A Musical Compedium

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Flying Fox, May 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Hallo one and all! I was inspired to make my very own thread for all that is musical and wonderful after seeing Cicada's own collection (go check it out) and repeatedly clogging up the What are you Currently Listening to Thread with an over abundance of posts.

Music has had a significant part in my life as long as I can remember. I hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Expect songs, music videos, animashes, rants and even crazy Guild Wars dancing ;D. (Is an obsessive music nut)

First piece is Jupiter by Gustav Holst. He has a whole series of songs named after the Planets, all of which are fantastic. Jupiter, aptly named the Bringer of Jollity, is my favourite of the series. It still gives me the thrills even after listening to it all these years.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2015
  2. Flying Fox

George Winston is a solo pianist who has been composing music since 1972. He has dedicated several albums to charity to help in the aftermath of disasters like 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina. He has also help make popular a Hawaiian method of playing the guitar, called slack-key guitar, and has worked with several of these guitarists. Ever since I can remember we have been listening to his music which evokes tranquility and calm. At his concerts he wears only socks and plain attire. His signature, one feature that he is best known for, is to play with the top of piano open and pluck the strings inside while playing. I am pleased to say that got to see this myself at one of his concerts which are really incredible. In this song, Hummingbird you can hear an example of that where what sounds like a guitar is actually the piano strings. He was born and raised in Montana and now lives in Santa Cruz.

This is one of my favourite pieces of his. He is an all-time favourite of mine. His music has always been therapeutic for me and never fails to lift my spirits. It is also great to listen to while reading, writing, drawing or just enjoying nature. This is all encompassed in a quote of his that I love:

"What I want to do as a musician is provide a soundtrack. Life is the film, and I'm doing the soundtrack."

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2015
  3. Flying Fox

Two Steps from Hell is a coalition of two instrumental artists, Thomas Bergersen and Nick Phoenix, formed to compose music for trailers and films. Since their formation in 2006, they have been one of the most prominent powerhouses for epic music, producing over a thousand tracks that have been featured in hundreds of trailers, movies, promotions and events hosted by an all manner of organizations. They have a distinct style of combining orchestral and instrumental scores with electronica and metal elements. In 2010 they released their first commercial album, Invincible, and have since then released several more commercial and demo albums. In 2014 Nick Phoenix joined forces with artist Otto Bjornik and created the ebook Colin Frake on Fire Mountain, accompanied with its very own tracks.

They are one of my favourite bands of all time and I was amazed to learn that TWFH only consisted of two artists, considering how amazingly prolific they are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.