had arrived and I literally had some "relief" packages awaiting my return.

Ecck. A mess though, and it would be interesting to find out how others how fared detoxing in the U.S.

4. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

summation
    I don't know what kind of shape I would still be in now had I not reinstated Klonopin (Rivotril) coming on 72 hours later and frankly I cringe to image.

My C/T withdrawal yielded multifaceted, severe symptoms bordering on what's called withdrawal psychosis in which you lose all touch with reality.

Think. You have a cacophony of neurons firing in an electrical storm. With minimal or depleted GABA A pre- and post-synaptic reception, there is little to no GABAnergic activity.

(GABA is the major inhibitory neurotranmitter in your brain.)

Obviously I am feeling much more staballized/calm now but shit. Again, what if the relief meds hadn't arrived?

Don't even want to imagine. :no:

Oh and I mentioned backwards and misinformed "education" being given out by our group therapist. Well, one example is she claimed Klonopin (Rivotril) is the least potent benzo on the market when we all know that Xanax and Klonopin are THE most potent and addicting benzodiazepines synthesized to date.

Whole dang thing was a farce and you wonder 'WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE PEOPLE'? Are they even vetted? you know, tested?

ToHelp

5. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Nobody is trying to "fix you", to help just wants to help.

You can ignore it if you want :)

6. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

uh...I THINK her slightly sarcastic comments were directed at yon quacks
    to whom to_help had referred, and not to to_help himself. sheeps post was one of agreement and empathy, not criticism. sorry to be such a know it
    all. but hey, if ya got it? flaunt it :biggrin:

7. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

bugger. prolly the bends from goin off the benzos. have a few belts of
    a good single malt. the ghosties should dissipate :smile:

rough thing about yon firewater. it's really difficult to stay on a
    maintainence level. otherwise, whiskey be a fine medication indeed.
    yessir. better'n benzos. easier to quit too. but why would anyone
    want to?

anyway, sounds like the god damn spanish inquisition to me. maybe
    the phrase 'practicing medicine' is meant to be taken more literally
    than us labrats have previously been privy to. lovely.

8. HappyAZaClaM

HappyAZaClaM Guest

after this zany moderation thing, I'm gonna change my login name to
    ConversationStopper :)

has a nice ring to it. and looks cool in print or text. I like it. I'll give it
    a 14. easy to dance to and a good beat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.